Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: copyright

  • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
      On Nov 25, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Mickael Therer wrote:

      > At least here in Belgium and in France too and possibly many other
      > countries, the copyright of an architect always supersedes that of a
      > photographer. So you do hold the copyright on the photographic
      > document but you also owe royalties to the architect for reproducing
      > his work and he is entitled to sue you if you don't have the proper
      > authorisations. In this particular case I would first inquire what the
      > architect's position is regarding his own copyright and draft, from
      > there, a contract acceptable by all three parties.

      I think the most important factor here is that this is work for hire
      - you are not shooting for yourself and then selling your works, as
      in a gallery, you are being commissioned to shoot for a client.
      Bottom line though is discuss this with the client; even present them
      different quotes, one with a rights buyout, one where you maintain
      the rights and give them unlimited license to use the images as they
      see fit (or something less).

      It all depends how strong a hand you have with the client; but as
      Mickael says, there are other rights issues attached if you're
      shooting other creative works, so you likely won't own all rights
      associated with the images regardless.

      -Rh