Re: Snow on the trail: Contrasts

  • JL
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2010
      By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona

      http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/

      Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.

      JL
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2010
        Master, forgive me.
        But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

        > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
        >
        > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
        >

        > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
        >
        > JL

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2010
          It's a really great sounding idea and theoretically it should work well
          but: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
          practice there is. " Yogi Berra

          Unless the scene is absolutely still for the time needed to take the 7
          bracketed shots, you are going to loose detail from the small movements
          of the foliage and the clouds. Then there's vibration that moves the
          camera slightly. It can work but it's really hard to get it to work.

          That's been my experience when I try that. Others seem to be able to
          do it. Which is frustrating because my camera makes better jpegs than
          I can make from the raw files. So I've been shooting jpeg but then
          I lose the dynamic range of the raw file so highlight blowout can
          be a problem.

          Oh well...

          JL wrote:

          > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
          >
          > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
          >

          > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
          >
          > JL

        • prague
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2010
            with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:

            1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.

            2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

            > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
            >
            > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
            >

            > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
            >
            > JL

          • JL
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2010
              >Master, forgive me.
              > But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

              Jurgen
              All is forgiven and possibly explained by the fact that my 7 evs were only half an ev apart, I now discover, so I'll take another look.

              Must do better, to do justice to those amazing landscapes!

              JL
            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                Wow - I love that image! I wonder how many places in the world you encounter "mule alert" signs? And how many people would be foolish enough to block the way of a mule on a narrow trail?

                I wish I could have made it to Tucson 8-P

                John

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                (h)864-461-3504
                (c)864-431-7075
                (w)864-503-5775

                On May 1, 2010, at 8:55 AM, john wrote:

                > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
                >
                > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
                > JL

              • 1drey
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                  Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                  Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if I shoot jpg.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                  > with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:
                  >
                  > 1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.
                  >
                  > 2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                  > >
                  > > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                  > >

                  > > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                  > >
                  > > JL

                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                    Sometime around 3/5/10 (at 13:27 +0000) 1drey said:

                    >Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors

                    Yes, but that's working with 8-bit post-processed colour pixels, not
                    with the original sensor data. In that respect it isn't the ideal
                    workflow if you're particularly concerned about quality control.
                    Although it does offer some advantages.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                      Am 03.05.2010 15:27, schrieb 1drey:
                      > Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW
                      > processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                      Yes, if CA is correctable. Unfortunately not all CA is correctable after
                      bayer interpolation: http://wiki.panotools.org/CA#Strange_Example
                      ;-)

                      > Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if
                      > I shoot jpg.

                      How does the camera know about the lens? Did you enter correction data
                      or is there a database somewhere? Or does the camera determine CA?

                    • onezebra1
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2010

                        > Very .. errr ... cool!
                        > Great image, John.
                        >
                        > Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
                        > http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/
                        >
                        > Jürgen

                        Hi Jürgen,
                        I love your pano showing the Grand Canyon, very fine detail and makes me want to go there to see even more.

                        I would like to ask, what setup did you use for shooting that pano?

                        Thanks,
                        Roger Berry