Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Woody Howard
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      Greg,

      Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.

      It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
      starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and then
      executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
      jumbled second image.

      Not very encouraging.

      Woody

      >>Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.

      Here before/after images:

      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

      ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
      to cut the logo out.

      Trausti

    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        Oops I miss read the post, I was hoping the reverse was true.

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          That's correct Woody.

          With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
          be "la-la-ok":

          http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
          http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

          The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
          and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
          improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
          trick... if there is a trick available.

          Trausti

          On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:

          > Greg,
          >
          > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
          >
          > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
          > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
          > then
          > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
          > jumbled second image.
          >
          > Not very encouraging.
          >
          > Woody

        • Richard
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

            > That's correct Woody.
            >
            > With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
            > be "la-la-ok":
            >
            > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
            > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
            >
            > The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
            > and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
            > improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
            > trick... if there is a trick available.
            >
            > Trausti
            >

            > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Greg,
            > >
            > > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
            > >
            > > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
            > > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
            > > then
            > > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
            > > jumbled second image.
            > >
            > > Not very encouraging.
            > >
            > > Woody

          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2010
              Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
              the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
              from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
              that... but it still has space to be improved.

              Trausti

              On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

              > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
              > and hardness to

            • Wim Koornneef
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                brushes.
                If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
                there any examples ?

                Wim
              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                  http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
                  http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

                  Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

                  On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                  > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                  > brushes.
                  > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
                  > are
                  > there any examples ?
                  >
                  > Wim

                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                    On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                    > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                    > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                    > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                    > that... but it still has space to be improved.

                    I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
                    It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
                    Stamp.

                  • Wim Koornneef
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                      Hello Trausti,

                      Thanks for the images.
                      A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
                      original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
                      comparison:

                      http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                      Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
                      brush with content aware tool ?

                      I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
                      of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
                      left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
                      3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
                      causing a bad 3D experience.

                      Wim

                    • Wim Koornneef
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                        Hello Trausti,

                        Thanks for the examples.
                        I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                        http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                        Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                        the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                        content aware healing brush ?

                        Wim

                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                          Oops...
                          I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                          was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                          Wim
                        • Trausti Hraunfjord
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                            I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                            content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                            result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                            the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                            close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                            out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                            not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                            Tool.

                            I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                            feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                            it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                            If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                            based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                            tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                            Trausti