copyright

  • mogwai1952
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
      I have been commissioned to take some pics (architectural) and it has
      been suggested that I give my client's (the architect) client(building
      owner) the copyright. What is "normal"?
      Any ideas on protecting my copyright ownership in general without
      having to pay substantial amounts to a depository such as the UK
      copyrigh service (£29 per deposit).
      Any thought gratefully received.
      Christopher
    • Rick Drew
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
        You can retain the copyrights or give the client ownership - that's up to
        you. There's rarely any reason to use a third party / government to
        register copyrights. Just draw up a simple contract detailing who the
        copyright holder is. That's a good idea anyway, especially in commissioned
        work!

        Rick Drew

      • Steve Climpson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
          mogwai1952 wrote

          > I have been commissioned to take some pics (architectural) and it has
          > been suggested that I give my client's (the architect) client(building
          > owner) the copyright. What is "normal"?
          > Any ideas on protecting my copyright ownership in general without
          > having to pay substantial amounts to a depository such as the UK
          > copyrigh service (£29 per deposit).
          > Any thought gratefully received.
          > Christopher

          In the UK, under the 1988 copyright act, you, the author have copyright. Do
          not give it away!
          You assign a license for an image and charge for usage
          This should explain more:
          http://www.copyright4clients.com/pdfs/Re-usage_Guidelines.pdf

          Kind Regards

          Steve

          Steve Climpson
        • Mickael Therer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
            At least here in Belgium and in France too and possibly many other
            countries, the copyright of an architect always supersedes that of a
            photographer. So you do hold the copyright on the photographic
            document but you also owe royalties to the architect for reproducing
            his work and he is entitled to sue you if you don't have the proper
            authorisations. In this particular case I would first inquire what the
            architect's position is regarding his own copyright and draft, from
            there, a contract acceptable by all three parties.

            -m

          • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
              On Nov 25, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Mickael Therer wrote:

              > At least here in Belgium and in France too and possibly many other
              > countries, the copyright of an architect always supersedes that of a
              > photographer. So you do hold the copyright on the photographic
              > document but you also owe royalties to the architect for reproducing
              > his work and he is entitled to sue you if you don't have the proper
              > authorisations. In this particular case I would first inquire what the
              > architect's position is regarding his own copyright and draft, from
              > there, a contract acceptable by all three parties.

              I think the most important factor here is that this is work for hire
              - you are not shooting for yourself and then selling your works, as
              in a gallery, you are being commissioned to shoot for a client.
              Bottom line though is discuss this with the client; even present them
              different quotes, one with a rights buyout, one where you maintain
              the rights and give them unlimited license to use the images as they
              see fit (or something less).

              It all depends how strong a hand you have with the client; but as
              Mickael says, there are other rights issues attached if you're
              shooting other creative works, so you likely won't own all rights
              associated with the images regardless.

              -Rh