Holy S... Google assumes his intention for FREE panos

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
      Holy s... Google assumes his intention to offer FREE panos

      <
      http://www.socialphototalk.com/google-enters-commercial-photo-business-for-free/

      and

      <http://maps.google.com/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html>

      :-(

      --
      ------------
      | A Y R |
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
        On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:59:39 +0900, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

        > Holy s... Google assumes his intention to offer FREE panos
        >
        > <
        > http://www.socialphototalk.com/google-enters-commercial-photo-business-for-free/
        >>

        > and
        >
        > <http://maps.google.com/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html>

        My information is that the businesses and establishments will have no say
        in
        how the panoramas are taken, i.e., will be unable to pose staff as
        customers,
        etc, or do anything other than give or withhold permission for the shoot.
        They will have no control over the number or sequence of panoramas taken.
        Nor will they be able to make direct use of the panoramas so taken except
        by
        pointing people to them so they can get a "look inside."

        The photographic equipment is reasonably good--DSLR with Sigma 8mm F/3.5
        fisheye lens, tripod and panorama head. The photographers are all local
        hires who have some familiarity with photography and are given instructions
        on how to take panoramas. They do not do any stitching. This is all done
        elsewhere by others who specialize in this.

        This looks like a good opportunity to make retailers thoroughly familiar
        with the benefits of VR panoramas, and to offer value-added services for
        those who will want to differentiate themselves from the rest.

        Roger W.

        The information comes from a Google employee who must remain nameless.
        While it may be accurate now (I believe it is) there is no guarantee
        that things will not change. But it doesn't look too bad for those of
        us who offer professional tours.

        --
        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
          Thanks for posting this Ayrton - its the first I have heard of it and Yes i
          am a little worried about the industry now - Roger makes some good points.

          Hopefully the quality will be not be very good, but the equipment spec there
          employees will be using seems actually pretty good.

          It may bring more attention to our industry, but on the other hand it could
          bring prices down. I wonder if they will add interior views to streetview,
          which is something we cannot compete with.

          I'm pretty resigned to this going ahead now - but I would like to hear views
          from the IVRPA on if anything can be done. Google has benefited from the
          panorama community as we have benefited from Google.

          What do you think their business model with this is - search and advertising
          ?

          I heard recently Google announced something to do with satnav technology
          and shares in Garmin and satnav companies plummeted, I know our industry is
          pretty small in comparison but at the same token if Google announced a free
          selling house service, estate agents would be in uproar !

          So it will be interesting to hear what IVRPA say - some of us may have moved
          to panoramic 360 tours because we may have felt the photography industry was
          under threat anyway, maybe this is a natural evolution and maybe is up to us
          to be one step ahead.

          Best wishes,

          tom

        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
            On 21 Apr 2010 at 2:18, tommo77funk wrote:

            > Thanks for posting this Ayrton - its the first I have heard of it and Yes i
            > am a little worried about the industry now - Roger makes some good points.
            >
            > Hopefully the quality will be not be very good, but the equipment spec there
            > employees will be using seems actually pretty good.

            But their stitcher is not - not for streetview anyway.

            > It may bring more attention to our industry, but on the other hand it could
            > bring prices down. I wonder if they will add interior views to streetview,
            > which is something we cannot compete with.
            >
            > I'm pretty resigned to this going ahead now - but I would like to hear views
            > from the IVRPA on if anything can be done. Google has benefited from the
            > panorama community as we have benefited from Google.

            Who could prevent a company from offering a free service?

            > What do you think their business model with this is - search and advertising
            > ?

            More users - more ad income..

            > I heard recently Google announced something to do with satnav technology
            > and shares in Garmin and satnav companies plummeted, I know our industry is
            > pretty small in comparison but at the same token if Google announced a free
            > selling house service, estate agents would be in uproar !

            When they start offering free ads we can all relax ;)

            > So it will be interesting to hear what IVRPA say - some of us may have moved
            > to panoramic 360 tours because we may have felt the photography industry was
            > under threat anyway, maybe this is a natural evolution and maybe is up to us
            > to be one step ahead.

            Google will shoot panoramas, but first they will only offer flat pictures (probably
            extracted from the panos). They will apparenly shoot more than one pano in each
            shop/interior, so there's actually nothing that prevents them from offereing VR tours as
            well?
            We just have to do it better, and we can add more bells and whistles, updates etc.
            Google allow businesses to upload their own pictures (and panos/tours?), and they could
            be made by us :)

          • Greg Nuspel
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
              This is where the artist will stand out. Google may offer the service for free and you will most likely get what you pay for. If people wouldn't want the best we would all be driving a Tata Nano and shooting with our 110 Instamatics. It may actually be a boost for business providing you turn out quality product.

              Greg

            • michael crane
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                On Wed, April 21, 2010 11:49 am, Greg Nuspel wrote:
                > This is where the artist will stand out. Google may offer the service for
                > free and you will most likely get what you pay for. If people wouldn't
                > want the best we would all be driving a Tata Nano and shooting with our
                > 110 Instamatics. It may actually be a boost for business providing you
                > turn out quality product.

                it is like Thomas Chippendale complaining Ikea will take all his business.
              • Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                  Hi Tom,

                  We have been discussing this issue inside the IVRPA and the consensus is
                  that the IVRPA can't interfere with how companies and individuals want
                  to conduct their business as long as this is done in a legal way.
                  In this case, Google is aiming to become the de facto leader in the VR
                  Photography industry by becoming the main provider of VR Photography
                  content trough the Street View and now Store View programs.

                  The catch here, is that Google provides these services for "free" but
                  will profit from them anyway by connecting this content to their adsense
                  business.

                  Personally, I think the only option for me is to rethink what I have
                  been doing in the last years as the Hotel industry is one of the main
                  targets in this new Google venture.
                  I am pretty sure Google will knock on my clients doors offering these
                  "free" services.

                  Os melhores cumprimentos,
                  Best regards,

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Carlos Chegado

                  Olho de Peixe Lda
                  Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                  Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

                  || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                  twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                  www.xprints.com ||

                  || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

                  On 21-04-2010 11:18, tommo77funk wrote:

                  > Thanks for posting this Ayrton - its the first I have heard of it and
                  > Yes i
                  > am a little worried about the industry now - Roger makes some good points.
                  >
                  > Hopefully the quality will be not be very good, but the equipment spec
                  > there
                  > employees will be using seems actually pretty good.
                  >
                  > It may bring more attention to our industry, but on the other hand it
                  > could
                  > bring prices down. I wonder if they will add interior views to streetview,
                  > which is something we cannot compete with.
                  >
                  > I'm pretty resigned to this going ahead now - but I would like to hear
                  > from the IVRPA on if anything can be done. Google has benefited from the
                  > panorama community as we have benefited from Google.
                  >
                  > What do you think their business model with this is - search and
                  > advertising
                  > ?
                  >
                  > I heard recently Google announced something to do with satnav technology
                  > and shares in Garmin and satnav companies plummeted, I know our
                  > industry is
                  > pretty small in comparison but at the same token if Google announced a
                  > free
                  > selling house service, estate agents would be in uproar !
                  >
                  > So it will be interesting to hear what IVRPA say - some of us may have
                  > moved
                  > to panoramic 360 tours because we may have felt the photography
                  > industry was
                  > under threat anyway, maybe this is a natural evolution and maybe is up
                  > to us
                  > to be one step ahead.
                  >
                  > Best wishes,
                  >
                  > tom

                • Randy Kosek
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                    I see that Google is not targeting chains, but individually owned stores. It seems like that might have the effect of stimulating the market, but leaving most of it open. I wonder if they will have a premium services option ?

                    Randy Kosek

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • Bjørn K Nilssen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                      On 21 Apr 2010 at 12:04, Carlos Chegado - www.carlosch wrote:

                      > Personally, I think the only option for me is to rethink what I have
                      > been doing in the last years as the Hotel industry is one of the main
                      > targets in this new Google venture.
                      > I am pretty sure Google will knock on my clients doors offering these
                      > "free" services.

                      Lucky for us then that Google is so US centric ;)

                      > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > Carlos Chegado

                    • Rick Drew
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                        Personally I see it as devastating for independents like most of us. No one seems to know how Google selected photographers. Chicago is one of the areas targeted (where I am) and none of the pano companies here seem to know anything about it or involvement. It looks like Google trained their own people, not hiring existing, experienced, pano photographers. Google will be charging $25 a month to provide a custom barcode (forget what it’s called) – one of those square codes like you see on UPS packages. Anyone with an Android device, Smart phone, iPhone, or device with a scanner and web connection simply scans the code and are automatically sent to the free business website Google will be providing. Yes, a free website. It will also be tied into Google maps, Google local businesses and the whole new Google Local thing they have launched.

                        So, Google offers one of my potential clients a free website, all kinds of premium placement in Google maps and searches, free VR image/s, and for a fee, the code. To add insult to injury, they don’t even use local, experienced pano photographers.

                        Local competition was stiff enough. Now I have to compete with Google?!

                        Rick Drew

                      • Rick Drew
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                          "it is like Thomas Chippendale complaining Ikea will take all his business."

                          And they did. Ikea is the largest furniture seller on the planet. It's
                          founder is a multi-billionaire. Chippendale? Collector's items and
                          oddities. Sure, our quality is better, but given the choice of a FREE tour
                          with website and other free Google services, or paying for a tour
                          (especially in this "soft" economy) the choice is pretty obvious.

                          99% of businesses want quantity, not quality. 99.99999% of real estate
                          agents want quantity._.

                          Small businesses account for about half my clients. Selling them was hard
                          enough.

                          Rick Drew

                        • ptgroup
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                            Well said Rick !
                            That is the point - unfortunately.
                            ciao
                            mike
                            ----------------------------
                            ----------------------------
                            360? VR Fotografie:
                            http://www.360de.de

                            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                            -----------------------------
                            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010
                              On Wed, April 21, 2010 7:31 pm, ptgroup wrote:
                              > Well said Rick !
                              > That is the point - unfortunately.
                              > ciao mike ----------------------------
                              > ----------------------------
                              > 360? VR Fotografie:
                              > http://www.360de.de
                              >

                              > NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                              > http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                              > -----------------------------
                              > Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                              > http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

                              well yes Rick is correct from this perspective. I am as annoyed that they
                              do it for free and pay 7ukp per hour to the mechanist having been chasing
                              applications for this stuff for years. yet it is hard to complain about a
                              technology.

                              mick

                              /\
                              top
                              bottom
                              \/
                            • tom_a_sparks
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 21, 2010

                                > Holy s... Google assumes his intention to offer FREE panos
                                >
                                > <
                                > http://www.socialphototalk.com/google-enters-commercial-photo-business-for-free/
                                > >

                                > and
                                >
                                > <http://maps.google.com/help/maps/businessphotos/faq.html>
                                >
                                > :-(

                                good its US centric
                                and google streetview only has 10% of my town mapped, the other 90% is dirt roads.....