Re:Mt. Whitney at sunrise - Tucson Mission #3

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
      Darn, I should have known that!

      But I had sooo many things to check for that travel that I didn't even think of the list of IVRPA members. Also Mt. Whitney wasn't on my first plan, I just dropped there due to bad weather conditions for my shoot at Lake Isabella.

      This whole area is so outstanding I could easily spend a year there.

      I'm looking forward to hear from your DVD product.

      Cheers
      Jürgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

      > Jürgen you should have stopped by. You were just 15 miles from my home
      > in Independence. Here are a couple of shots of Mt. Whitney I took in
      > early spring this year.
      >
      > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
      >
      > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
      >
      > I am about to release a series of products on DVD featuring VR panos of
      > the southern Sierra Nevada. I have been working on this project for
      > seven years so it is pretty exciting to be ready to roll it out. I fly
      > to Minneapolis in a few days to proof the packaging materials as they
      > roll off the presses.
      >
      > If any of you IVRPA members are in the Owens Valley, be sure to give me
      > a call. My guest room is usually empty and you would be welcome to
      > crash here.
      >
      > Paul Fretheim

    • Ron Rack
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
        Nice shot J�rgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the
        interstate and found that.

        ron rack

        On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

        > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15
        > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical
        >
        > http://bavaria360.de/tucson2010/mtwhitney.html
        >
        > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next
        > time ...
        >
        > Have fun
        > J�rgen

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
          Well, I confess that there was some luck involved ;)

          What really happened is that I thought from viewing Google Earth the day before, that the Portal Road at Mount Whitney could be a good place for a shoot and that there also were campgrounds. But I arrived there when it was dark and had absoultely no idea where I was and what would be waiting for me in the morning.

          In fact it turned out, that I had missed the real campground and had parked more or less in it's driveway.

          The place already didn't look too bad, but in the first light before the sun came out I decided to drive more towards the mountains but was stopped after a mile because the road was closed.

          So I decided to make the best out of it and found this quite nice spot besides the main road. I still have to process the image from the sunrise shoot which might follow the next days, but it wasn't a spherical, though.

          My main concern was timing, because the light dramatically changes within 15 Minutes and, if any, you only have one chance each day.

          So for a place I never had seen before I should be satisfied with the result.

          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

          > Nice shot Jürgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the
          > interstate and found that.
          >
          > ron rack
          >

          > On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:
          >
          > > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15
          > > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical
          > >
          > > http://bavaria360.de/tucson2010/mtwhitney.html
          > >
          > > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next
          > > time ...
          > >
          > > Have fun
          > > Jürgen

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
            Another perfect example of why we should all list ourselves on
            <http://www.panomaps.com/ng/>.

            Mark
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.northernlight.net

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
              Mark,
              how do we do that? can you post a link to where we list ourselves at?

              ron rack

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                Excellent question, especially since looking at the site now, I can't figure
                it out...

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net

                ------------------------------------

                --
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                  http://www.panomaps.com/ng/admin/

                  Deleting/changes are not available. Email me to do so.

                  This was my one first foray into CMS’s.

                  It was interesting to learn how to use Javascript/XML and how to store and
                  retrieve it via MYSQL all from scratch.

                  One day when I’m not fully booked up, I’ll try to make a simple drupal site,
                  that does all this much better.

                  Sacha Griffin

                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                  http://www.seeit360.net

                  http://www.southern-digital.com

                  GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                  404-551-4275

                  , Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                  > > Jürgen you should have stopped by. You were just 15 miles from my
                  > home
                  > > in Independence. Here are a couple of shots of Mt. Whitney I took in
                  > > early spring this year.
                  > >
                  > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
                  > >
                  > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
                  > >
                  > > I am about to release a series of products on DVD featuring VR
                  > panos of
                  > > the southern Sierra Nevada. I have been working on this project for
                  > > seven years so it is pretty exciting to be ready to roll it out. I
                  > fly
                  > > to Minneapolis in a few days to proof the packaging materials as
                  > they
                  > > roll off the presses.
                  > >
                  > > If any of you IVRPA members are in the Owens Valley, be sure to
                  > give me
                  > > a call. My guest room is usually empty and you would be welcome to
                  > > crash here.
                  > >
                  > > Paul Fretheim

                • A Kielcz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                    which lens camera did you use?

                    A Kielcz

                    Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                    Well, I confess that there was some luck involved ;)

                    What really happened is that I thought from viewing Google Earth the day before, that the Portal Road at Mount Whitney could be a good place for a shoot and that there also were campgrounds. But I arrived there when it was dark and had absoultely no idea where I was and what would be waiting for me in the morning.

                    In fact it turned out, that I had missed the real campground and had parked more or less in it's driveway.

                    The place already didn't look too bad, but in the first light before the sun came out I decided to drive more towards the mountains but was stopped after a mile because the road was closed.

                    So I decided to make the best out of it and found this quite nice spot besides the main road. I still have to process the image from the sunrise shoot which might follow the next days, but it wasn't a spherical, though.

                    My main concern was timing, because the light dramatically changes within 15 Minutes and, if any, you only have one chance each day.

                    So for a place I never had seen before I should be satisfied with the result.

                    Jürgen

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Rack <ronrack@... > wrote:

                    > Nice shot Jürgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the

                    > interstate and found that.

                    > ron rack

                    > On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                    > > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15

                    > > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical

                    > > http://bavaria360. de/tucson2010/ mtwhitney. html

                    > > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next

                    > > time ...

                    > > Have fun

                    > > Jürgen

                  • AYRTON
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                      Jürgen

                      I just wanna say : It is GORGEOUS

                      I don't care about your camera
                      BUT
                      your EYES, your VISION
                      That is what is really important !!!
                      Be the magician that knows WHEN is the perfect MOMENT to take the shot !

                      Congratz my freind
                      Those mountains, just rocks :-)

                      Cheers
                      AYRTON

                      On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                      > which lens camera did you use?
                      >
                      > A Kielcz
                      >
                      > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                      | A Y R |
                      | T O N |
                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                        Ayrton, you are too kind, my friend. Thank you.

                        Well, for the technique: it is a 5DMkII with 15mm Canon and 3 exposures.

                        Jürgen