Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
      the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
      from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
      that... but it still has space to be improved.

      Trausti

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

      > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
      > and hardness to

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
        brushes.
        If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
        there any examples ?

        Wim
      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
          http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

          Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

          On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

          > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
          > brushes.
          > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
          > are
          > there any examples ?
          >
          > Wim

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

            > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
            > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
            > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
            > that... but it still has space to be improved.

            I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
            It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
            Stamp.

          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2010
              Hello Trausti,

              Thanks for the images.
              A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
              original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
              comparison:

              http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

              Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
              brush with content aware tool ?

              I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
              of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
              left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
              3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
              causing a bad 3D experience.

              Wim

            • Wim Koornneef
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                Hello Trausti,

                Thanks for the examples.
                I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                content aware healing brush ?

                Wim

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                  Oops...
                  I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                  was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                  Wim
                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                    I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                    content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                    result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                    the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                    close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                    out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                    not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                    Tool.

                    I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                    feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                    it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                    If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                    based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                    tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                    Trausti