Difficulty executing Autopano-SIFT-C 2.5.1 with Hugin 2009.4.0

  • biologistchris
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
      I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.

      I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
      (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.

      In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i

      In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT

      When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see the following:

      Could not execute command: C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"

      I would really appreciate help on this!
    • Harry van der Wolf
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
        Hi,

        the 2.5.1 version doesn't support the "--projection %f,%v" parameters yet.
        Just use "--maxmatches %p %o %i"

        Harry

        2010/4/22 biologistchris <biologistchris@...>

        > I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is
        > Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.
        >
        > I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control
        > Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
        > (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.
        >
        > In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i
        >
        > In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT
        >
        > When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see
        > the following:
        >
        > Could not execute command:
        > C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs
        > --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp
        > "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"
        >
        > I would really appreciate help on this!

      • Chris Martin
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
          Thanks Harry for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same error.

          Chris

          ________________________________
          the 2.5.1 version doesn't support the "--projection %f,%v"  parameters yet.
          Just use "--maxmatches %p %o %i"

          Harry

          2010/4/22 biologistchris <biologistchris@...>

          > I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is
          > Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.
          >
          > I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control
          > Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
          > (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.
          >
          > In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i
          >
          > In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT
          >
          > When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see
          > the following:
          >
          > Could not execute command:
          > C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs
          > --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp
          > "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"
          >
          > I would really appreciate help on this!

          ------------------------------------

        • Harry van der Wolf
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
            Hi,

            On inspecting your command line a little closer I now see that it says:
            "C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs".

            Autopano-sift-c is a C program and needs to be compiled so you get an
            executable (.exe). It's not a visual basic script (.vbs). I suppose the vbs
            is a "helper" program for autopano-sift-c, but it's not autopano-sift-c.

            Download one of Zoran Zorkic's windows zips from
            http://lemur.dreamhosters.com/hugin. It contains hugin and autopano-sift-c

            Harry

            2010/4/22 Chris Martin <biologistchris@...>

            > Thanks Harry for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same
            > error.
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
              On Thu 22-Apr-2010 at 19:38 +0200, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

              >the 2.5.1 version doesn't support the "--projection %f,%v" parameters yet.
              >Just use "--maxmatches %p %o %i"

              Just clarifying that both these interfaces should work with this
              version of autopano-sift-C. The main reason the original poster
              couldn't get it to work is that that the tar.gz archive only
              contains sourcecode.

              --
              Bruno
            • biologistchris
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
                Thanks for your input. So, since the tar.gz archive only contains sourcecode, how to I get the executeables? I apologize if this is a basic question, but I am at a loss.

                Chris

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno Postle <bruno@...> wrote:

                > On Thu 22-Apr-2010 at 19:38 +0200, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
                > >
                > >the 2.5.1 version doesn't support the "--projection %f,%v" parameters yet.
                > >Just use "--maxmatches %p %o %i"
                >
                > Just clarifying that both these interfaces should work with this
                > version of autopano-sift-C. The main reason the original poster
                > couldn't get it to work is that that the tar.gz archive only
                > contains sourcecode.
                >
                > --
                > Bruno

              • Bruno Postle
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
                  On Thu 22-Apr-2010 at 22:20 -0000, biologistchris wrote:

                  > Thanks for your input. So, since the tar.gz archive only contains
                  > sourcecode, how to I get the executeables? I apologize if this is
                  > a basic question, but I am at a loss.

                  Harry gave you a link, but neither Harry or I use Windows so you now
                  know as much as we do: http://lemur.dreamhosters.com/hugin/

                  --
                  Bruno
                • David
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 22, 2010
                    I could email it to you if you give me your email. (1.3MB) I did find it somewhere but can't remember off hand where right now.

                    I must say though, I have never had any good control points detected by Autopano-SIFT-C. I have had much better results with panomatic. Haven't tried any others yet.

                    David B

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "biologistchris" <biologistchris@...> wrote:

                    > I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.
                    >
                    > I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
                    > (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.
                    >
                    > In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i
                    >
                    > In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT
                    >
                    > When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see the following:
                    >
                    > Could not execute command: C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"
                    >
                    > I would really appreciate help on this!

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 23, 2010
                      autopano-sift-c has worked fine for me, as well as anything else, really.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dburton97128@...> wrote:

                      > I could email it to you if you give me your email. (1.3MB) I did find it somewhere but can't remember off hand where right now.
                      >
                      > I must say though, I have never had any good control points detected by Autopano-SIFT-C. I have had much better results with panomatic. Haven't tried any others yet.
                      >
                      > David B
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "biologistchris" <biologistchris@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.
                      > >
                      > > I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
                      > > (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.
                      > >
                      > > In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i
                      > >
                      > > In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT
                      > >
                      > > When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see the following:
                      > >
                      > > Could not execute command: C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"
                      > >
                      > > I would really appreciate help on this!

                    • _kfj
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2010
                        Hi Chris!
                        I read your post and saw that you had a newer version of hugin than the one I was using. (2009.2...) Oops! So I downloaded the 2009.4.0 installer, installed, and: no more autopano-sift-c! It seems that for some reason the autopano-sift-c exe file (so, the precompiled binary) is no longer in the installer! Now that's a bummer, especially since it's the default option. Even though automatic control point detection is a core issue, I often find there are problems here. One quick fix is to use autopano.exe, which is distributed with hugin. You can choose this via the settings. I don't use this much, though, since it doesn't seem to handle 16 bit TIFFs (all seems well, but it just finds zero control points) - if you use JPEGs or 8 bit TIFFs, you should be all right. When you choose autopano in the settings you may have to tell hugin it's path as well (it's in hugin\bin). Panomatic also does not seem to handle 16 bit TIFFs.
                        Personally, I have sneakily kept the autopano.sift-c exe file that came with my previous hugin installation ;) - that works just fine.
                        Now please don't be discouraged; hugin is really good software, never mind the odd glitch. Hope they put the autopano-sift-c exe back into the installer next time round!

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "biologistchris" <biologistchris@...> wrote:

                        > I downloaded autopano-sift-C-2.5.1.tar.gz and uncompressed it. My OS is Windows XP and I am running Hugin 2009.4.0.
                        >
                        > I have selected Autopano-SIFT-C (Default) on the Hugin Preferences, Control Point Detectors tab and entered (after picking Edit)
                        > (path to were the autopano sw was unzipped)\autopano-c-complete.vbs.
                        >
                        > In the Arguments box: --maxmatches %p --projection %f,%v %o %i
                        >
                        > In the Type box: Autopano-SIFT
                        >
                        > When I click on Align on the Assistant tab, after loading 2 images, I see the following:
                        >
                        > Could not execute command: C:\Software\Autopano_SW\autopano-sift-C-2.5.1\autopano-c-complete.vbs --maxmatches 20 --projection0,50.000000 C:\DOCUME~1\...\Temp\ap_4C.tmp "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M1.tif" "C:\AerialPhotos1927\1927_M2.tif"
                        >
                        > I would really appreciate help on this!

                      • michael crane
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 2, 2010
                          On Sun, May 2, 2010 7:02 pm, _kfj wrote:

                          > mind the odd glitch. Hope they put the autopano-sift-c exe back into the
                          > installer next time round!

                          just what is the deal with this autopano-sift-c
                          is it useable legally or what ?
                        • _kfj
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 5, 2010
                            I don't think there is a problem with it and rather suspect it's been forgotten when the installer was put together, but that's just my best guess. Since you could obviously download the source code, I reckon it's still available. But whenever you run it, it tells you that 'commercial applications may require a license...', so there is a software patent issue involved. But this holds true for both the SIFT and the SURF algorithm.
                            KFJ

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 8, 2010
                              one more thing: I browsed my panorama bookmarks and found one to a site that has very recent (but unofficial) Windows builds of hugin and collateral software. I was looking for something newer than the official 2009.something I downloaded a few days ago, because I had problems with the version of enblend that came with it (I think that was the problem...). So I downloaded hugin.win32.5118.rar from http://lemur.dreamhosters.com/hugin/
                              and so far it has worked fine for me (not hat my problem has disappeared since the enblend version is the same...). why is that relevant in your context? because the package contains autopano-sift-c.exe, so you don't have to compile it yourself. This revision is about two weeks old, it's actually 2010.1.0.5118, so it already has 2010 features which might take a long time until they show up in an official release.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                                Thanks for your help, but I was able to find the executeable for autopano-sift-c at http://tksharpless.net/ as well as the 2010.1.0.4920 version of Hugin.