Snow on the trail:

  • john
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1 5:55 AM
      http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/

      After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
      JL
    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1 6:01 AM
        Love that shot, get a real feel for the abyss with the snow.

        Greg

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1 6:12 AM
          Very .. errr ... cool!
          Great image, John.

          Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
          http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/

          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mondrian@...> wrote:

          > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
          >
          > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
          > JL

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1 9:03 AM
            John
            oh my God
            THANKS

            I could remember when I was there in the 80's :-)

            and allowed me to show to my sons, today, what was like the history I was
            telling them about this trail that I went once in my life

            Thanks a lot for bring me back some good memories

            best wishes
            AYRTON

            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM, john <mondrian@...> wrote:

            > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
            >
            > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim
            > of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a
            > little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
            > JL

            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
          • JL
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2 7:36 AM
              By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona

              http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/

              Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.

              JL
            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2 7:45 AM
                Master, forgive me.
                But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

                Jürgen

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

                > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                >
                > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                >

                > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                >
                > JL

              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2 7:58 AM
                  It's a really great sounding idea and theoretically it should work well
                  but: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In
                  practice there is. " Yogi Berra

                  Unless the scene is absolutely still for the time needed to take the 7
                  bracketed shots, you are going to loose detail from the small movements
                  of the foliage and the clouds. Then there's vibration that moves the
                  camera slightly. It can work but it's really hard to get it to work.

                  That's been my experience when I try that. Others seem to be able to
                  do it. Which is frustrating because my camera makes better jpegs than
                  I can make from the raw files. So I've been shooting jpeg but then
                  I lose the dynamic range of the raw file so highlight blowout can
                  be a problem.

                  Oh well...

                  JL wrote:

                  > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                  >
                  > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                  >

                  > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                  >
                  > JL

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2 1:17 PM
                    with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:

                    1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.

                    2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@...> wrote:

                    > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                    >
                    > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                    >

                    > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                    >
                    > JL

                  • JL
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2 2:58 PM
                      >Master, forgive me.
                      > But with 7 exposures there should definitely be more detail in the clouds near the sun.

                      Jurgen
                      All is forgiven and possibly explained by the fact that my 7 evs were only half an ev apart, I now discover, so I'll take another look.

                      Must do better, to do justice to those amazing landscapes!

                      JL
                    • John Riley
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3 5:31 AM
                        Wow - I love that image! I wonder how many places in the world you encounter "mule alert" signs? And how many people would be foolish enough to block the way of a mule on a narrow trail?

                        I wish I could have made it to Tucson 8-P

                        John

                        John Riley
                        johnriley@...
                        (h)864-461-3504
                        (c)864-431-7075
                        (w)864-503-5775

                        On May 1, 2010, at 8:55 AM, john wrote:

                        > http://www.john-law.org.uk/az/sk/
                        >
                        > After the Tucson conference we left the desert and drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. A blizzard of snow greeted us. This pano is from a little way down the South Kaibab trail. Empathise and enjoy!
                        > JL

                      • 1drey
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3 6:27 AM
                          Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                          Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if I shoot jpg.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                          > with 2 caveats that Blochi didn't mention:
                          >
                          > 1. that you can't "properly" correct CA (chromatic aberration) on jpegs.
                          >
                          > 2. and you can't properly correct white balance on jpegs.
                          >

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JL" <mondrian@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > By way of contrast- The Devils Bridge nr Sedona
                          > >
                          > > http://john-law.org.uk/az/db/
                          > >

                          > > Here is a first test of some interesting advice given by Christian Bloch during his Tucson talk; that a wide range of bracketed jpgs could give as good results as bracketed raw files but without the buffer choking due to the large raw file size (approx 50MB in my case). 6 shots round + zenith 7 brackets each. Seven bracketed jpg-fine files take a little more space than a single raw file! More controlled tests to follow.
                          > >
                          > > JL

                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3 7:06 AM
                            Sometime around 3/5/10 (at 13:27 +0000) 1drey said:

                            >Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW processors

                            Yes, but that's working with 8-bit post-processed colour pixels, not
                            with the original sensor data. In that respect it isn't the ideal
                            workflow if you're particularly concerned about quality control.
                            Although it does offer some advantages.

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3 12:18 PM
                              Am 03.05.2010 15:27, schrieb 1drey:
                              > Both CA and WB on jpeg images can be easily corrected in modern RAW
                              > processors - at least the ones I use (Slkypix and ARC).

                              Yes, if CA is correctable. Unfortunately not all CA is correctable after
                              bayer interpolation: http://wiki.panotools.org/CA#Strange_Example
                              ;-)

                              > Nikon D300 corrects CA for Samyang images without my intervention if
                              > I shoot jpg.

                              How does the camera know about the lens? Did you enter correction data
                              or is there a database somewhere? Or does the camera determine CA?

                            • onezebra1
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 7 4:26 PM

                                > Very .. errr ... cool!
                                > Great image, John.
                                >
                                > Here is one from Kaibab trail further down under better circumstances ;)
                                > http://schrader-air.de/panorama/grandcanyon/
                                >
                                > Jürgen

                                Hi Jürgen,
                                I love your pano showing the Grand Canyon, very fine detail and makes me want to go there to see even more.

                                I would like to ask, what setup did you use for shooting that pano?

                                Thanks,
                                Roger Berry