Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: All i can say is WOW!

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 17 , May 4, 2010
      This is (bad) news to me, but not surprising. It only proves that lawyers
      and their clients are smarter than the rest of us.

      They can get those things worked into license agreements, and we are too
      dimwitted to even read the manuals and understand what the written words
      mean.

      "Freedom" is just another word to keep us all imprisoned in our own
      imaginary "free world"..

      We need a new FREE codec that gets rid of the current one. Or maybe make
      cameras that record directly into Flash video? That would exclude Apple
      devices to play the videos, but since apple is promoting the h.264 video as
      the way to go... I think it would only be the right thing to do.

      Why can't there be some GOOD news... the kind that give a warm cosy feeling
      :)

      Trausti

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4, 2010
        In case you want a viewpoint that doesn't conform to the existing narrative:

        http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000101-264.html

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2010
          Ok, I take that as the good news of the day... and agree with the author
          that the used language gives reason to be worried... it's an open aircraft
          hangar door for lawsuits, if they'd go crazy and like to increase their
          income in such a way.

          Trausti8

          On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

          > In case you want a viewpoint that doesn't conform to the existing
          > narrative:
          >
          > http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000101-264.html

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 17 , May 4, 2010
            >"Freedom" is just another word to keep us all imprisoned in our own
            >imaginary "free world"..

            I though freedom was just another word for nothing left to lose...

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 17 , May 4, 2010
              On 4 May 2010, at 18:00, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

              > Or maybe make cameras that record directly into Flash video?

              What codec does the majority of Flash video use? h264...

              Ian
            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 17 , May 4, 2010
                darn... another dead-born idea of mine...

                Trausti

                On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Ian Wood <panolists@...>wrote:

                > What codec does the majority of Flash video use? h264...
                >
                > Ian

              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 17 , May 4, 2010
                  Yep. :-(

                  One of the reasons why h264 is so common these days (apart from being
                  a good codec in itself) is that you can feed Flash, HTML5 and QT all
                  off the same source file.

                  Ian

                  On 4 May 2010, at 23:48, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                  > darn... another dead-born idea of mine...
                • tom_a_sparks
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 4, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                    > On 4 May 2010, at 18:00, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                    >
                    > > Or maybe make cameras that record directly into Flash video?
                    >
                    > What codec does the majority of Flash video use? h264...
                    >
                    > Ian

                    the theora community are looking creating a video camera that may
                    support theora/vp8/Dirac/Mjpg/etc see http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2010-May/003778.html thread
                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 4, 2010
                      Always something new to learn. Thanks for the link... it got me surfing for
                      a bit. To save others from too much surfing for the basics:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora
                      http://www.theora.org/faq/

                      Again thank you.

                      Trausti

                      On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

                      the theora community are looking creating a video camera that may
                      > support theora/vp8/Dirac/Mjpg/etc see
                      > http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2010-May/003778.html thread

                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 5, 2010
                        Ignore the mfs and let them be overwhelmed by the masses.