Smartblend Performance

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 8:31 PM
      I tried Smartblend for the first time today because I wanted to see if it
      reduced
      ghosting. I had been getting ghosts for at least two separate reasons. One
      was
      HDR from bracketed exposures and the other was for people who appear in the
      overlap area between two shots on only one of the two. PTgui usually copes
      quite
      well with the latter, but when I use the simulated exposure fusion
      capability
      with a single-exposure (i.e., non-bracketed) set of images it sometimes
      leaves
      ghosts. I know how to eliminate these using a layered PS file, but would
      like to
      avoid the extra steps and effort involved.

      I was disappointed to find little or no improvement. I don't understand the
      command line options, so maybe there are some settings that might help...?
      and
      if so I would value suggestions.

      I was also very surprised at how much longer the processing took. Is this
      normal?
      The part of the process involving Smartblend took much longer than all the
      other
      sections (warping, fusing, saving, etc.) put together. This seemed a bit
      excessive, especially as I could hardly detect any improvement.

      I did change something else at about the same time--designating a new 1 TB
      drive
      for temporary files--so it could be that. But I'd like to know whether
      Smartblend
      is inherently much slower than the PTgui blender.

      Is it still limited to 8-bit colour? I remember reading that some time
      ago, but
      haven't been looking out for upgrades in this area.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger