Re: Mt. Whitney at sunrise

  • guillaume_fulchiron
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2010
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

      > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
      > > >
      > > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
      > > >
      > No one commented on my images. Did you look at them? The spherical was
      > shot with a D200 and a Sigma 15 mm. The zoomify was shot a few moments
      > later with the same D200 and a Nikon 80-300 mm zoom at 300 mm.
      >
      > Paul

      Hi Paul,

      You have captured a very beautiful morning light scennery, thanks for sharing :-)

      Can you explain what kind of footprints we can see in the snow going off road towards the sun ?
      Human or animal ?

      Thank you.

      G.
    • panostar
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2010
        > ... zenith and nadir? Looks as if you edited it in equirectangular
        > directly...

        I think you're right, Erik. There's clear evidence of the nadir hole being cloned out directly on the equirectangular image. The cloning is best done on an extracted recilinear view of the nadir area, eg. using the Photoshop plugins by Rune Spaans at

        http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

        or the patch option in Pano2VR, or by extracting cubic tiles with Pano2QTVR. See also the PanoTools wiki at

        http://wiki.panotools.org/Tutorials#Zenith_and_Nadir_retouching

        John
      • Paul Fretheim
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2010
          > Hi Paul,
          >
          > You have captured a very beautiful morning light scennery, thanks for sharing :-)
          >
          > Can you explain what kind of footprints we can see in the snow going off road towards the sun ?
          > Human or animal ?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > G.
          Those are either coyote tracks (I think they are) or, possibly
          jackrabbit tracks.
        • Paul Fretheim
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2010
            I guess I am of the opinion that nobody cares about the nadir or zenith.
            I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
            The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
            because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
            probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
            that transmits the moment pretty well.
          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2010
              Paul, I just noticed that I had two earlier messages in this thread from you that my ISP's filter had identified as containing a virus. Maybe no one commented because they were filtered?

              John

              John Riley
              johnriley@...
              (h)864-461-3504
              (c)864-431-7075
              (w)864-503-5775

              On May 1, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

              > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
              > > >
              > > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
              > > >
              > No one commented on my images. Did you look at them? The spherical was
              > shot with a D200 and a Sigma 15 mm. The zoomify was shot a few moments
              > later with the same D200 and a Nikon 80-300 mm zoom at 300 mm.
              >
              > Paul

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                I don't think you can have attachments on this list John.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                  Attachment or not, my ISP thinking it had a virus prevented it from being delivered to me. This explained, at least to me, my reaction of "Comment on what image?": I never saw the message! Maybe I wasn't the only one.

                  John

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  (h)864-461-3504
                  (c)864-431-7075
                  (w)864-503-5775

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                    Am 02.05.2010 17:45, schrieb Paul Fretheim:
                    > I guess I am of the opinion that nobody cares about the nadir or zenith.

                    Well, then there's no point to publish as full spherical. You could
                    limit the FoV, which would be way better...

                    > I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
                    > The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
                    > because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
                    > probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
                    > that transmits the moment pretty well.

                    That's absolutely right. However, the impression of the moment can be
                    spoiled by a (completely un-artistic) vertical line in the view.
                    Normally the blender takes care of this. What software did you use?

                  • Paul Fretheim
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                      > I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
                      >> The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
                      >> because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
                      >> probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
                      >> that transmits the moment pretty well.
                      >
                      > That's absolutely right. However, the impression of the moment can be
                      > spoiled by a (completely un-artistic) vertical line in the view.
                      > Normally the blender takes care of this. What software did you use?

                      Lightroom, Photoshop, PTGui, Pano2VR

                      Paul
                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3, 2010

                        > Paul, I just noticed that I had two earlier messages in this thread
                        from you
                        > that my ISP's filter had identified as containing a virus. Maybe no one
                        > commented because they were filtered?

                        I was using COMODO public domain virus protection software. It
                        interfered with my copy of Adobe InDesign, I removed COMODO and ran
                        without virus protection for a few hours before I got avast installed.
                        I guess I better do a scan.

                        Thanks.

                        Paul