A "Wikified" HDR software overview

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2006
      I have written a "wikified" HDR software overview, available on the
      Panotools Wiki:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview

      Because most of the mentioned software packagages still undergo massive
      development, I'd like to see this overview as community experiment,
      inviting everbody to amend and complete the lists, to stay up to date...

      Best regards
      Bernhard

      --
      Bernhard Vogl
      Vienna, Austria
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2006
        Bernhard Vogl schrieb:
        > I have written a "wikified" HDR software overview, available on the
        > Panotools Wiki:
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_Software_overview

        great!

        > Because most of the mentioned software packagages still undergo massive
        > development, I'd like to see this overview as community experiment,
        > inviting everbody to amend and complete the lists, to stay up to date...

        I'm currently adding pfstools (which is not windows GUI program, but should
        be included anyway), but I don't understand some of the table entries maybe
        some additional footnotes might be helpful. I'm not sure what the following
        field mean:

        Table HDR creation and tonemapping:

        1. tonemap image to LDR, single image

        2. tonemap image to LDR, panoramic mapping
        Does that mean that images are blended over the left/right border, and the
        "stretching" of equirectangular panos at nadir and zenith is correctly handled?

        Also, it might be a good idea to specify how much memory the programs are
        allowed to use (or at least how much memory the testing machine has),
        otherwise the "big" image test is not so meaningful. I tested pfstools on a
        machine with 1.5 GB RAM.

        ciao
        Pablo
      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2006
          Hello Pablo,

          Thank you for adding pfstools to this comparison. It surely deserves a
          place in the overview. I just didn't include it, as it has no full GUI.
          > I'm currently adding pfstools (which is not windows GUI program, but should
          > be included anyway), but I don't understand some of the table entries maybe
          > some additional footnotes might be helpful. I'm not sure what the following
          > field mean:
          >
          > Table HDR creation and tonemapping:
          >
          > 1. tonemap image to LDR, single image

          GUI-based tonemapping function, allowing to figure out paramaeters
          visually by working with a preview. I've added the term "GUI" to make
          this more clear.
          > 2. tonemap image to LDR, panoramic mapping
          > Does that mean that images are blended over the left/right border, and the
          > "stretching" of equirectangular panos at nadir and zenith is correctly handled?

          Yes, this is correct. I've also cleared this up a little more.
          > Also, it might be a good idea to specify how much memory the programs are
          > allowed to use (or at least how much memory the testing machine has),
          > otherwise the "big" image test is not so meaningful. I tested pfstools on a
          > machine with 1.5 GB RAM.

          Also corrected. It was a XP machine with 1 GB RAM.
          IMHO, there's no use of doing too exect measurements, the main point is,
          that i discovered a "magic border" while preparing the overview. With
          the given image size, it doesn't matter any more if the computer has 1
          or 2 GB of RAM, memory will run out and it is crucial if the software
          can handle this shortage of physical memory...

          Best regards
          Bernhard
        • Pablo dAngelo
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2006
            Hi Bernhard,

            > Thank you for adding pfstools to this comparison. It surely deserves a
            > place in the overview. I just didn't include it, as it has no full GUI.

            Yes, especially the hdr generation can be a bit bumpy. Actually cinepaint
            0.20 also has an HDR creation routine with a GUI, but it lacks tonemappers.

            >> Table HDR creation and tonemapping:
            >>
            >> 1. tonemap image to LDR, single image
            >>
            > GUI-based tonemapping function, allowing to figure out paramaeters
            > visually by working with a preview. I've added the term "GUI" to make
            > this more clear.

            There is a basic, but very useful GUI for the pfs tone mappers:
            http://tinyurl.com/texl8

            > Also corrected. It was a XP machine with 1 GB RAM.
            > IMHO, there's no use of doing too exect measurements, the main point is,
            > that i discovered a "magic border" while preparing the overview. With
            > the given image size, it doesn't matter any more if the computer has 1
            > or 2 GB of RAM, memory will run out and it is crucial if the software
            > can handle this shortage of physical memory...

            True, on most windows machines there is a hard border at 2 GB anyway.

            ciao
            Pablo
          • Bernhard Vogl
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2006
              Hello Pablo,

              > [...] on most windows machines there is a hard border at 2 GB anyway.

              Yes and no - the 2 GB limit topic is a complicated minefield:
              http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=474290&SiteID=17

              BTW: Most "Intel based" computers/servers which are available nowadays
              reveal other problems when inserting a large amount of memory (even on
              highend servers): Memory speed will significantly slow down due to
              backplane/bridge restraints ;-)

              Best regards
              Bernhard
            • jaclub2006
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2006
                > Because most of the mentioned software packagages still undergo massive
                > development, I'd like to see this overview as community experiment,
                > inviting everbody to amend and complete the lists, to stay up to date...

                It seems you don't know AutoPano Pro
                http://www.autopano.net/en
                It is the only stitching software I know which support HDR.
                It's worth have a look.
                Regards
                Jac
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2006
                  On Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 23:40, jaclub2006 wrote:

                  > It seems you don't know AutoPano Pro
                  > http://www.autopano.net/en
                  > It is the only stitching software I know which support HDR.

                  hugin/nona support it, too. See
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/HDR_workflow_with_hugin for details.

                  > It's worth have a look.

                  Yes, autopano pro is certainly worth a look. I tested a bit some
                  month ago, and I must admit that it looked impressive. Certainly a
                  challenge for the panotools based GUIs - expecially if fisheyes are
                  supported in the next version.

                  If you miss autopano pro, please add it to the comparison. That's why
                  it's on the wiki - it's hard to know anything that is on the market.
                  So please create an account (this is needed for editing) and add or
                  change whatever you want - no fears, your'e welcome!

                  best regards

                  http://www.erik-krause.de/
                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 27, 2006
                    Erik,

                    When I followed the link I noticed that it talks about "exporting to
                    PanoTools" so there is some form of interaction possible (I didn't
                    have time to search for the details, though).

                    A panorama photographer at the photo site I use has been telling me
                    how pleased he is with AutoPano Pro (and his work is certainly very
                    impressive). I introduced him to PTgui and he, in turn, was impressed
                    with it. It looks as if they are complementary. The lack of any
                    ability to handle fisheyes is rather a severe drawback, but the ease
                    with which multiple rectilinear images can be assembled into seamless
                    panoramas rather undercuts the reason for using fisheyes (which in my
                    case was to reduce stitching chores).

                    AutoPano Pro's handling of HDR is very impressive...

                    Roger

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                    Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 28, 2006
                      Hello Jac,

                      AutoPano Pro has built-n HDR functionality but it is a stitcher in the
                      first hand. If you take a look at the listed features in the overview,
                      you will notice that it doesn't make much sense to include AutoPano.

                      There are several other panorama-related applications that are
                      HDR-capable: Hugin/nona can stitch HDR, enblend can blend them.
                      Also, there are several applications available that don't run under
                      Windows but would deserve to be mentioned in the overview: e.g.
                      Radiance, Cinepaint (Film Gimp) and several others.
                      Everyone is welcome to complete the overview by adding missing
                      software... ;-)

                      Best regards
                      Bernhard