Re: To HDR before panorama or after?

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
      On Monday, November 20, 2006 at 15:58, leshalldallas wrote:

      > > Then make two tiffs from each raw image: one as light as possible with
      > > ful highlight detail and a second--typically 1.5 to 2 stops more
      > > open--for shadows. Combine each pair with the Fred Miranda plug-in
      > > called DRI pro, following the simple instructions. Then create the
      > > panorama in the usual way.
      >
      > I concur about using RAW as the means of achieving this result - it's
      > a lot easier and faster. Although I don't understand the benefit of
      > making the lightest exposure.

      I see no point in extracting differently "exposed" shots from raw and
      creating a HDR of it. It's a very complicated way to fill your
      hardrive with redundant data. RAWs are usually not more than 12 or 14
      bit per channel. All the relevant information of a RAW file can be
      converted to a 16 bit per channel image without loss. I'v outlined a
      usable technique in
      http://wiki.panotools.org/RAW_dynamic_range_extraction

      If you want the extreme tonemapped look you can even feed this single
      16 bit image to any tonemapper (FDRTools, Photomatix...) you want.
      But usually playing a bit with Shadows and Highlights or my contrast
      masking actions or even a mere contrast enhancement with unshap mask
      (with high radius) should do...

      best regards
      http://www.erik-krause.de/