PTools plugins and migration to Windows 7

  • scannerist
    Message 1 of 15 , May 14, 2010
      Hi All

      It's been a while since I dropped in so I'm behind on the latest news. Hope everyone is well.

      I recently bought a new Win 7 box and am getting ready to install CS4 32 and 64 bit apps. Or perhaps I should be thinking of skipping that all together and moving to CS5? And should I buy the Extended version for the sake of working with panoramics?

      What I'd like to know is whether PTAdjust can be used with 64 bit. I'm assuming not. Would also like to know if a revision is in the works.

      I used PTAdjust plugin withe CS4 for extracting the nadir so I could remove the tripod and then insert it back into the image. With my old XP machine, and when I was working on extremely large images, the machine would run out of memory during reinsertion albeit I bumped up the PC to 4GB RAM, etc. The new machine has 12GB of RAM.

      The alternative question is what is the most expeditious way of extracting the nadir and reinserting it after repair?

      Thanks for any assistance.

      pj
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 15 , May 14, 2010
        Hi PJ,

        I use PTGui templates to do any nadir retouching. You can see my tutorial
        here:

        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7kaXMTTk>

        Mark
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net

        ------------------------------------

        --
      • Ormar
        Message 3 of 15 , May 14, 2010
        • Jim Watters
          Message 4 of 15 , May 14, 2010
            On 2010/05/14 2:59 PM, scannerist wrote:
            > I recently bought a new Win 7 box and am getting ready to install CS4 32 and 64 bit apps.
            >
            > What I'd like to know is whether PTAdjust can be used with 64 bit. I'm assuming not. Would also like to know if a revision is in the works.
            >
            > I used PTAdjust plugin withe CS4 for extracting the nadir so I could remove the tripod and then insert it back into the image. With my old XP machine, and when I was working on extremely large images, the machine would run out of memory during reinsertion albeit I bumped up the PC to 4GB RAM, etc. The new machine has 12GB of RAM.
            >
            > pj

            I have a test version of PanoTools plugin for PhotoShop Windows 64bit.

            There are several things I still want to fix. I am in the middle of unpacking from a move. Once I get settled I will set aside some time to getting a release version for both 32bit and 64bit done.

            In the mean time this gives 64bit Windows users an option.
            For 32bit Windows it is best to continue to use the current plugins.

            Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by default here.
            C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters
            http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip

            Please report back any problems or issues so they can be corrected.

            --
            Jim Watters
            http://photocreations.ca
            Message 5 of 15 , May 14, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ormar" <rmrtmm@...> wrote:

              > Quick and easy in Photoshop.
              > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

              Glanced at it. Looks like a winner!

              Thanks!
            • scannerist
              Message 6 of 15 , May 14, 2010
                Many thanks, Jim!!!

                May I presume the plugins will work with CS5 Extended?
              • nburtey
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 5 6:54 AM
                  Hi Jim,

                  This 64bits plugin version is a great news !

                  Is it in stable release now ?

                  Regards,
                  Nicolas
                  http://www.nicolasburtey.net

                  > On 2010/05/14 2:59 PM, scannerist wrote:
                  > > I recently bought a new Win 7 box and am getting ready to install CS4 32 and 64 bit apps.
                  > >
                  > > What I'd like to know is whether PTAdjust can be used with 64 bit. I'm assuming not. Would also like to know if a revision is in the works.
                  > >
                  > > I used PTAdjust plugin withe CS4 for extracting the nadir so I could remove the tripod and then insert it back into the image. With my old XP machine, and when I was working on extremely large images, the machine would run out of memory during reinsertion albeit I bumped up the PC to 4GB RAM, etc. The new machine has 12GB of RAM.
                  > >
                  > > pj
                  > >

                  > I have a test version of PanoTools plugin for PhotoShop Windows 64bit.
                  >
                  > There are several things I still want to fix. I am in the middle of unpacking from a move. Once I get settled I will set aside some time to getting a release version for both 32bit and 64bit done.
                  >
                  > In the mean time this gives 64bit Windows users an option.
                  > For 32bit Windows it is best to continue to use the current plugins.
                  >

                  > Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by default here.
                  > C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters
                  > http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip
                  >
                  > Please report back any problems or issues so they can be corrected.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Jim Watters
                  > http://photocreations.ca

                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 6 5:02 AM
                    Sorry no progression. So far I have only got feedback from one person.
                    I have been using it for all my recent work and don't have any issues
                    with it. I have been busy doing some extensive landscaping to a house
                    we just moved into. I'll be switching to software development mode soon.

                    Jim Watters

                    --
                    Jim Watters
                    http://photocreations.ca
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6 8:04 AM
                      Hi Jim,

                      Okay thanks.

                      I'll try it, and let you know if I've any crash or bug

                      Regards,
                      Nicolas Burtey
                      http://www.nicolasburtey.net

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6 9:32 AM
                        Am 06.07.2010 14:02, schrieb Jim Watters:
                        > So far I have only got feedback from one person.

                        I don't have CS5 yet, but as soon as I will I'll be interested, too.

                      • scannerist
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 7 3:12 PM

                          > Sorry no progression. So far I have only got feedback from one person.

                          I've been using the extract and insert functions and they are working fine so far.

                          Thanks, Jim!!!
                        • nburtey
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 11 5:51 AM
                            Hi Jim,

                            The interface has been redesigned. It's really better !

                            If I can suggest you small things :

                            - Equirectangular is by default 0 degree. 360 should be a better options I think (with 0 degree, the output image is black ... spend some time to understand why)

                            - If the Rectilinear image size could be calculate automatically when the panorama is equirectangular (probably the most use options) :

                            If you put a sphere, and a plane tangent to this sphere, you can have the optimal plane dimension, depending of the fov and the input sphere size
                          • Marko Potocnik
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 30 2:35 AM
                              Thanks for 64 bit filters. I'm having problems with remap function.
                              Sometimes (when first using extract) the psd file it creates can not be
                              opened. Photoshop reports an that a file is not compatible with this
                              version. I'm using ps cs 5 64bit.

                              Regards,

                              Marko

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30 4:28 AM
                                Found a workaround, when using remap, source image must be a layer not a
                                background.

                                Regards,

                                Marko

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 30 5:01 AM
                                  Thanks. I'll look into this for the next release.
                                  Jim