Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: krp on iPad

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 3:07 AM
      On 30 Apr 2010 at 7:43, erik_leeman wrote:

      > Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?
      >
      > If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
      > This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?
      >
      > Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
      > (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)

      It would take 15-30 iPads to build a circle with 50-100cm radius!!
      Not a very cheap solution, and I can't really see that it would provide a very immersive
      experience neither? If the app could pass the needles eye in the first place ie?

      > These are great times!

      Can't say I look forward to more forking of the web...

    • erik_leeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 3:39 AM
        Neither do I Bjørn.

        My idea was: suppose there is an overloaded 2nd hand iPad market in the near future, why not make good use of it?

        But when I wrote "a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall", I didn't mean a full 360 degrees of it, where would you put it?
        Something between 90 and 180 degrees with a nice big radius would be quite enough to be practical.
        But indeed, I forgot about that wide edge.
        Oh well, maybe I'll come up with something else ; )

        Cheers!

        Erik Leeman

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

        > On 30 Apr 2010 at 7:43, erik_leeman wrote:
        >
        > > Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?
        > >
        > > If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
        > > This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?
        > >
        > > Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
        > > (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)
        >
        > It would take 15-30 iPads to build a circle with 50-100cm radius!!
        > Not a very cheap solution, and I can't really see that it would provide a very immersive
        > experience neither? If the app could pass the needles eye in the first place ie?
        >
        > > These are great times!
        >
        > Can't say I look forward to more forking of the web...
        >
        > --
        > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 6:34 AM
          On 30 Apr 2010 at 10:39, erik_leeman wrote:

          > Neither do I Bjørn.
          >
          > My idea was: suppose there is an overloaded 2nd hand iPad market in the near future,
          > why not make good use of it?

          So you expect a lot of secondhand iPads soon?

          > But when I wrote "a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall", I didn't
          > mean a full 360 degrees of it, where would you put it?

          Mounted on an umbrella helmet? ;)
          But I guess one could use the built-in GPS/accellerometer/compass to automatically pan
          the pano when rotating your head/helmet, so there should be no need for a full 360deg...
          AR seems to a buzz word these days.

          > Something between 90 and 180
          > degrees with a nice big radius would be quite enough to be practical. But indeed, I
          > forgot about that wide edge. Oh well, maybe I'll come up with something else ; )

          I like your experimental attitude :)