Photoshop cs5

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2010
      I just got Photshop CS5.
      After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots to fill
      the tripod area.
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        Carpets, sandy beach, gravel... that kind of nadir shots can be patched
        problem free with the content aware fill, but if it becomes any more
        complex, there will be much more work involved. Still it is a big step up
        the evolutionary ladder. WHEN it works well (one out of 10 or so times), it
        is impressive.

        On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

        > I just got Photshop CS5.
        > After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots
        > to fill
        > the tripod area.

      • Richard
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
          The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

          > Carpets, sandy beach, gravel... that kind of nadir shots can be patched
          > problem free with the content aware fill, but if it becomes any more
          > complex, there will be much more work involved. Still it is a big step up
          > the evolutionary ladder. WHEN it works well (one out of 10 or so times), it
          > is impressive.
          >
          > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I just got Photshop CS5.
          > > After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots
          > > to fill
          > > the tripod area.

        • Robert Slade
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            Richard wrote:

            > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
            > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

            Can you show us the results please? A before/after JPG would be useful
            to show how good the tool is at nadir patching.

            Regards,
            Rob

            --
            Robert Slade, Photographer
            Manor Photography 07890 564889
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2010
              I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
              rather messy result. The lines between the tiles did not match at all. I
              have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
              aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
              feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

              Here before/after images:

              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

              ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
              to cut the logo out.

              Trausti

              On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

              > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
              > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

            • Greg Nuspel
              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.
                I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
                rather messy result. The lines between the tiles did not match at all. I
                have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
                aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
                feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

                Here before/after images:

                http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
                http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

                ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
                to cut the logo out.

                Trausti

                On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
                > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

              • Woody Howard
                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                  Greg,

                  Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.

                  It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
                  starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and then
                  executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
                  jumbled second image.

                  Not very encouraging.

                  Woody

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                    Oops I miss read the post, I was hoping the reverse was true.

                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                      That's correct Woody.

                      With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
                      be "la-la-ok":

                      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
                      http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

                      The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
                      and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
                      improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
                      trick... if there is a trick available.

                      Trausti

                      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:

                      > Greg,
                      >
                      > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
                      >
                      > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
                      > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
                      > then
                      > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
                      > jumbled second image.
                      >
                      > Not very encouraging.
                      >
                      > Woody

                    • Richard
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                        The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

                        > That's correct Woody.
                        >
                        > With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
                        > be "la-la-ok":
                        >
                        > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
                        > http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
                        >
                        > The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
                        > and it becomes clear that it's not all that great. I'm sure that one can
                        > improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
                        > trick... if there is a trick available.
                        >
                        > Trausti
                        >

                        > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Greg,
                        > >
                        > > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
                        > >
                        > > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
                        > > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
                        > > then
                        > > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
                        > > jumbled second image.
                        > >
                        > > Not very encouraging.
                        > >
                        > > Woody

                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                          Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                          the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                          from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                          that... but it still has space to be improved.

                          Trausti

                          On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:

                          > The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
                          > and hardness to

                        • Wim Koornneef
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                            If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                            brushes.
                            If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are
                            there any examples ?

                            Wim
                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
                              http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

                              Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

                              On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                              > If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
                              > brushes.
                              > If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
                              > are
                              > there any examples ?
                              >
                              > Wim

                            • Bjørn K Nilssen
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 2, 2010
                                On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                                > Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3. It's just that
                                > the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
                                > from watching the pre-release videos. It has it's place, no doubt about
                                > that... but it still has space to be improved.

                                I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
                                It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
                                Stamp.

                              • Wim Koornneef
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                                  Hello Trausti,

                                  Thanks for the images.
                                  A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the
                                  original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the
                                  comparison:

                                  http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                                  Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing
                                  brush with content aware tool ?

                                  I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows
                                  of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual
                                  left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to
                                  3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are
                                  causing a bad 3D experience.

                                  Wim

                                • Wim Koornneef
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                                    Hello Trausti,

                                    Thanks for the examples.
                                    I made a comparison to make a judgement possible:

                                    http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

                                    Obviously in A and B (and in other places as well) the details are gone in
                                    the edited image so I wonder, is this the best that can be expected from the
                                    content aware healing brush ?

                                    Wim

                                  • Wim Koornneef
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                                      Oops...
                                      I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I
                                      was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
                                      Wim
                                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                                        I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
                                        content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect. The best
                                        result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole. It managed to blend
                                        the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
                                        close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
                                        out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
                                        not result in a fix. The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
                                        Tool.

                                        I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
                                        feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
                                        it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

                                        If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
                                        based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
                                        tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

                                        Trausti