The good news for today

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6, 2010
    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6, 2010
        Wow thanks for the news :)
        works really well on my iPhone 3G!

        On Thursday, May 6, 2010, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...> wrote:

        > Klaus is THE MAN!
        >
        > http://www.krpano.com/iphone/

        --

        Com os melhores cumprimentos,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
        Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2010
          KLAUS
          really
          ROCKS

          He's a develloper that really worries about his customers

          That's just GREAT and good news !!!

          Thanks
          AYRTON

          On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>wrote:

          > Klaus is THE MAN!
          >
          > http://www.krpano.com/iphone/

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 23 , May 6, 2010
            On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:51:08 +0900, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

            > KLAUS
            > really
            > ROCKS
            >
            > He's a develloper that really worries about his customers
            >
            > That's just GREAT and good news !!!

            > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM, jrgen_schrader
            > <panorama@...>wrote:
            >
            >> Klaus is THE MAN!
            >>
            >> http://www.krpano.com/iphone/

            Does this very impressive demo mean that all krpano functions
            will become accessible on the iPhone/iPad? Or are the hotspot
            and other functions too rooted in FLASH for that to be
            possible?

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 23 , May 6, 2010
              It depends how he's implementing the touch-sensitive element. I don't
              see any fundamental issue that would stop hotspots being possible, but
              you might not be able to click-n-drag on a hotspot to spin the pano.

              Ian

              On 7 May 2010, at 02:04, Roger D. Williams wrote:

              > Does this very impressive demo mean that all krpano functions
              > will become accessible on the iPhone/iPad? Or are the hotspot
              > and other functions too rooted in FLASH for that to be
              > possible?
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:53:17 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
                wrote:

                > It depends how he's implementing the touch-sensitive element. I don't
                > see any fundamental issue that would stop hotspots being possible, but
                > you might not be able to click-n-drag on a hotspot to spin the pano.
                >
                > Ian
                >
                > On 7 May 2010, at 02:04, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                >
                >> Does this very impressive demo mean that all krpano functions
                >> will become accessible on the iPhone/iPad? Or are the hotspot
                >> and other functions too rooted in FLASH for that to be
                >> possible?

                I see. Well, as my interest in hotspots is purely so that a VR tour can
                proceed to the next point of interest, I guess I shall have to start
                familiarizing myself with XML. That was the barrier keeping me away
                from krpano... <blush>

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                  Isn't this way of viewing the panos the very way that has been "banned" from
                  iDevices?

                  Just asking, based on the following:

                  To me (and I am in no way a coder) this looks like the "workaround" that is
                  what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the OS of the iDevices.

                  <script type="text/javascript">
                  var swf = createswf("krpano.swf");
                  swf.embed("krpanoDIV");
                  </script>

                  To me (and I am in no way a programmer/coder) this looks like the
                  "workaround" that is what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the
                  OS of the iDevices.

                  Someone who knows better please chime in!

                  Trausti

                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                    On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:03:46 +0900, Trausti Hraunfjord
                    <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                    > Isn't this way of viewing the panos the very way that has been "banned"
                    > from iDevices?
                    >
                    > Just asking, based on the following:
                    >
                    > <script type="text/javascript">
                    > var swf = createswf("krpano.swf");
                    > swf.embed("krpanoDIV");
                    > </script>
                    >
                    > To me (and I am in no way a programmer/coder) this looks like the
                    > "workaround" that is what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from
                    > the
                    > OS of the iDevices.
                    >
                    > Someone who knows better please chime in!

                    I doubt that I know better, but at a guess I would say that Jobs is
                    forbidding the creation of applications originally written using FLASH
                    being used on the iPhone\iPad and that this does not forbid people
                    from doctoring what is accessed via the iPhone/iPad browser. To put it
                    another way, server-side applications are out of his reach.

                    Roger W.

                    --
                    Business: www.adex-japan.com
                    Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                  • robert
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                      > To me (and I am in no way a programmer/coder) this looks like the
                      > "workaround" that is what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the
                      > OS of the iDevices.
                      >
                      > Someone who knows better please chime in!
                      >
                      > Trausti

                      Trausti,

                      You are wrong. Klaus has done this right, for the first time we really have 360's on an iphone/Pad without an APP.

                      The KRPano iPad/Phone support works in Apples Safari browser, it's NOT an App. If your panos are in KRPano on your web site and you use this solution they will just work when a visitor comes on a Mac, Pc, iPhone or iPad.

                      This is what I've been looking for, now it's just there, I love it, "NO app for that."

                      While I hope Dennis does come out with a killer update soon, (I have FPP, FFC and Pano2VR licenses too) if I were in your shoes I would be seriously thinking about adding KRPano output support to flashificator. Two pots better than one and at this point there's really no serious GUI for KRPano. And yes I have a license for AutoTour, but even it's current beta is extremely limited.

                      Now If I could just get Tommy on-board too laugh

                      Regards,

                      Robert
                    • Tom! Striewisch
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                        jrgen_schrader schrieb:
                        > Klaus is THE MAN!
                        >
                        > http://www.krpano.com/iphone/

                        Great news, seems that now I can stop fiddling around with Javascript by
                        myself, no need to think about making zoomgestures work.

                        The viewer could be even better, if the top url-part of the browser
                        could be scrolled out like in the "open-source"-solution.
                        This could bring a bigger screen for the panorama.

                        Now I'm waitng for hotspots and autorotation. ;-)

                        Tom!
                        www.langebilder.de
                      • b_dohrmann
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 6, 2010
                          Moin Juergen,

                          thanks for this great news!
                          ... Klaus is more than clever :-)

                          all the best
                          Bernd

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                            Am 07.05.2010 08:39, schrieb Tom! Striewisch:

                            > Now I'm waitng for hotspots and autorotation.

                            I'm not waiting for auto rotation (since I hate it ;-) but for multi
                            resolution support...

                          • prague
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                              Hey Robert,

                              First ?!!

                              We did this already, a while ago - based on someone else's code, to be sure (as such we made our code free and open)

                              this isn't the "first time" by any means :)

                              it's better than what 360cities has now, and easier for us (since we use krpano on the regular site) so i'm sure we'll move over to this sooner or later :)

                              anyway, yes, klaus is awesome!

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                > First ?!!
                                >
                                > We did this already, a while ago - based on someone else's code, to be sure (as such we made our code free and open)

                                Jeffery,

                                your missing the RIGHT part, Klaus is the first to do this right, all other iphone browser implementations - including 360cities, don't get it. I don't care if you can show a 360, it's the auto device sensing and transparent flip from flash to the javascript based support. This is the first thing that makes it really right.

                                I just opened up 360 ciies on my iphone and the home page still shows a ERROR - I need to download Flash - not going to happen on a iphone and if I have to click on a special link then I'm gone.

                                Klaus has thought this through and it shows.

                                Regards,

                                Robert
                              • Ken Warner
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                  The documentation says that you can use this viewer in Safari on
                                  a Mac by changing a parameter. Has anyone tried this?

                                  robert wrote:
                                  >> First ?!!
                                  >>
                                  >> We did this already, a while ago - based on someone else's code, to be sure (as such we made our code free and open)
                                  >>

                                  > Jeffery,
                                  >
                                  > your missing the RIGHT part, Klaus is the first to do this right, all other iphone browser implementations - including 360cities, don't get it. I don't care if you can show a 360, it's the auto device sensing and transparent flip from flash to the javascript based support. This is the first thing that makes it really right.
                                  >
                                  > I just opened up 360 ciies on my iphone and the home page still shows a ERROR - I need to download Flash - not going to happen on a iphone and if I have to click on a special link then I'm gone.
                                  >
                                  > Klaus has thought this through and it shows.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Robert

                                • Petr Vostrel
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                    2010/5/7 Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>

                                    > The documentation says that you can use this viewer in Safari on
                                    > a Mac by changing a parameter. Has anyone tried this?

                                    Haven't tried this Klaus' script, but generally 3D CSS transforms work in

                                    - iPhoneOS 2.0 and higher
                                    - Safari on Snow Leopard
                                    - or nightly builds of WebKit (the one positively working on Leopard
                                    is here: http://builds.nightly.webkit.org/files/trunk/mac/WebKit-SVN-r45754.dmg

                                    Btw: Magnificent job, Klaus!

                                    Petr Vostřel
                                  • Roger Howard
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                      On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                                      trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                                      > Isn't this way of viewing the panos the very way that has been "banned"
                                      > from
                                      > iDevices?

                                      Not remotely - it's using native capabilities of Webkit (the core of Mobile
                                      Safari) which wouldn't be there if they weren't meant to be used.

                                      > Just asking, based on the following:
                                      >
                                      > To me (and I am in no way a coder) this looks like the "workaround" that is
                                      > what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the OS of the iDevices.
                                      >
                                      > <script type="text/javascript">
                                      > var swf = createswf("krpano.swf");
                                      > swf.embed("krpanoDIV");
                                      > </script>
                                      >
                                      > To me (and I am in no way a programmer/coder) this looks like the
                                      > "workaround" that is what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the
                                      > OS of the iDevices.

                                      That SWF doesn't actually get displayed on the iPhone/iPad - there's a
                                      switcheroo that happens which replaces the SWF-based pano viewer (totally
                                      unworkable on iPhone OS) with a pure Webkit-based viewer. So no, this
                                      doesn't at all conflict with the iPhone OS Flash restrictions as it never
                                      touches Flash (nor could it, since there's no Flash plugin for iPhone
                                      Safari).

                                      -R

                                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                        Thanks for the clarification. I was obviously wrong, but the reference to
                                        swf was what got me on the wrong track of thinking. Again many thanks for
                                        clearing this up for me guys!

                                        Trausti

                                        On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

                                        > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                                        >
                                        > trausti.hraunfjord@... <trausti.hraunfjord%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > Isn't this way of viewing the panos the very way that has been "banned"
                                        > > from
                                        > > iDevices?
                                        > >

                                        > Not remotely - it's using native capabilities of Webkit (the core of Mobile
                                        > Safari) which wouldn't be there if they weren't meant to be used.
                                        >

                                        > > Just asking, based on the following:
                                        > >
                                        > > To me (and I am in no way a coder) this looks like the "workaround" that
                                        > is
                                        > > what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from the OS of the iDevices.
                                        > >
                                        > > <script type="text/javascript">
                                        > > var swf = createswf("krpano.swf");
                                        > > swf.embed("krpanoDIV");
                                        > > </script>
                                        > >
                                        > > To me (and I am in no way a programmer/coder) this looks like the
                                        > > "workaround" that is what caused Steve Jobs to forbid such things from
                                        > the
                                        > > OS of the iDevices.
                                        > >
                                        > That SWF doesn't actually get displayed on the iPhone/iPad - there's a
                                        > switcheroo that happens which replaces the SWF-based pano viewer (totally
                                        > unworkable on iPhone OS) with a pure Webkit-based viewer. So no, this
                                        > doesn't at all conflict with the iPhone OS Flash restrictions as it never
                                        > touches Flash (nor could it, since there's no Flash plugin for iPhone
                                        > Safari).
                                        >
                                        > -R

                                      • Eric O'Brien
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 8, 2010
                                          The first video just made me smile!

                                          Never mind whether the "exotic" stuff is in there, the basics are.

                                          Clearly, the answer to "don't I NEEEEED Flash? is "no."

                                          All the hysteria, all the PANIC... and in only a few weeks we are
                                          presented with very clear progress.

                                          eo

                                          On May 6, 2010, at 1:19 PM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                                          > Klaus is THE MAN!
                                          >
                                          > http://www.krpano.com/iphone/

                                        • tom_a_sparks
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 8, 2010
                                            > > On 7 May 2010, at 02:04, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > >> Does this very impressive demo mean that all krpano functions
                                            > >> will become accessible on the iPhone/iPad? Or are the hotspot
                                            > >> and other functions too rooted in FLASH for that to be
                                            > >> possible?
                                            >
                                            > I see. Well, as my interest in hotspots is purely so that a VR tour can
                                            > proceed to the next point of interest, I guess I shall have to start
                                            > familiarizing myself with XML. That was the barrier keeping me away
                                            > from krpano... <blush>

                                            I can see the day when panoramaic virtual tours is group of XMLs and images files translated via gd (images editor) and XSL to what ever format is needed, HTML+flash, HTML5/CSS, webGL, X3D etc

                                            tom
                                          • tom_a_sparks
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 8, 2010
                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Eric O'Brien <ericob@...> wrote:

                                              > The first video just made me smile!
                                              >
                                              > Never mind whether the "exotic" stuff is in there, the basics are.
                                              >
                                              > Clearly, the answer to "don't I NEEEEED Flash? is "no."
                                              >
                                              > All the hysteria, all the PANIC... and in only a few weeks we are
                                              > presented with very clear progress.
                                              >
                                              > eo
                                              Now more reasons to get rid of flash

                                              Apple and their iDevice has made us look at our depends on flash...

                                              I waiting to see panoramaic video version :)

                                              tom
                                            • Bruce Hemming
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 8, 2010
                                                This is certainly an interesting and most welcome development. As I
                                                don't have krpano (yet) can anyone give me real world feedback on its
                                                performance compared with app viewers? How long does it take to
                                                display with a wifi connection? Also how does it compare when there
                                                is no wifi?

                                                It's fantastic that we now have real choice in the means of delivery,
                                                I just want to make sure that I can offer the best solutions to my
                                                clients.

                                                Many thanks

                                                Bruce

                                                Bruce Hemming
                                                Bruce Hemming Photography
                                                Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                                                Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                                                e-Mail: bruce@...
                                                Skype: bhemmingphoto
                                                web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

                                              • prague
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 8, 2010
                                                  Sorry Robert, that's because we didn't bother to put it on the home page yet. ;-) nothing to do with our implementation of non-flash pano viewing code.

                                                  go to any image page, e.g. www.360cities.net/image/a-busy-morning same page on iphone or desktop, it will load the iphone version if you're on an iphone

                                                  not trying to be pedantic, only clear. what klaus has done is great but no different than us in terms of iphone/desktop detection. (that is in fact the easiest part - just set useragent)

                                                  cheers
                                                  jeffrey