Re: Snow on the trail:

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2010
      Very .. errr ... cool!
      Great image, John.

      Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
      http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/

      Jürgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mondrian@...> wrote:

      > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
      >
      > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
      > JL

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2010
        John
        oh my God
        THANKS

        I could remember when I was there in the 80's :-)

        and allowed me to show to my sons, today, what was like the history I was
        telling them about this trail that I went once in my life

        Thanks a lot for bring me back some good memories

        best wishes
        AYRTON

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM, john <mondrian@...> wrote:

        > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
        >
        > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim
        > of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a
        > little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
        > JL

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
      • JL
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2010
          By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona

          http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/

          Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.

          JL
        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2010
            Master, forgive me.
            But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

            > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
            >
            > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
            >

            > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
            >
            > JL

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2010
              It's a really great sounding idea and theoretically it should work well
              but: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
              practice there is. " Yogi Berra

              Unless the scene is absolutely still for the time needed to take the 7
              bracketed shots, you are going to loose detail from the small movements
              of the foliage and the clouds. Then there's vibration that moves the
              camera slightly. It can work but it's really hard to get it to work.

              That's been my experience when I try that. Others seem to be able to
              do it. Which is frustrating because my camera makes better jpegs than
              I can make from the raw files. So I've been shooting jpeg but then
              I lose the dynamic range of the raw file so highlight blowout can
              be a problem.

              Oh well...

              JL wrote:

              > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
              >
              > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
              >

              > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
              >
              > JL

            • prague
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2010
                with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:

                1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.

                2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

                > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                >
                > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                >

                > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                >
                > JL

              • JL
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2010
                  >Master, forgive me.
                  > But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

                  Jurgen
                  All is forgiven and possibly explained by the fact that my 7 evs were only half an ev apart, I now discover, so I'll take another look.

                  Must do better, to do justice to those amazing landscapes!

                  JL
                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                    Wow - I love that image! I wonder how many places in the world you encounter "mule alert" signs? And how many people would be foolish enough to block the way of a mule on a narrow trail?

                    I wish I could have made it to Tucson 8-P

                    John

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    (h)864-461-3504
                    (c)864-431-7075
                    (w)864-503-5775

                    On May 1, 2010, at 8:55 AM, john wrote:

                    > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
                    >
                    > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
                    > JL

                  • 1drey
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                      Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                      Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if I shoot jpg.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                      > with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:
                      >
                      > 1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.
                      >
                      > 2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                      > >
                      > > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                      > >

                      > > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                      > >
                      > > JL

                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                        Sometime around 3/5/10 (at 13:27 +0000) 1drey said:

                        >Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors

                        Yes, but that's working with 8-bit post-processed colour pixels, not
                        with the original sensor data. In that respect it isn't the ideal
                        workflow if you're particularly concerned about quality control.
                        Although it does offer some advantages.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                          Am 03.05.2010 15:27, schrieb 1drey:
                          > Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW
                          > processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                          Yes, if CA is correctable. Unfortunately not all CA is correctable after
                          bayer interpolation: http://wiki.panotools.org/CA#Strange_Example
                          ;-)

                          > Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if
                          > I shoot jpg.

                          How does the camera know about the lens? Did you enter correction data
                          or is there a database somewhere? Or does the camera determine CA?

                        • onezebra1
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 7, 2010

                            > Very .. errr ... cool!
                            > Great image, John.
                            >
                            > Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
                            > http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/
                            >
                            > Jürgen

                            Hi Jürgen,
                            I love your pano showing the Grand Canyon, very fine detail and makes me want to go there to see even more.

                            I would like to ask, what setup did you use for shooting that pano?

                            Thanks,
                            Roger Berry