Ghosted people in Rectarlinear

  • Geoffrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2010
      Hi everyone, Geoff here in Jakarta.
      I have just joined and hope to have many interesting exchanges here.
      I'm a cameraman here and have done some manual stitching in the past so I am at least familiar with the concept. The understanding of the concept in fact came about years ago when I used to be an aerial survey cameraman. In that game, 60 or 80% overlapping of images, for stereoscopic imaging was necessary.
      Anyway i have just used Ptgui 8.3.3 Pro to do my first stitching. It cosists of a series of 44 overlapping images in three rows. On the right of the scene there is an anomoly - [refer to attach - oops, cant do that till I get the go ahead to attach files]- people who have moved are ghosted. So I gather the stitching process has used both images of the people [one row above the other] hence why the ghosting - they have moved position. I would like to see it use just one. But then again, what would i know. Can you advice me please how i can correct this.

      The shots were handheld with plenty of overlap on a Nikon D80 at 60mm, manual exposure.
      Thx
      Geoff
    • cvoneinem
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2010
        Hi Geoff,

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey" <idhazza@...> wrote:

        > Anyway i have just used Ptgui 8.3.3 Pro to do my first stitching. It
        > cosists of a series of 44 overlapping images in three rows. On the right
        > of the scene there is an anomoly - [refer to attach - oops, cant do that
        > till I get the go ahead to attach files]- people who have moved are
        > ghosted. So I gather the stitching process has used both images of the
        > people [one row above the other] hence why the ghosting - they have
        > moved position. I would like to see it use just one. But then again,
        > what would i know. Can you advice me please how i can correct this.

        You could upload images to the 'Files' section or maybe even better to flickr.com and link to the image in your posting.

        From your description I suspect you should try to mask out unwanted parts with alpha masks. JPGs don't accept masks so you need to use e.g. TIFF files. Masking unwanted parts is done using Photoshop or the GIMP.
        Maybe this wiki article will give you an idea of how that works:
        <http://wiki.panotools.org/How_to_use_enblend_for_patching_zenith_and_nadir_images>

        BTW Hugin will have a 'mask' tab in the next release, see <http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Mask_tab> (pre release versions are already available for testing purposes).

        Cheers,
        Carl
      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2010
          Hi and welcome.

          Have you tried using the Smartblend plugin in PTGui?

          Info:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Smartblend

          Download:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/wiki/images/3/37/Smartblend_1_2_5.zip

          Trausti

          On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Geoffrey <idhazza@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone, Geoff here in Jakarta.
          > I have just joined and hope to have many interesting exchanges here.
          > I'm a cameraman here and have done some manual stitching in the past so I
          > am at least familiar with the concept. The understanding of the concept in
          > fact came about years ago when I used to be an aerial survey cameraman. In
          > that game, 60 or 80% overlapping of images, for stereoscopic imaging was
          > necessary.
          > Anyway i have just used Ptgui 8.3.3 Pro to do my first stitching. It
          > cosists of a series of 44 overlapping images in three rows. On the right of
          > the scene there is an anomoly - [refer to attach - oops, cant do that till I
          > get the go ahead to attach files]- people who have moved are ghosted. So I
          > gather the stitching process has used both images of the people [one row
          > above the other] hence why the ghosting - they have moved position. I would
          > like to see it use just one. But then again, what would i know. Can you
          > advice me please how i can correct this.
          >
          > The shots were handheld with plenty of overlap on a Nikon D80 at 60mm,
          > manual exposure.
          > Thx
          > Geoff

        • toad me
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2010
            Thx for that Carl. I'll get onto the masking now that it is morning here [Jakarta] and let you know. I shot these pics on a D80 and have a set in tiff so here I go. The flicker idea sounds good too. Or maybe initially I'll use the Attach file section.

            many thanks Geoff