Re: VR Photography book now shipping!

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1 11:28 AM
      Mr. Highton,

      I have received your book and it is splendid in every way. Absolutely amazing!

      Thank you for writing it, and thanks for having it designed so well. Too many publishers overlook the necessity for great graphic design and well-handled, serif typefaces.

      You did an outstanding job all around.

      My sincere congratulations!

      -- Peter A. Schaible

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton <scott@...> wrote:

      > VR friends,
      >
      > It is with great pleasure that I announce that my Virtual Reality
      > Photography book is now shipping. All pre-orders were delivered to
      > the U.S. Postal Service last week, and we are taking new orders for
      > immediate shipment. Many members of this list should already be
      > receiving their copies.
      >
      > Virtual Reality Photography is a complete resource book on the
      > creation of panoramic and object images. It is a large book – 320
      > pages long with more than 300 illustrations, including 24 chapters in
      > four sections on: 1) photography basics, 2) panoramic imaging, 3)
      > object imaging, and 4) business practices – including pricing
      > information and case studies. The book was very warmly received and
      > sold quite briskly during its debut at the Tucson 2010 International
      > Panoramic Photography Conference earlier this month.
      >
      > For an online preview of the book, and to order your copy, go to:
      > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
      >
      > Thank you to all in the VR photography community who supported and
      > helped make this project possible.
      >
      > Regards,
      >

      > Scott Highton
      > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
      > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com
      >

      > Virtual Reality Photography
      > ISBN: 978-0-615-34223-8
      > $44.95 (US)
      > 8.5"x11", full color
      > 320 pages with over 300 illustrations

    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2 5:54 AM
        Scott,

        Any chance for alternative shipping? Nearly $30.00 shipping is way too much for me and then they'll tack on a $30.00 brokerage fee to charge me the $3.00 GST. I prefer USPS since they don't rape you for shipping or customs charges.

        Greg

      • Fernando Chaves
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2 7:56 AM
          Quoting Greg Nuspel <Greg.Nuspel@...>:

          > Scott,
          >
          > Any chance for alternative shipping? Nearly $30.00 shipping is way
          > too much for me and then they'll tack on a $30.00 brokerage fee to
          > charge me the $3.00 GST.

          I prefer USPS since they don't rape you for
          shipping or customs charges.

          > Greg

          Hi,
          Is the same here in Montreal. Shipping will cost more than book. USPS
          is the way to go for books from US.
          Fernando
        • Greg Nuspel
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2 8:32 AM
            Maybe we could get a group buy of the book for Canadians to one address and then send them out to each person wanting a copy. Should be way less expensive than the present method. I just don't like seeing a shipper make more money than the author.

            > Any chance for alternative shipping? Nearly $30.00 shipping is way
            > too much for me and then they'll tack on a $30.00 brokerage fee to
            > charge me the $3.00 GST.

            I prefer USPS since they don't rape you for
            shipping or customs charges.

            > Greg

            Hi,
            Is the same here in Montreal. Shipping will cost more than book. USPS
            is the way to go for books from US.
            Fernando

          • Scott Highton
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2 3:11 PM
              Peter,

              Thank you for your kind words. Credit and thanks are due to many in
              the VR photography community who helped out.

              ------------------------

              Message 6 of 16 , May 2 3:50 PM
                Hi all,

                I very much appreciate your concerns about the costs of international
                shipping for my Virtual Reality Photography book. As posted here
                previously, we have looked into every possibility we can for reducing
                these costs, but this is as low as we can get it right now. The book
                is fairly big -- it weighs just about three pounds, and these are the
                costs we have to pay to ship it internationally via U.S. Postal
                Service (the cheapest method we could find, so far).

                For reference, if we used UPS or Fed Ex, the shipping charges alone
                would be about $110.00 USD (as compared to the $28.95 we can charge
                for first class mail via USPS). Somehow, I doubt very much that
                international clients will want to pay $115.00 for shipping and
                handling on a $44.95 book, even though you might avoid customs fees.)

                We have also looked into batch shipping (i.e. sending multiple copies
                to a single address in a given country for distribution from there)
                but the costs get even higher (due to the additional shipping an
                handling in country). Shipping out of the United States is charged
                primarily by weight, so a box of 10 books costs very close to 10 times
                as much as shipping for a single book alone.)

                We remain open to all possibilities and suggestions on this. We have
                also explored Amazon and Barnes & Noble as distributors, but found
                that their contract terms would result in a financial loss for us on
                every book they sold (which we cannot afford). Their contracts are
                designed more for the high volume publisher, who has much lower
                production costs per book than ours.

                For those of you in Canada, the best options I can suggest are to
                perhaps ship the book to a friend or associate in the U.S., and to
                then pick it up on your next visit. Shipping costs would be
                significantly lower, and any customs declarations and fees would be
                handled in your own border crossing.

                Thanks for your interest, and again, please let us know if you have
                any insights into cheaper alternatives for international shipping. If
                we can find another viable (and legal) means to help reduce these
                costs, we will gladly pass the savings on.

                Best,

                Scott Highton
                Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                > For an online preview of the Virtual Reality Photography book, or
                to order your copy, go to:
                > http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html
                >
                > Virtual Reality Photography
                > ISBN: 978-0-615-34223-8
                > $44.95 (US)
                > 8.5"x11", full color
                > 320 pages with over 300 illustrations

              • Matthew Rogers
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2 4:20 PM
                  Doesn't seem like you've tried too hard to negotiate decent rates. We
                  can ship a 5lb box next day from the uk to anywhere in the US for $50.
                  Shipping 50lb shouldn't cost 10x as much. FedEx charge us $125 for
                  50lbs, only 2.5x as much. These are also UK rates, shipping from the
                  US back to the UK is almost 40% cheaper.

                  You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
                  some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
                  each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
                  example they will up your discount tier.

                  Matt

                • Uri Cogan
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2 4:52 PM
                    On 5/2/10 4:20 PM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                    > You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
                    > some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
                    > each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
                    > example they will up your discount tier.

                    As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
                    will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
                    receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.

                    Gerg Nuspel recommended group buying for Canadians but the extra mailing
                    from Montreal to Vancouver will probably cost too much as well.

                    Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
                    visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
                    them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?

                    --

                    Uri Cogan
                    http://www.uricogan.com

                    * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                  • Don Bain
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2 11:40 PM
                      On May 2, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Uri Cogan wrote:
                      > Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
                      > visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
                      > them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?

                      I will be glad to do this, but won't be in Canada again until August. Arrange it with Scott if this is of interest.

                      Don
                    • Matthew Rogers
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3 1:12 AM

                        > > You just need to speak to a regional account manager and negotiate
                        > > some decent rates. Make sure you play the various couriers against
                        > > each other. If FedEx thinks you're serious about going with ups for
                        > > example they will up your discount tier.
                        > >

                        > As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
                        > will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
                        > receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.

                        The brokerage fees have nothing to do with the courier you use and chances are you can still be charged these with USPS. These fees are customs import fees, whether you pay or not seems to be totally random. Yes you most likely will get the bill from the courier but it's customs that initiated the charges, not the courier.

                        I can tell you however that if you ship to the UK using USPS then your customers WILL get charged VAT and the brokerage fees. If you ship via a courier like UPS or FedEx then the chances of being charged brokerage or custom fees in minimal.

                        Matt

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3 10:45 AM
                          On 5/2/10 11:40 PM, Don Bain wrote:

                          > On May 2, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Uri Cogan wrote:
                          > > Seems to me the option for Canadians will be to have some Canadian
                          > > visitor to California deliver several copies back home by car & mail
                          > > them via Canada Post to other Canadians from there. Any volunteers?
                          >
                          > I will be glad to do this, but won't be in Canada again until August.
                          > Arrange it with Scott if this is of interest.

                          Thanks, I will take this offer, but you'll have to deliver it personally
                          (we will feed and lodge you!)

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3 10:59 AM
                            On 5/3/10 1:12 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                            > > As Fernando Chaves wrote earlier, some Courier companies (in Canada)
                            > > will happily tack on some extra $30-$40 "brokerage fees" at the
                            > > receiving end in addition to the $30 cost of shipping.
                            > >

                            > The brokerage fees have nothing to do with the courier you use and
                            > chances are you can still be charged these with USPS. These fees are
                            > customs import fees, whether you pay or not seems to be totally
                            > random. Yes you most likely will get the bill from the courier but
                            > it's customs that initiated the charges, not the courier.

                            Well, in my experience these fees are courier-specific, and charged by
                            the courier, not by customs. Canada Post had never charged me for
                            anything like "brokerage fees".

                            Canada Post will (not always, and never for books) charge the applicable
                            customs tariffs and provincial or federal sales tax on imported items,
                            but UPS "brokerage fees" are levied on top of everything else - just
                            for taking the thing through customs.

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3 11:11 AM
                              What would shipping to California be? Or Montana either will work for me.