Mt. Whitney at sunrise - Tucson Mission #3

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
      After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15 minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical

      http://bavaria360.de/tucson2010/mtwhitney.html

      Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next time ...

      Have fun
      Jürgen
    • Greg Nuspel
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
        I like how you managed to pick a spot where you shadow blends in with the trees shadow. Nice stuff you have from your trip.

        Greg

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
          Jürgen you should have stopped by. You were just 15 miles from my home
          in Independence. Here are a couple of shots of Mt. Whitney I took in
          early spring this year.

          http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html

          http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm

          I am about to release a series of products on DVD featuring VR panos of
          the southern Sierra Nevada. I have been working on this project for
          seven years so it is pretty exciting to be ready to roll it out. I fly
          to Minneapolis in a few days to proof the packaging materials as they
          roll off the presses.

          If any of you IVRPA members are in the Owens Valley, be sure to give me
          a call. My guest room is usually empty and you would be welcome to
          crash here.

          Paul Fretheim
        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
            Darn, I should have known that!

            But I had sooo many things to check for that travel that I didn't even think of the list of IVRPA members. Also Mt. Whitney wasn't on my first plan, I just dropped there due to bad weather conditions for my shoot at Lake Isabella.

            This whole area is so outstanding I could easily spend a year there.

            I'm looking forward to hear from your DVD product.

            Cheers
            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

            > Jürgen you should have stopped by. You were just 15 miles from my home
            > in Independence. Here are a couple of shots of Mt. Whitney I took in
            > early spring this year.
            >
            > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
            >
            > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
            >
            > I am about to release a series of products on DVD featuring VR panos of
            > the southern Sierra Nevada. I have been working on this project for
            > seven years so it is pretty exciting to be ready to roll it out. I fly
            > to Minneapolis in a few days to proof the packaging materials as they
            > roll off the presses.
            >
            > If any of you IVRPA members are in the Owens Valley, be sure to give me
            > a call. My guest room is usually empty and you would be welcome to
            > crash here.
            >
            > Paul Fretheim

          • Ron Rack
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
              Nice shot J�rgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the
              interstate and found that.

              ron rack

              On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

              > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15
              > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical
              >
              > http://bavaria360.de/tucson2010/mtwhitney.html
              >
              > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next
              > time ...
              >
              > Have fun
              > J�rgen

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                Well, I confess that there was some luck involved ;)

                What really happened is that I thought from viewing Google Earth the day before, that the Portal Road at Mount Whitney could be a good place for a shoot and that there also were campgrounds. But I arrived there when it was dark and had absoultely no idea where I was and what would be waiting for me in the morning.

                In fact it turned out, that I had missed the real campground and had parked more or less in it's driveway.

                The place already didn't look too bad, but in the first light before the sun came out I decided to drive more towards the mountains but was stopped after a mile because the road was closed.

                So I decided to make the best out of it and found this quite nice spot besides the main road. I still have to process the image from the sunrise shoot which might follow the next days, but it wasn't a spherical, though.

                My main concern was timing, because the light dramatically changes within 15 Minutes and, if any, you only have one chance each day.

                So for a place I never had seen before I should be satisfied with the result.

                Jürgen

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

                > Nice shot Jürgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the
                > interstate and found that.
                >
                > ron rack
                >

                > On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:
                >
                > > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15
                > > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical
                > >
                > > http://bavaria360.de/tucson2010/mtwhitney.html
                > >
                > > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next
                > > time ...
                > >
                > > Have fun
                > > Jürgen

              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                  Another perfect example of why we should all list ourselves on
                  <http://www.panomaps.com/ng/>.

                  Mark
                  www.pinnacle-vr.com
                  www.northernlight.net

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                    Mark,
                    how do we do that? can you post a link to where we list ourselves at?

                    ron rack

                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                      Excellent question, especially since looking at the site now, I can't figure
                      it out...

                      Mark
                      www.pinnacle-vr.com
                      www.northernlight.net

                      ------------------------------------

                      --
                    • Sacha Griffin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                        http://www.panomaps.com/ng/admin/

                        Deleting/changes are not available. Email me to do so.

                        This was my one first foray into CMS’s.

                        It was interesting to learn how to use Javascript/XML and how to store and
                        retrieve it via MYSQL all from scratch.

                        One day when I’m not fully booked up, I’ll try to make a simple drupal site,
                        that does all this much better.

                        Sacha Griffin

                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                        http://www.seeit360.net

                        http://www.southern-digital.com

                        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

                        404-551-4275

                        , Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                        > > Jürgen you should have stopped by. You were just 15 miles from my
                        > home
                        > > in Independence. Here are a couple of shots of Mt. Whitney I took in
                        > > early spring this year.
                        > >
                        > > http://inyopro.com/images/whitney_winter_LP_campground.html
                        > >
                        > > http://inyopro.com/images/Mt_Whitney.htm
                        > >
                        > > I am about to release a series of products on DVD featuring VR
                        > panos of
                        > > the southern Sierra Nevada. I have been working on this project for
                        > > seven years so it is pretty exciting to be ready to roll it out. I
                        > fly
                        > > to Minneapolis in a few days to proof the packaging materials as
                        > they
                        > > roll off the presses.
                        > >
                        > > If any of you IVRPA members are in the Owens Valley, be sure to
                        > give me
                        > > a call. My guest room is usually empty and you would be welcome to
                        > > crash here.
                        > >
                        > > Paul Fretheim

                      • A Kielcz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                          which lens camera did you use?

                          A Kielcz

                          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                          Well, I confess that there was some luck involved ;)

                          What really happened is that I thought from viewing Google Earth the day before, that the Portal Road at Mount Whitney could be a good place for a shoot and that there also were campgrounds. But I arrived there when it was dark and had absoultely no idea where I was and what would be waiting for me in the morning.

                          In fact it turned out, that I had missed the real campground and had parked more or less in it's driveway.

                          The place already didn't look too bad, but in the first light before the sun came out I decided to drive more towards the mountains but was stopped after a mile because the road was closed.

                          So I decided to make the best out of it and found this quite nice spot besides the main road. I still have to process the image from the sunrise shoot which might follow the next days, but it wasn't a spherical, though.

                          My main concern was timing, because the light dramatically changes within 15 Minutes and, if any, you only have one chance each day.

                          So for a place I never had seen before I should be satisfied with the result.

                          Jürgen

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Rack <ronrack@... > wrote:

                          > Nice shot Jürgen, doesn't look like you were just tooling down the

                          > interstate and found that.

                          > ron rack

                          > On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:53 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                          > > After a rather cold night in my car and after using the only 15

                          > > minutes for "first light shots" I did this spherical

                          > > http://bavaria360. de/tucson2010/ mtwhitney. html

                          > > Too bad the Portal Road was closed due to winter storms. Ah, next

                          > > time ...

                          > > Have fun

                          > > Jürgen

                        • AYRTON
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                            Jürgen

                            I just wanna say : It is GORGEOUS

                            I don't care about your camera
                            BUT
                            your EYES, your VISION
                            That is what is really important !!!
                            Be the magician that knows WHEN is the perfect MOMENT to take the shot !

                            Congratz my freind
                            Those mountains, just rocks :-)

                            Cheers
                            AYRTON

                            On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                            > which lens camera did you use?
                            >
                            > A Kielcz
                            >
                            > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                            | A Y R |
                            | T O N |
                          • jrgen_schrader
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                              Ayrton, you are too kind, my friend. Thank you.

                              Well, for the technique: it is a 5DMkII with 15mm Canon and 3 exposures.

                              Jürgen