One minor drawback of Nikon 28mm F/2.8 Ai-S lens

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2010
      This is undoubtedly a very fine lens, but when I was looking for a 28mm
      lens for my 120/220 film rotary camera, the prior (Ai) version had a much
      larger image circle. The newer (still current?) lens is better within
      the 43mm diam. image circle necessary to cover 35mm film format, but the
      older lens has less fall-off in quality outside this area, and is usable
      almost to the very edge of the 57mm you need to cover the nominal 6cm
      width of the film. Only the width needs to be covered, of course, because
      rotary cameras use a slit across the width of the film that moves parallel
      with the edge. The better optimization of the newer Nikon design inside
      the image circle seems to have been at the cost of the performance outside
      it. Which is all perfectly right and proper, of course... Mine was a very
      oddball usage.

      In fact, there is an adapter available for the Hasseblad/Fujifilm X-pan
      camera that uses this same lens as an effective substitute for the very
      expensive 30mm Fuji lens. I was the proud and very satisfied user of this
      Fuji branded camera and seriously thought of getting the adapter so that
      I could use my Nikon on the TX-1, but the digital tide overtook me, and I
      stopped using both the 120/220 rotary camera and the TX-1. Once the 360
      by 180 bug bites, both rectilinear and cylindrical panoramas become less
      attractive, so I was not tempted to go back to film once I got used to the
      benefits of not having to scan my negatives before I could process the
      images.

      I still have the lens, and could use it on my D300, I suppose, although I
      never have. Hmmm.... Must remember to try that!

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger