Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

      Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

      > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
      > brushes.
      > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
      > are
      > there any examples ?
      >
      > Wim

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

        > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
        > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
        > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
        > that... but it still has space to be improved.

        I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
        It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
        Stamp.

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2010
          Hello Trausti,

          Thanks for the images.
          A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
          original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
          comparison:

          http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

          Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
          brush with content aware tool ?

          I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
          of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
          left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
          3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
          causing a bad 3D experience.

          Wim

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2010
            Hello Trausti,

            Thanks for the examples.
            I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

            http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

            Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
            the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
            content aware healing brush ?

            Wim

          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2010
              Oops...
              I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
              was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
              Wim
            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                Tool.

                I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                Trausti