Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Greg Nuspel
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        Greg,

        Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.

        It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
        starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and then
        executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
        jumbled second image.

        Not very encouraging.

        Woody

        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          Oops I miss read the post, I was hoping the reverse was true.

        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            That's correct Woody.

            With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
            be "la-la-ok":

            http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
            http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

            The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
            and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
            improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
            trick... if there is a trick available.

            Trausti

            On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:

            > Greg,
            >
            > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
            >
            > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
            > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
            > then
            > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
            > jumbled second image.
            >
            > Not very encouraging.
            >
            > Woody

          • Richard
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2010
              The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

              > That's correct Woody.
              >
              > With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
              > be "la-la-ok":
              >
              > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
              > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
              >
              > The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
              > and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
              > improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
              > trick... if there is a trick available.
              >
              > Trausti
              >

              > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Greg,
              > >
              > > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
              > >
              > > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
              > > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
              > > then
              > > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
              > > jumbled second image.
              > >
              > > Not very encouraging.
              > >
              > > Woody

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                that... but it still has space to be improved.

                Trausti

                On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
                > and hardness to

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                  If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                  brushes.
                  If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
                  there any examples ?

                  Wim
                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                    http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
                    http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

                    Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

                    On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                    > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                    > brushes.
                    > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
                    > are
                    > there any examples ?
                    >
                    > Wim

                  • Bjørn K Nilssen
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                      On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                      > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                      > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                      > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                      > that... but it still has space to be improved.

                      I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
                      It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
                      Stamp.

                    • Wim Koornneef
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                        Hello Trausti,

                        Thanks for the images.
                        A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
                        original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
                        comparison:

                        http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                        Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
                        brush with content aware tool ?

                        I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
                        of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
                        left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
                        3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
                        causing a bad 3D experience.

                        Wim

                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                          Hello Trausti,

                          Thanks for the examples.
                          I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                          http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                          Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                          the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                          content aware healing brush ?

                          Wim

                        • Wim Koornneef
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                            Oops...
                            I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                            was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                            Wim
                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                              I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                              content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                              result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                              the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                              close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                              out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                              not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                              Tool.

                              I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                              feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                              it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                              If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                              based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                              tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                              Trausti