Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

      > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
      > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
      > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
      > that... but it still has space to be improved.

      I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
      It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
      Stamp.

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2010
        Hello Trausti,

        Thanks for the images.
        A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
        original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
        comparison:

        http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

        Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
        brush with content aware tool ?

        I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
        of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
        left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
        3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
        causing a bad 3D experience.

        Wim

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2010
          Hello Trausti,

          Thanks for the examples.
          I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

          http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

          Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
          the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
          content aware healing brush ?

          Wim

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2010
            Oops...
            I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
            was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
            Wim
          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2010
              I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
              content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
              result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
              the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
              close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
              out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
              not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
              Tool.

              I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
              feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
              it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

              If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
              based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
              tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

              Trausti