Re: [PanoToolsNG] leveling/squaring blues

  • Serge Maandag (yahoo)
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2006
      > http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/crooked-regents.html
      > What eludes me is an ironclad methodology to fix difficult rooms like this
      > one.

      I don't think there is any, except for having a perfect tripod and head
      without play and making sure the anchor shot is perfectly levelled..

      Usually setting two vertical control point at a 90 degree distance works
      for me. Sometimes I set three at 120 degrees distance.

      Sometimes I get away with just rightclick dragging the image in the ptgui
      editor until it looks straight enough to me.

      The trouble is that you have to tell what points should be exactly above
      other points. And in a crooked room that often is a bit of trial and
      error..

      Mathematically there's no difference in optimizing verticals before
      stitching and optimizing verticals on the equirectangular image.
      Optimizing the equirectangular is just an extra remapping pass that will
      effect in a bit more loss of detail. But it is usually easier to perform
      the trial and error on the equirectangular than it is to perform on the
      whole set of images.

      Serge.