Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      That's correct Woody.

      With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
      be "la-la-ok":

      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

      The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
      and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
      improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
      trick... if there is a trick available.

      Trausti

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:

      > Greg,
      >
      > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
      >
      > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
      > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
      > then
      > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
      > jumbled second image.
      >
      > Not very encouraging.
      >
      > Woody

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

        > That's correct Woody.
        >
        > With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
        > be "la-la-ok":
        >
        > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
        > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
        >
        > The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
        > and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
        > improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
        > trick... if there is a trick available.
        >
        > Trausti
        >

        > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Greg,
        > >
        > > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
        > >
        > > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
        > > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
        > > then
        > > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
        > > jumbled second image.
        > >
        > > Not very encouraging.
        > >
        > > Woody

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
          the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
          from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
          that... but it still has space to be improved.

          Trausti

          On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

          > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
          > and hardness to

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
            brushes.
            If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
            there any examples ?

            Wim
          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2010
              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

              Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

              On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

              > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
              > brushes.
              > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
              > are
              > there any examples ?
              >
              > Wim

            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                > that... but it still has space to be improved.

                I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
                It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
                Stamp.

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                  Hello Trausti,

                  Thanks for the images.
                  A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
                  original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
                  comparison:

                  http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                  Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
                  brush with content aware tool ?

                  I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
                  of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
                  left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
                  3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
                  causing a bad 3D experience.

                  Wim

                • Wim Koornneef
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                    Hello Trausti,

                    Thanks for the examples.
                    I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                    http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                    Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                    the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                    content aware healing brush ?

                    Wim

                  • Wim Koornneef
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                      Oops...
                      I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                      was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                      Wim
                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                        I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                        content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                        result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                        the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                        close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                        out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                        not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                        Tool.

                        I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                        feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                        it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                        If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                        based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                        tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                        Trausti