Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: VR Photography book now shipping!

  • Greg Nuspel
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2010
      Maybe we could get a group buy of the book for Canadians to one address and then send them out to each person wanting a copy. Should be way less expensive than the present method. I just don't like seeing a shipper make more money than the author.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2010
        Peter,

        Thank you for your kind words. Credit and thanks are due to many in
        the VR photography community who helped out.

        Regards,

        Scott Highton
        Author, Virtual Reality Photography
        Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

        ------------------------

        Peter Schaible wrote:

        Mr. Highton,

        I have received your book and it is splendid in every way. Absolutely
        amazing!

        Thank you for writing it, and thanks for having it designed so well.
        Too many publishers overlook the necessity for great graphic design
        and well-handled, serif typefaces.

        You did an outstanding job all around.

        My sincere congratulations!

        -- Peter A. Schaible

        > For an online preview of the book, and to order your copy, go to:
        > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
        >

        > Virtual Reality Photography
        > ISBN: 978-0-615-34223-8
        > $44.95 (US)
        > 8.5"x11", full color
        > 320 pages with over 300 illustrations

      • Scott Highton
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2010
          Hi all,

          I very much appreciate your concerns about the costs of international
          shipping for my Virtual Reality Photography book. As posted here
          previously, we have looked into every possibility we can for reducing
          these costs, but this is as low as we can get it right now. The book
          is fairly big -- it weighs just about three pounds, and these are the
          costs we have to pay to ship it internationally via U.S. Postal
          Service (the cheapest method we could find, so far).

          For reference, if we used UPS or Fed Ex, the shipping charges alone
          would be about $110.00 USD (as compared to the $28.95 we can charge
          for first class mail via USPS). Somehow, I doubt very much that
          international clients will want to pay $115.00 for shipping and
          handling on a $44.95 book, even though you might avoid customs fees.)

          We have also looked into batch shipping (i.e. sending multiple copies
          to a single address in a given country for distribution from there)
          but the costs get even higher (due to the additional shipping an
          handling in country). Shipping out of the United States is charged
          primarily by weight, so a box of 10 books costs very close to 10 times
          as much as shipping for a single book alone.)

          We remain open to all possibilities and suggestions on this. We have
          also explored Amazon and Barnes & Noble as distributors, but found
          that their contract terms would result in a financial loss for us on
          every book they sold (which we cannot afford). Their contracts are
          designed more for the high volume publisher, who has much lower
          production costs per book than ours.

          For those of you in Canada, the best options I can suggest are to
          perhaps ship the book to a friend or associate in the U.S., and to
          then pick it up on your next visit. Shipping costs would be
          significantly lower, and any customs declarations and fees would be
          handled in your own border crossing.

          Thanks for your interest, and again, please let us know if you have
          any insights into cheaper alternatives for international shipping. If
          we can find another viable (and legal) means to help reduce these
          costs, we will gladly pass the savings on.

          Best,

          Scott Highton
          Author, Virtual Reality Photography
          Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

          > For an online preview of the Virtual Reality Photography book, or
          to order your copy, go to:
          > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
          >
          > Virtual Reality Photography
          > ISBN: 978-0-615-34223-8
          > $44.95 (US)
          > 8.5"x11", full color
          > 320 pages with over 300 illustrations

        • Matthew Rogers
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2010
            Doesn't seem like you've tried too hard to negotiate decent rates. We
            can ship a 5lb box next day from the uk to anywhere in the US for $50.
            Shipping 50lb shouldn't cost 10x as much. FedEx charge us $125 for
            50lbs, only 2.5x as much. These are also UK rates, shipping from the
            US back to the UK is almost 40% cheaper.

            You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
            some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
            each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
            example they will up your discount tier.

            Matt

          • Uri Cogan
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2010
              On 5/2/10 4:20 PM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

              > You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
              > some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
              > each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
              > example they will up your discount tier.

              As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
              will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
              receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.

              Gerg Nuspel recommended group buying for Canadians but the extra mailing
              from Montreal to Vancouver will probably cost too much as well.

              Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
              visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
              them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?

              --

              Uri Cogan
              http://www.uricogan.com

              * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

            • Don Bain
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                On May 2, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Uri Cogan wrote:
                > Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
                > visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
                > them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?

                I will be glad to do this, but won't be in Canada again until August. Arrange it with Scott if this is of interest.

                Don
              • Matthew Rogers
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2010

                  > > You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
                  > > some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
                  > > each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
                  > > example they will up your discount tier.
                  > >

                  > As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
                  > will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
                  > receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.

                  The brokerage fees have nothing to do with the courier you use and chances are you can still be charged these with USPS. These fees are customs import fees, whether you pay or not seems to be totally random. Yes you most likely will get the bill from the courier but it's customs that initiated the charges, not the courier.

                  I can tell you however that if you ship to the UK using USPS then your customers WILL get charged VAT and the brokerage fees. If you ship via a courier like UPS or FedEx then the chances of being charged brokerage or custom fees in minimal.

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                    On 5/2/10 11:40 PM, Don Bain wrote:

                    > On May 2, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Uri Cogan wrote:
                    > > Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
                    > > visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
                    > > them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?
                    >
                    > I will be glad to do this, but won't be in Canada again until August.
                    > Arrange it with Scott if this is of interest.

                    Thanks, I will take this offer, but you'll have to deliver it personally
                    (we will feed and lodge you!)

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                      On 5/3/10 1:12 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                      > > As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
                      > > will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
                      > > receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.
                      > >

                      > The brokerage fees have nothing to do with the courier you use and
                      > chances are you can still be charged these with USPS. These fees are
                      > customs import fees, whether you pay or not seems to be totally
                      > random. Yes you most likely will get the bill from the courier but
                      > it's customs that initiated the charges, not the courier.

                      Well, in my experience these fees are courier-specific, and charged by
                      the courier, not by customs. Canada Post had never charged me for
                      anything like "brokerage fees".

                      Canada Post will (not always, and never for books) charge the applicable
                      customs tariffs and provincial or federal sales tax on imported items,
                      but UPS "brokerage fees" are levied on top of everything else - just
                      for taking the thing through customs.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                        What would shipping to California be? Or Montana either will work for me.