Re: Action spherical stereo panoramas with video DSLRs

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 81 , May 1, 2010
      how many shots? ... resolving parallax issues with interpolation ..

      How many shots are enough for single or twin camera stereo panorama subjects? Well it depends on the scene depth ranges, camera separations and output resolutions. Well suppose you are using twin DSLRs and you have them as close as you can get them (in vertical configuration). Outdoors you can get by with a minimum of 45-50 shots per camera if the nearest subject is no closer than say 170 cm. Indoors in a small kitchen say you need at least 90 shots per camera I think for easy accurate calibration and smooth stitching and high resolution output

      If youve only got 45 shots in that small kitchen then you will need to interpolate the additional frames to get passable stitching. You need smart interpolation not simple frame blending to generate the intermediate frames ie. software that analyzes where the pixels are going from frame to frame. Many video packages have such pixel tracking smart retiming filters but the interpolation task for rapidly rotating sparse image sequences such as are gnerated by stereo continuous sequence pano capture is quite drastic. There will be image tearing, false lines etc.

      There is a filter for Avisynth -- Depan (and Depan Estimator) which is targeted specifically at stabilizing and slowing down (interpolating) panning sequences -- which I will have to work out how to use --- as it gets very good reviews
      http://avisynth.org.ru/depan/depan.html

      Peter M

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

      > Hello Peter,
      > panovrx-2 wrote:
      > > .....I think one camera, the Continuous one effectively acts as a master
      > > for the rest.....
      >
      > This I have to try out, if it works then it can solve a major sync issue I
      > have with my 5D+450D combo.
      > The continuous speed of the 5D is approx. 3 shots/images while the 450D
      > shoots 3.5 images/sec so I can't use the cameras in the continuous speed
      > mode while the drive is continuous spinning for action panos.
      >
      > To be continued..
      >
      > Wim

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 81 of 81 , May 4, 2010
        Wim Koornneef wrote:
        > ....When I thought about the issue this formula to calculate the number of
        > images that are needed popped up (*):
        >
        > A-reference number of images for a shoot in NPP=4
        > B-reference forward shift out of NPP (cm)=1
        > C-reference number of pixels of stitched pano (mpx)=20
        >
        > Number of images needed: A x (B + forward shift out of NPP) x C / size of
        > stitched pano
        >
        > (*) I made the formula based on some educated guesses about the relations
        > between the parameters so for sure it is not based on any real science...
        >
        > I my case I should have shot at least: 4x(8+1)x26/20= ~ 47 images instead
        > of 31.
        > For a larger output f.e. 10.000x5000 px (50mpx) I would need 90 images to
        > get a good result......

        The math above about the number of images needed when using a one camera 3D
        system is ok but I made a typo in the formula, it should be:

        Number of images needed: A x (B + forward shift out of NPP) x size of
        stitched pano / C

        Wim