Re: Mt. Whitney at sunrise

  • Woody Howard
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2010
      Paul,

      The location and time of day area awesome.

      You, I and many others are trying to learn from the experience that is
      available in this group. The only way to do that is to "publish" our work
      and accept the critiquing of those that have more experience.

      Lord knows I'm just a newbie to all of this but I'd suggest running the
      images through PTGui to get a better blend of the images and loose the seam.
      For the nadir you need to lose the "pucker", even if you don't have a nadir
      shot. I would cap it, fix it or limit the view.

      Woody

    • Paul Fretheim
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2010
        Sorry I forgot to list the number of shots with each lens.

        The winter scene spherical was shot with a D200 with a Sigma 15 and I
        shot 3 rows of 12 shots for roughly 38 images in all.

        http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html

        I shot 31 image with the 300 mm and covered a bit more area that is
        displayed in the image used.

        http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm

        Here is a link to an image pulled out of Jurgen's spherical with an
        arrow indicating which peak is Mt. Whitney.

        http://inyopro.com/images/mt_whitney.jpg

        There is a sign which says "Road Closed." But you can drive around it
        and go as far as you can and nobody will say anything. They just put
        that sign up so you can't sue them for not clearing the road if you get
        in trouble. I live in Independence and that is where the next paved
        road leads up into the Sierra. It has been plowed to the top at 9,200
        feet, but the sign still says "Road Closed" at about 6,500 feet. I
        drove my Mercedes station wagon up there to the top last week.

        Paul Fretheim
      • Ron Rack
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2010
          Paul,
          Yes, very spectacular scenery there, I will be visiting Sequoia NP in
          about 3 weeks, hope to get one or two nifty panos there, unfortunately
          I will only be there less than 2 days :-(
          Your panos could be improved by cleaning up zenith and nadir which
          show strange artifacts and there is a very obvious seam in the pano,
          good luck and keep showing us the spectacular views.

          ron rack
          http://360around .com

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2010
            Am 01.05.2010 16:16, schrieb Paul Fretheim:

            http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html

            Incredible view. Very nice scenery and atmosphere. But what did you to
            zenith and nadir? Looks as if you edited it in equirectangular directly...

            http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm

            This too is incredible. There must be very nice and difficult climbs in
            those walls..

          • guillaume_fulchiron
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

              > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
              > > >
              > > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
              > > >
              > No one commented on my images. Did you look at them? The spherical was
              > shot with a D200 and a Sigma 15 mm. The zoomify was shot a few moments
              > later with the same D200 and a Nikon 80-300 mm zoom at 300 mm.
              >
              > Paul

              Hi Paul,

              You have captured a very beautiful morning light scennery, thanks for sharing :-)

              Can you explain what kind of footprints we can see in the snow going off road towards the sun ?
              Human or animal ?

              Thank you.

              G.
            • panostar
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                > ... zenith and nadir? Looks as if you edited it in equirectangular
                > directly...

                I think you're right, Erik. There's clear evidence of the nadir hole being cloned out directly on the equirectangular image. The cloning is best done on an extracted recilinear view of the nadir area, eg. using the Photoshop plugins by Rune Spaans at

                http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

                or the patch option in Pano2VR, or by extracting cubic tiles with Pano2QTVR. See also the PanoTools wiki at

                http://wiki.panotools.org/Tutorials#Zenith_and_Nadir_retouching

                John
              • Paul Fretheim
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                  > Hi Paul,
                  >
                  > You have captured a very beautiful morning light scennery, thanks for sharing :-)
                  >
                  > Can you explain what kind of footprints we can see in the snow going off road towards the sun ?
                  > Human or animal ?
                  >
                  > Thank you.
                  >
                  > G.
                  Those are either coyote tracks (I think they are) or, possibly
                  jackrabbit tracks.
                • Paul Fretheim
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2010
                    I guess I am of the opinion that nobody cares about the nadir or zenith.
                    I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
                    The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
                    because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
                    probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
                    that transmits the moment pretty well.
                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                      Paul, I just noticed that I had two earlier messages in this thread from you that my ISP's filter had identified as containing a virus. Maybe no one commented because they were filtered?

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      (h)864-461-3504
                      (c)864-431-7075
                      (w)864-503-5775

                      On May 1, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                      > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
                      > > >
                      > > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
                      > > >
                      > No one commented on my images. Did you look at them? The spherical was
                      > shot with a D200 and a Sigma 15 mm. The zoomify was shot a few moments
                      > later with the same D200 and a Nikon 80-300 mm zoom at 300 mm.
                      >
                      > Paul

                    • Sacha Griffin
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                        I don't think you can have attachments on this list John.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                          Attachment or not, my ISP thinking it had a virus prevented it from being delivered to me. This explained, at least to me, my reaction of "Comment on what image?": I never saw the message! Maybe I wasn't the only one.

                          John

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...
                          (h)864-461-3504
                          (c)864-431-7075
                          (w)864-503-5775

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                            Am 02.05.2010 17:45, schrieb Paul Fretheim:
                            > I guess I am of the opinion that nobody cares about the nadir or zenith.

                            Well, then there's no point to publish as full spherical. You could
                            limit the FoV, which would be way better...

                            > I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
                            > The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
                            > because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
                            > probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
                            > that transmits the moment pretty well.

                            That's absolutely right. However, the impression of the moment can be
                            spoiled by a (completely un-artistic) vertical line in the view.
                            Normally the blender takes care of this. What software did you use?

                          • Paul Fretheim
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                              > I didn't do anything about them whatsoever. They are what they are.
                              >> The problem with the stitching between the 4Runner and the Sun is
                              >> because the light changed over the time it took to go around. I
                              >> probably should fix that, but, overall I thing it is an artistic piece
                              >> that transmits the moment pretty well.
                              >
                              > That's absolutely right. However, the impression of the moment can be
                              > spoiled by a (completely un-artistic) vertical line in the view.
                              > Normally the blender takes care of this. What software did you use?

                              Lightroom, Photoshop, PTGui, Pano2VR

                              Paul
                            • Paul Fretheim
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 3, 2010

                                > Paul, I just noticed that I had two earlier messages in this thread
                                from you
                                > that my ISP's filter had identified as containing a virus. Maybe no one
                                > commented because they were filtered?

                                I was using COMODO public domain virus protection software. It
                                interfered with my copy of Adobe InDesign, I removed COMODO and ran
                                without virus protection for a few hours before I got avast installed.
                                I guess I better do a scan.

                                Thanks.

                                Paul