360-degree screens

  • panometr
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2010
      Hi,

      I am writing my last chapter of my thesis and I would like to write a section about 360-degree screens.
      If you have information about 360-degree screens that are not on my list, please let me know.

      1. iPanorama (Leipzig) by Yadegar Asisi
      2. Elbedom (Magdeburg) - Fraunhofer Institute
      3. Cyclorama created by Matthias Taugwalder in Schwyz (2007)
      4. Cyclorama in Vision3D (Montreal)
      5. Arena360 (Plymouth) - February 2010
      6. Icci360 (Plymouth) - September 2010
      7. Niagara Falls

      Best wishes,
      Karol Kwiatek
      University of Plymouth
      www.charles3d.info
    • tommo77funk
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2010
        Hi Karol,

        Best of luck with the thesis, not sure if this is the right
        answer but Xrez
        http://www.xrez.com/tech-and-services/fulldome-theatre-production/ do a very
        cool planetarium full dome 360 projection and Aldo Hoeben did this great
        projection earlier this year http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldo/4444664777

        hope this helps :)

        tom
      • zakaTo
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2010
          What about a VR Cave? ... not really intended for displaying 360 panos ... but it is probably one of the first 360x360 displays

          Z.a.k.a.To

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panometr" <k_kwiatek@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am writing my last chapter of my thesis and I would like to write a section about 360-degree screens.
          > If you have information about 360-degree screens that are not on my list, please let me know.
          >
          > 1. iPanorama (Leipzig) by Yadegar Asisi
          > 2. Elbedom (Magdeburg) - Fraunhofer Institute
          > 3. Cyclorama created by Matthias Taugwalder in Schwyz (2007)
          > 4. Cyclorama in Vision3D (Montreal)
          > 5. Arena360 (Plymouth) - February 2010
          > 6. Icci360 (Plymouth) - September 2010
          > 7. Niagara Falls
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Karol Kwiatek
          > University of Plymouth
          > www.charles3d.info

        • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2010
            Hi Karol!

            Not really a 360 degrees screen, but a few years ago I projected panoramas
            on a trade show using a more or less square room:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/FelipeenFPK/CasaHabitat#

            The panos were QTVR movs programmed in Director 8.5. It was very crude for
            today standards.

            Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico

            --
            L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
            felipe@...

          • tom_a_sparks
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zakaTo" <avgs@...> wrote:

              > What about a VR Cave? ... not really intended for displaying 360 panos ... but it is probably one of the first 360x360 displays

              remeber it years ago....
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Automatic_Virtual_Environment
            • ahoeben41
              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2010
                > I am writing my last chapter of my thesis and I would like to
                > write a section about 360-degree screens.

                How far back do you want to go?
                Raoul Grimoin-Sanson designed, patented and built the Cinéorama, a panoramic film projection system involving ten synchronized projectors.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cin%C3%A9orama
                This was in - get this, no typo - 1897... He had varying amounts of success (his showing at the 1900 World Expo in Paris was canceled due to fire hazard), and his company ultimately failed.

                Another notable name in this area is Walt Disney (yes, one and the same), who was quite a fan of immersive projections
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle-Vision_360%C2%B0

                Nothing we do is really new, it has all been done before ;-)

                'do

                PS: Thanks for mentioning mine, Tom
              • Dave Thomson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2010
                  I once saw a presentation from the SPIE (Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers) on an anamorphic projector they had built for the US Army. It was a single projector suspended from the ceiling with a single glass slide that projected onto a 360 cylinder. The idea was to train soldiers to use a map and compass. Timeframe was about 1980-1985, and the presentation was in Orlando, FL.
                  Dave Thomson

                • tom_a_sparks
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ahoeben41" <aldo@...> wrote:
                    > Nothing we do is really new, it has all been done before ;-)

                    it just easier, even joe street user can record panoramaic video

                    > 'do
                    >
                    > PS: Thanks for mentioning mine, Tom
                    ok

                    tom
                  • panometr
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2010
                      Hi,

                      Thanks for your input.
                      Tom, Xrez's and Aldo's solutions are not 360-degree screens.
                      I am rather looking something similar to this solution:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWN1IGAl-s
                      It is not a dome projection system. It is a cylindrical projection system.

                      1. iPanorama (Leipzig) by Yadegar Asisi
                      2. Elbedom (Magdeburg) - Fraunhofer Institute
                      3. Cyclorama created by Matthias Taugwalder in Schwyz (2007)
                      4. Cyclorama in Vision3D (Montreal)
                      5. Arena360 (Plymouth) - February 2010
                      6. Icci360 (Plymouth) - September 2010
                      7. Niagara Falls
                      8. Swissorama
                      9. Panorama Festival ZKM
                      10. iCinema (Demonstrator 1)
                      11. iCinema (Demonstrator 2)
                      12. Cinéorama - 1900
                      13. Circarama (Dysney)

                      Please let me know if you know other 360-degree screens.
                      Karol
                      University of Plymouth

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panometr" <k_kwiatek@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I am writing my last chapter of my thesis and I would like to write a section about 360-degree screens.
                      > If you have information about 360-degree screens that are not on my list, please let me know.
                      >
                      > 1. iPanorama (Leipzig) by Yadegar Asisi
                      > 2. Elbedom (Magdeburg) - Fraunhofer Institute
                      > 3. Cyclorama created by Matthias Taugwalder in Schwyz (2007)
                      > 4. Cyclorama in Vision3D (Montreal)
                      > 5. Arena360 (Plymouth) - February 2010
                      > 6. Icci360 (Plymouth) - September 2010
                      > 7. Niagara Falls
                      >
                      > Best wishes,
                      > Karol Kwiatek
                      > University of Plymouth
                      > www.charles3d.info

                    • Henri Smeets
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 13, 2010
                        Not exactly 360 degrees either but interesting nonetheless:
                        http://jdome.com/the_jdome.asp the JDome
                        http://n4.nabble.com/file/n2197817/jDome-LE-COD4-w-projector_shop.jpg
                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14, 2010
                          Hello Karol,

                          Are you limited to screens that emits light or reflect projected images ?
                          If not this one should be included as well:
                          http://www.panorama-mesdag.com/#pagina=920

                          BTW, I think every panorama maker will really like this famous 360 painting,
                          it delivers the kind of close to real VR experience we are all after for.

                          Best,
                          Wim
                        • Bjørn K Nilssen
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 14, 2010
                            On 13 May 2010 at 15:26, panometr wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > Thanks for your input.
                            > Tom, Xrez's and Aldo's solutions are not 360-degree screens.
                            > I am rather looking something similar to this solution:
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWN1IGAl-s
                            > It is not a dome projection system. It is a cylindrical projection system.
                            >
                            > 1. iPanorama (Leipzig) by Yadegar Asisi
                            > 2. Elbedom (Magdeburg) - Fraunhofer Institute
                            > 3. Cyclorama created by Matthias Taugwalder in Schwyz (2007)
                            > 4. Cyclorama in Vision3D (Montreal)
                            > 5. Arena360 (Plymouth) - February 2010
                            > 6. Icci360 (Plymouth) - September 2010
                            > 7. Niagara Falls
                            > 8. Swissorama
                            > 9. Panorama Festival ZKM
                            > 10. iCinema (Demonstrator 1)
                            > 11. iCinema (Demonstrator 2)
                            > 12. Cinéorama - 1900
                            > 13. Circarama (Dysney)

                            There is a 260 degree at the North Cape center called Super Videograph AFAIK, made by Ivo
                            Caprino. But as it is not 360 degrees it may not count?

                          • Henri Smeets
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14, 2010
                              Wim Koornneef wrote:

                              > If not this one should be included as well:
                              > http://www.panorama-mesdag.com/#pagina=920

                              I've had the honor of shooting this panorama at a benefit some years ago:
                              http://www.c360.nl/mesdag/ have a look here !
                            • Jim Watters
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
                                Microsoft Research shows interacting with spherical images inside a
                                geodesic dome using pinch-to-zoom. Not a production unit and not made
                                for crowds, but shows some potential.
                                http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/microsoft-research-toys-with-the-cosmos-using-forefinger-and/

                                Jim Watters

                                --