Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Photoshop cs5

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
      rather messy result. The lines between the tiles did not match at all. I
      have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
      aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
      feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

      Here before/after images:

      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

      ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
      to cut the logo out.

      Trausti

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

      > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
      > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.
        I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
        rather messy result. The lines between the tiles did not match at all. I
        have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
        aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
        feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

        Here before/after images:

        http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
        http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

        ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
        to cut the logo out.

        Trausti

        On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

        > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
        > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

      • Woody Howard
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          Greg,

          Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.

          It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
          starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and then
          executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
          jumbled second image.

          Not very encouraging.

          Woody

          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            Oops I miss read the post, I was hoping the reverse was true.

          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2010
              That's correct Woody.

              With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
              be "la-la-ok":

              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

              The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
              and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
              improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
              trick... if there is a trick available.

              Trausti

              On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:

              > Greg,
              >
              > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
              >
              > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
              > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
              > then
              > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
              > jumbled second image.
              >
              > Not very encouraging.
              >
              > Woody

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

                > That's correct Woody.
                >
                > With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
                > be "la-la-ok":
                >
                > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
                > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
                >
                > The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
                > and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
                > improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
                > trick... if there is a trick available.
                >
                > Trausti
                >

                > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Greg,
                > >
                > > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
                > >
                > > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
                > > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
                > > then
                > > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
                > > jumbled second image.
                > >
                > > Not very encouraging.
                > >
                > > Woody

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                  Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                  the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                  from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                  that... but it still has space to be improved.

                  Trausti

                  On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                  > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
                  > and hardness to

                • Wim Koornneef
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                    If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                    brushes.
                    If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
                    there any examples ?

                    Wim
                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
                      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

                      Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

                      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                      > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                      > brushes.
                      > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
                      > are
                      > there any examples ?
                      >
                      > Wim

                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                        On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                        > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                        > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                        > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                        > that... but it still has space to be improved.

                        I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
                        It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
                        Stamp.

                      • Wim Koornneef
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                          Hello Trausti,

                          Thanks for the images.
                          A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
                          original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
                          comparison:

                          http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                          Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
                          brush with content aware tool ?

                          I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
                          of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
                          left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
                          3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
                          causing a bad 3D experience.

                          Wim

                        • Wim Koornneef
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                            Hello Trausti,

                            Thanks for the examples.
                            I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                            http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                            Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                            the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                            content aware healing brush ?

                            Wim

                          • Wim Koornneef
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                              Oops...
                              I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                              was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                              Wim
                            • Trausti Hraunfjord
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                                I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                                content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                                result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                                the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                                close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                                out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                                not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                                Tool.

                                I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                                feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                                it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                                If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                                based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                                tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                                Trausti