looking for a video camera...

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
      So, it is time for me for a small video camera.
      Something to document things, to play with.
      It has to be cheap, to record at least at 720p, have some manual
      controls, and a decent image quality.
      I'd say low light shooting capability is important too.
      SD memory card is good, no need for big internal memory or hard disk.
      Price target from 300 to 500.
      Till now I've seen and used a bit a sanyo xacti FH-1 that runs for 300
      euros and spots a good 1080p.
      Low light image is bad, but otherways it is quite perfect.
      Please, any suggestion?!!?

      --
      Luca Vascon.

      www.canalview.it
      www.officinepanottiche.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
        Am 19.04.2010 09:01, schrieb luca vascon:
        > Low light image is bad, but otherways it is quite perfect.
        > Please, any suggestion?!!?

        Not your price range, but I'd take a Canon 5DII or 7D. You can use all
        your precious Zeiss and Contax lenses with it and low light capability
        is good...

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
          Even a 550D...
          :-)
          But out of price target!!!!

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2010
            Am 19.04.2010 23:24, schrieb luca vascon:
            > Even a 550D...
            > :-)
            > But out of price target!!!!

            Well, use it at 50% for regular shooting and you're inside your target ;-)

          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2010
              ;-)
              Empty purse, unfortunately.

              2010/4/19 Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:
              > Am 19.04.2010 23:24, schrieb luca vascon:
              >> Even a 550D...
              >> :-)
              >> But out of price target!!!!
              >
              > Well, use it at 50% for regular shooting and you're inside your target ;-)
              >
              > --
              > Erik Krause
              > http://www.erik-krause.de

              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com
            • prague
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2010
                Flip video camera

                you will never, ever regret getting one. i promise.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                > So, it is time for me for a small video camera.
                > Something to document things, to play with.
                > It has to be cheap, to record at least at 720p, have some manual
                > controls, and a decent image quality.
                > I'd say low light shooting capability is important too.
                > SD memory card is good, no need for big internal memory or hard disk.
                > Price target from 300 to 500.
                > Till now I've seen and used a bit a sanyo xacti FH-1 that runs for 300
                > euros and spots a good 1080p.
                > Low light image is bad, but otherways it is quite perfect.
                > Please, any suggestion?!!?
                >
                > --
                > Luca Vascon.
                >
                > www.canalview.it
                > www.officinepanottiche.com

              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 25, 2010
                  On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:53:28 +0900, prague <360cities@...> wrote, in
                  reply to a request from Luca Vascon:

                  > Flip video camera
                  >
                  > you will never, ever regret getting one. i promise.
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Till now I've seen and used a bit a sanyo xacti FH-1 that runs for 300
                  >> euros and spots a good 1080p.
                  >> Low light image is bad, but otherways it is quite perfect.
                  >> Please, any suggestion?!!?

                  Ii followed up this by searching for Flip video cameras and found what
                  looks like a very nice HD model with a sliding screen. Unfortunately it
                  is not sold in Japan.

                  Funny OT story follows.

                  Amazon did not display the price (I had already found the recommended
                  retail price from the Flip website) and said this was because they were
                  selling it at below the recommended price and could not display it
                  under the terms of their agreement with the manufacturer. To see the
                  price you have to put it in your purchase basket. Actually I not only
                  had to put it in my basket but also to enter my credit card details and
                  home address etc., before the price would appear. What a pain.

                  Punch line?

                  They were selling it for US$2 less than the rrp. TWO DOLLARS! And the
                  postage to Japan would be US$26.

                  Argh!

                  I am looking for an inexpensive HD video camera that I can use to take
                  stereo panoramas.

                  Would this be suitable? It's HD, but doesn't say whether it's 720 or
                  1080 pixels.

                  Roger W.

                  --
                  Business: www.adex-japan.com
                  Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 25, 2010
                    2010/4/25 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>:
                    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:53:28 +0900, prague <360cities@...> wrote, in
                    > reply to a request from Luca Vascon:
                    >
                    >> Flip video camera
                    >>
                    >> you will never, ever regret getting one. i promise.
                    >>

                    >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
                    >>>

                    >>> Till now I've seen and used a bit a sanyo xacti FH-1 that runs for 300
                    >>> euros and spots a good 1080p.
                    >>> Low light image is bad, but otherways it is quite perfect.
                    >>> Please, any suggestion?!!?
                    >
                    > Ii followed up this by searching for Flip video cameras and found what
                    > looks like a very nice HD model with a sliding screen. Unfortunately it
                    > is not sold in Japan.

                    go for 1080P as PROGRESSIVE scan and not interlaced...
                    :-)
                    canon 550D will be my choice.