View VR on an Android?

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29 11:51 AM
      My current contract is up with Sprint, so I'm looking at the options for a
      smartphone. I currently have a Treo and use Kinoma to view local VR files.
      Is there an app for the Android system that will allow me to do this?
      Optionally, I guess I could surf to a page and view one that way, but
      sometimes it is more convenient for showing a potential customer when it
      runs locally.

      Thanks,

      Mark

      www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

      www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29 12:04 PM
        On 29 Apr 2010, at 19:51, Mark D. Fink wrote:

        > Optionally, I guess I could surf to a page and view one that way

        How?

        Ian
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29 12:10 PM
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29 12:34 PM
            On 29 Apr 2010, at 20:10, Mark D. Fink wrote:

            > By asking it really nicely? :o) Assuming I can surf the web from my
            > location, couldn't I just go to my site and view my VR's as if I was
            > at a
            > desktop?
            >
            > Or have I missed something painfully obvious, again...

            In one of the previous discussions about panoramas on iPhones, I asked
            if Flash Lite works with the various Flash pano viewers and was told
            that it didn't. You might have luck with a Java viewer.

            Remember that Flash 10.1 (the first 'full' version of Flash for
            mobiles) isn't in public beta yet.

            Ian

            EDIT - The HTC Hero might be able to show panos as I beleive it has a
            fuller version of Flash, but I know nobody who has one here in the UK
            to be able to check.
          • Isaac Garcia
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2010
              On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Ian Wood <panolists@...>wrote:

              > On 29 Apr 2010, at 20:10, Mark D. Fink wrote:
              >
              > > By asking it really nicely? :o) Assuming I can surf the web from my
              > > location, couldn't I just go to my site and view my VR's as if I was
              > > at a
              > > desktop?
              > >
              > > Or have I missed something painfully obvious, again...
              >
              > In one of the previous discussions about panoramas on iPhones, I asked
              > if Flash Lite works with the various Flash pano viewers and was told
              > that it didn't. You might have luck with a Java viewer.
              >
              > Remember that Flash 10.1 (the first 'full' version of Flash for
              > mobiles) isn't in public beta yet.
              >
              > Ian
              >
              > EDIT - The HTC Hero might be able to show panos as I beleive it has a
              > fuller version of Flash, but I know nobody who has one here in the UK
              > to be able to check.

              With the current implementation of flash in the Hero, you CAN see pano2vr
              generated panos, problem is, seeing them is about as much as you can do (you
              can also go fuul screen). And not a very high frame rate, anyway. (I´ve only
              done a limited amount of testing with panos "custom sized" the the Hero´s
              native screen size)

              At this moment, it seems as the main problem is that by default, panning the
              image is done by clicking + dragging, so my guess is that the player might
              need to take into account "finger dragging" as well.

              Which also brings up another issue, that of "google navigation" vs.
              "traditional vr navigation". For handheld devices, "google navigation" makes
              more sense that what we´re used to from qtvr, flash or desktop drag and
              drop.

              --
              Isaac García

              http://www.coletassoft.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
              http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
              http://twitter.com/coletassoft
              http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
              http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

              JFGI | RTFM

            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2010
                Thanks for the report, it's good to have some concrete info!

                Ian

                On 8 May 2010, at 17:11, Isaac Garcia wrote:

                > With the current implementation of flash in the Hero, you CAN see
                > pano2vr
                > generated panos, problem is, seeing them is about as much as you can
                > do (you
                > can also go fuul screen). And not a very high frame rate, anyway. (I
                > ´ve only
                > done a limited amount of testing with panos "custom sized" the the
                > Hero´s
                > native screen size)
                >
                > At this moment, it seems as the main problem is that by default,
                > panning the
                > image is done by clicking + dragging, so my guess is that the player
                > might
                > need to take into account "finger dragging" as well.
                >
                > Which also brings up another issue, that of "google navigation" vs.
                > "traditional vr navigation". For handheld devices, "google
                > navigation" makes
                > more sense that what we´re used to from qtvr, flash or desktop drag
                > and
                > drop.
              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 2010
                  I just saw this on the web:

                  http://www.appscout.com/2010/06/sprint_announces_android_22_up.php

                  Android version 2.2 was announced by Sprint to be available "in the near
                  future", (does that narrow it down to the current century?). They are
                  promising Flash 10 support. Has anyone else heard more than rumors on this?

                  Mark
                  www.virtual-travels.tumblr.com
                  www.pinnacle-vr.com
                  www.northernlight.net

                • Ian Wood
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 25, 2010
                    Apparently Flash 10.1 has been sent out to assorted phone manufacturers to be included in future OS upgrades.

                    Your guess as to when this happens and for which phone models is as good as mine. ;-)

                    Ian

                    P.S. I'm still wondering what happened to the public beta for mobile Flash 10.1...

                    On 25 Jun 2010, at 15:22, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                    > I just saw this on the web:
                    >
                    > http://www.appscout.com/2010/06/sprint_announces_android_22_up.php
                    >
                    > Android version 2.2 was announced by Sprint to be available "in the near
                    > future", (does that narrow it down to the current century?). They are
                    > promising Flash 10 support. Has anyone else heard more than rumors on this?
                    >
                    > Mark
                    > www.virtual-travels.tumblr.com
                    > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    > www.northernlight.net
                  • Roger Howard
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 25, 2010
                      Flash 10.1 is available now, on the Android store, for free - but it
                      requires Android Froyo, which is not widely available yet (as far as I
                      understand it). Many people are running developer and beta seeds of Froyo,
                      and can get Flash Player 10.1 (it's one of the top downloads ever on Android
                      Store) but for the general public they'll have to wait for their handset
                      upgrade.

                      -R

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 26, 2010