krp on iPad

  • John Law
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
      In case anyone has not seen this hopeful email exchange from the krpano forum

      "Krpano on Iphone/Ipad ???
      Hi Klaus,

      Just a question ;) Do you have any plan for future of krpano on iPhone and iPad ? More and more people are using Apple while Apple won't support flash.
      to which he answered
      "Soon'

      Good news!

      JL

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
        GREAT news
        Klaus knows how important the combo iPhone + iPad are to big marketing of
        our panos

        Cheers
        AYRTON
        + happy

        On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:23 AM, John Law <mail@...> wrote:

        > In case anyone has not seen this hopeful email exchange from the krpano
        > forum
        >
        > "Krpano on Iphone/Ipad ???
        > Hi Klaus,
        >
        > Just a question ;) Do you have any plan for future of krpano on iPhone and
        > iPad ? More and more people are using Apple while Apple won't support flash.
        > to which he answered
        > "Soon'
        >
        > Good news!
        >
        > JL

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
          Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?

          If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
          This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?

          Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
          (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)

          These are great times!
          Cheers!

          Erik Leeman

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON wrote:

          > GREAT news
          > Klaus knows how important the combo iPhone + iPad are to big
          > marketing of our panos
          >
          > Cheers
          > AYRTON
          > + happy
        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
            On 30 Apr 2010, at 08:43, erik_leeman wrote:

            > Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?

            Yes, via BT or WIFI. That's how the various multi-device games work.

            > If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it
            > that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number
            > of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
            > This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical)
            > light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?

            The screen bezel is designed to be large enough to hold the iPad
            without touching the screen. Nice idea, but that makes the bezel *far*
            too big for it to work for this kind of thing.

            > Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
            > (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)

            The latest rumours are that development of the Slate has been
            cancelled pending HP's purchase of Palm.

            http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hewlett-packard-to-kill-windows-7-tablet-project/

            Mind you, I take everything that TC say with a healthy degree of
            scepticism and it doesn't appear to have been confirmed by anyone else.

            Ian

            P.S. In related news, the MS Courier has been confirmed as a device
            which isn't planned for production/release. A shame as there where
            some stunning bits of UI/UX in there. :-(
          • erik_leeman
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
              What a shame if it is indeed cancelled : (

              You're right about that iPad bezel, it would be a bit too wide for a nice view. But perhaps that 'tiled distribution' idea somehow can be used with different (affordable) hardware, who knows?

              Cheers!

              Erik Leeman

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood wrote:

              > Yes, via BT or WIFI. That's how the various multi-device games work.

              > The screen bezel is designed to be large enough to hold the iPad
              > without touching the screen. Nice idea, but that makes the bezel
              > *far* too big for it to work for this kind of thing.
              >
              > The latest rumours are that development of the Slate has been
              > cancelled pending HP's purchase of Palm.
              >
              > http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hewlett-packard-to-kill-windows-7-tablet-project/
              >
              > Mind you, I take everything that TC say with a healthy degree of
              > scepticism and it doesn't appear to have been confirmed by anyone
              > else.
              >
              > Ian
              >
              > P.S. In related news, the MS Courier has been confirmed as a
              > device which isn't planned for production/release. A shame as there
              > where some stunning bits of UI/UX in there. :-(
            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
                On 30 Apr 2010 at 7:43, erik_leeman wrote:

                > Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?
                >
                > If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
                > This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?
                >
                > Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
                > (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)

                It would take 15-30 iPads to build a circle with 50-100cm radius!!
                Not a very cheap solution, and I can't really see that it would provide a very immersive
                experience neither? If the app could pass the needles eye in the first place ie?

                > These are great times!

                Can't say I look forward to more forking of the web...

              • erik_leeman
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
                  Neither do I Bjørn.

                  My idea was: suppose there is an overloaded 2nd hand iPad market in the near future, why not make good use of it?

                  But when I wrote "a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall", I didn't mean a full 360 degrees of it, where would you put it?
                  Something between 90 and 180 degrees with a nice big radius would be quite enough to be practical.
                  But indeed, I forgot about that wide edge.
                  Oh well, maybe I'll come up with something else ; )

                  Cheers!

                  Erik Leeman

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                  > On 30 Apr 2010 at 7:43, erik_leeman wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is it possible for iPads to communicate with other iPads in any way?
                  > >
                  > > If so, I think it would be a good idea to create a panoviewer for it that can distribute an interactive panorama as 'tiles' over a number of iPads. Of course those tiles would have to pan in sync.
                  > > This way you could easily build a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall for displaying your work. Wouldn't that be nice?
                  > >
                  > > Just wait a few months, and it won't be too expensive either!
                  > > (think 'Slate' + an ENORMOUS amount of 2nd hand iPads on the market)
                  >
                  > It would take 15-30 iPads to build a circle with 50-100cm radius!!
                  > Not a very cheap solution, and I can't really see that it would provide a very immersive
                  > experience neither? If the app could pass the needles eye in the first place ie?
                  >
                  > > These are great times!
                  >
                  > Can't say I look forward to more forking of the web...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010
                    On 30 Apr 2010 at 10:39, erik_leeman wrote:

                    > Neither do I Bjørn.
                    >
                    > My idea was: suppose there is an overloaded 2nd hand iPad market in the near future,
                    > why not make good use of it?

                    So you expect a lot of secondhand iPads soon?

                    > But when I wrote "a nice concave (partly spherical) light-emitting wall", I didn't
                    > mean a full 360 degrees of it, where would you put it?

                    Mounted on an umbrella helmet? ;)
                    But I guess one could use the built-in GPS/accellerometer/compass to automatically pan
                    the pano when rotating your head/helmet, so there should be no need for a full 360deg...
                    AR seems to a buzz word these days.

                    > Something between 90 and 180
                    > degrees with a nice big radius would be quite enough to be practical. But indeed, I
                    > forgot about that wide edge. Oh well, maybe I'll come up with something else ; )

                    I like your experimental attitude :)