Re: Snow on the trail: Contrasts

  • prague
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2010
      with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:

      1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.

      2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

      > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
      >
      > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
      >

      > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
      >
      > JL

    • JL
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2010
        >Master, forgive me.
        > But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

        Jurgen
        All is forgiven and possibly explained by the fact that my 7 evs were only half an ev apart, I now discover, so I'll take another look.

        Must do better, to do justice to those amazing landscapes!

        JL
      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2010
          Wow - I love that image! I wonder how many places in the world you encounter "mule alert" signs? And how many people would be foolish enough to block the way of a mule on a narrow trail?

          I wish I could have made it to Tucson 8-P

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          (h)864-461-3504
          (c)864-431-7075
          (w)864-503-5775

          On May 1, 2010, at 8:55 AM, john wrote:

          > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
          >
          > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
          > JL

        • 1drey
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2010
            Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

            Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if I shoot jpg.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

            > with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:
            >
            > 1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.
            >
            > 2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@> wrote:
            > >

            > > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
            > >
            > > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
            > >

            > > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
            > >
            > > JL

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2010
              Sometime around 3/5/10 (at 13:27 +0000) 1drey said:

              >Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors

              Yes, but that's working with 8-bit post-processed colour pixels, not
              with the original sensor data. In that respect it isn't the ideal
              workflow if you're particularly concerned about quality control.
              Although it does offer some advantages.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                Am 03.05.2010 15:27, schrieb 1drey:
                > Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW
                > processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                Yes, if CA is correctable. Unfortunately not all CA is correctable after
                bayer interpolation: http://wiki.panotools.org/CA#Strange_Example
                ;-)

                > Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if
                > I shoot jpg.

                How does the camera know about the lens? Did you enter correction data
                or is there a database somewhere? Or does the camera determine CA?

              • onezebra1
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2010

                  > Very .. errr ... cool!
                  > Great image, John.
                  >
                  > Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
                  > http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/
                  >
                  > Jürgen

                  Hi Jürgen,
                  I love your pano showing the Grand Canyon, very fine detail and makes me want to go there to see even more.

                  I would like to ask, what setup did you use for shooting that pano?

                  Thanks,
                  Roger Berry