ICCI360 Festival

  • panometr
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 18, 2010
      Hi,

      What? ICCI 360 Festival
      When? September 13th – 18th 2010
      Where? Plymouth, UK

      This is a fantastic opportunity to create and present work on a massive, panoramic 63m x 6m screen within a 20m diameter arena in the city centre of Plymouth.

      Call for content:
      PDF: http://bit.ly/bgYUau

      Technical specification:
      PDF: http://bit.ly/cPyR4q

      Expressions of interest should be submitted by the 29th April.

      Regards,
      Karol Kwiatek
      University of Plymouth
      www.charles3d.info
      http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=29437
    • tommo77funk
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 21, 2010
        Hi Karol,

        This sounds great, are we able to send greater resolution than
        9600 px wide ? I mean is it possible to show gigapixel panorama ? I cant
        believe how big this screen is !!!

        I shot a handheld panorama of an excellent Peter Stephens panorama from the
        last event -
        http://www.360cities.net/image/immesive-digital-arena#351.00,-10.70,70.0

        Immersive in every sense !

        thanks,

        tom

      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
          Just a reminder that the deadline for submissions of interest is
          tomorrow.

          Video from the small 'test run' version last month:
          http://www.ianjameswood.co.uk/blog/20100317_digital-arena-test-run-documentation

          Ian

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
            P.S. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjameswood/sets/72157623394254435/

            Photos of the 12m test dome, to give you a better idea of the aspect
            ratio. I tried 'squashing' panoramic images and taking a 50˚ vertical
            FoV then squashing it down to the 1080px/40˚ size of the canvas and it
            worked well.

            Ian
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
              On 28 Apr 2010 at 16:55, Ian Wood wrote:

              > P.S. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjameswood/sets/72157623394254435/
              >
              > Photos of the 12m test dome, to give you a better idea of the aspect
              > ratio. I tried 'squashing' panoramic images and taking a 50 vertical
              > FoV then squashing it down to the 1080px/40 size of the canvas and it
              > worked well.

              Intriguing. I really never thought about this project until now, but started thinking
              about possible concepts combining sphericals, 3D and animation. It's a bit late though...

              I notice that although the screen is part of the northern hemisphere the horizon is still
              in the middle of the screen.
              Is this what works best?
              Should the pano be spherical or cylindrical projection, or doesn't it matter?
              If "shooting" with 5 sync'ed "video" cameras, should they use 72 degrees cylindrical
              hfov, or just plain rectilinear projection? And 50degrees vertical squashed to 40?
              No chance of extending the projectors vertically to approach zenith?

              > Ian

            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
                On 28 Apr 2010, at 17:20, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                > On 28 Apr 2010 at 16:55, Ian Wood wrote:
                >
                >> P.S. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjameswood/sets/
                >> 72157623394254435/
                >>
                >> Photos of the 12m test dome, to give you a better idea of the aspect
                >> ratio. I tried 'squashing' panoramic images and taking a 50 vertical
                >> FoV then squashing it down to the 1080px/40 size of the canvas and it
                >> worked well.
                >
                > Intriguing. I really never thought about this project until now, but
                > started thinking
                > about possible concepts combining sphericals, 3D and animation. It's
                > a bit late though...

                It's only the *ideas* that have to be submitted by tomorrow - the
                deadline for actual work is in July, giving about two months for
                production.

                > I notice that although the screen is part of the northern hemisphere
                > the horizon is still
                > in the middle of the screen.

                That depends purely on the image fed to the projectors. I tried a few
                different ones, putting the horizon about 1/4 the way up the image
                seemed to work well.

                > Should the pano be spherical or cylindrical projection, or doesn't
                > it matter?

                It doesn't matter too much.

                > If "shooting" with 5 sync'ed "video" cameras, should they use 72
                > degrees cylindrical
                > hfov, or just plain rectilinear projection?

                I'd go for rectilinear. As far as I could tell, the actual projection
                was five x rectilinear which if you knew what to look for was just
                about visible between screens. The final screen will be using exposure
                blending to get a complete seamless image, not sure what will happen
                then.

                > And 50degrees vertical squashed to 40?

                That was just me trying to squeeze a bit more subject matter into the
                narrow strip that was available. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

                > No chance of extending the projectors vertically to approach zenith?

                The projectors are actually hanging in the middle of the ceiling, so
                there's no way to get a zenith, but the floor is totally clear. it's
                almost the opposite of a planetarium setup.

                Ian
              • michael crane
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
                  On Wed, April 28, 2010 5:59 pm, Ian Wood wrote:

                  >>> P.S. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjameswood/sets/
                  >>> 72157623394254435/

                  I talked with Martin Woolner last week I understand the deadline is not
                  for submissions but for registering then you have 'till September to do
                  it. ?

                  cheers

                  mick
                • Ian Wood
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 28, 2010
                    On 28 Apr 2010, at 18:38, michael crane wrote:

                    > I talked with Martin Woolner last week I understand the deadline is
                    > not
                    > for submissions but for registering then you have 'till September to
                    > do
                    > it. ?

                    Yes, tomorrow is just the deadline for ideas/registering an interest.

                    The date I've heard for getting the produced work in is 12th July, but
                    I've no idea how elastic that is.

                    Ian
                  • Bjørn K Nilssen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                      On 28 Apr 2010 at 17:59, Ian Wood wrote:

                      Thanks

                      > It's only the *ideas* that have to be submitted by tomorrow - the
                      > deadline for actual work is in July, giving about two months for
                      > production.

                      OK. I'll see if can get something down on "paper" today then.

                      > > I notice that although the screen is part of the northern hemisphere
                      > > the horizon is still
                      > > in the middle of the screen.
                      >
                      > That depends purely on the image fed to the projectors. I tried a few
                      > different ones, putting the horizon about 1/4 the way up the image
                      > seemed to work well.
                      >
                      > > Should the pano be spherical or cylindrical projection, or doesn't
                      > > it matter?
                      >
                      > It doesn't matter too much.
                      >
                      > > If "shooting" with 5 sync'ed "video" cameras, should they use 72
                      > > degrees cylindrical
                      > > hfov, or just plain rectilinear projection?
                      >
                      > I'd go for rectilinear. As far as I could tell, the actual projection
                      > was five x rectilinear which if you knew what to look for was just
                      > about visible between screens. The final screen will be using exposure
                      > blending to get a complete seamless image, not sure what will happen
                      > then.

                      OK. But a wide single-frame video would have to be cylindrical/spherical anyway I guess.

                      > > And 50degrees vertical squashed to 40?
                      >
                      > That was just me trying to squeeze a bit more subject matter into the
                      > narrow strip that was available. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

                      It is a quite narrow strip, so I guess a little squashing works nicely?

                      > > No chance of extending the projectors vertically to approach zenith?
                      >
                      > The projectors are actually hanging in the middle of the ceiling, so
                      > there's no way to get a zenith, but the floor is totally clear. it's
                      > almost the opposite of a planetarium setup.

                      But the floor will be full of people (hopefully)?
                      Using 3D it should not really be a problem to render any projections/squashing, and later
                      inflate it vertically to twice the height or more, if only there would be screen
                      available. It looks like there's a screen inside the dome, and that the images are not
                      projected directly onto the "canvas", which I guess limits its flexibiity, but increases
                      quality?

                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                        On 28 Apr 2010 at 20:30, Ian Wood wrote:

                        > On 28 Apr 2010, at 18:38, michael crane wrote:
                        >
                        > > I talked with Martin Woolner last week I understand the deadline is
                        > > not
                        > > for submissions but for registering then you have 'till September to
                        > > do
                        > > it. ?
                        >
                        > Yes, tomorrow is just the deadline for ideas/registering an interest.

                        OK then, my application is on its way.:)

                        > The date I've heard for getting the produced work in is 12th July, but
                        > I've no idea how elastic that is.

                        That's a long time for setting things up for exhibit in September?

                      • Ian Wood
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                          On 29 Apr 2010, at 09:30, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                          > But the floor will be full of people (hopefully)?

                          Yes.

                          > Using 3D it should not really be a problem to render any projections/
                          > squashing, and later
                          > inflate it vertically to twice the height or more, if only there
                          > would be screen
                          > available. It looks like there's a screen inside the dome, and that
                          > the images are not
                          > projected directly onto the "canvas", which I guess limits its
                          > flexibiity, but increases
                          > quality?

                          Yes, there's a screen on the inside of the dome, making it much
                          brighter and sharper than projecting directly onto the dome material.

                          Ian
                        • Ian Wood
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                            On 29 Apr 2010, at 13:29, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                            > OK then, my application is on its way.:)

                            :-)

                            >> The date I've heard for getting the produced work in is 12th July,
                            >> but
                            >> I've no idea how elastic that is.
                            >
                            > That's a long time for setting things up for exhibit in September?

                            It sounds a bit long to me as well, I was just going by the published
                            date. From Mick's discussion with Martin it sounds like there is a
                            longer period for production than that.

                            Ian
                          • michael crane
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                              On Thu, April 29, 2010 1:39 pm, Ian Wood wrote:

                              > It sounds a bit long to me as well, I was just going by the published
                              > date. From Mick's discussion with Martin it sounds like there is a longer
                              > period for production than that.

                              I wouldn't take September as correct, I only recall there was some time
                              between registering an interest and the exhibition.

                              cheers

                              mick
                            • Bjørn K Nilssen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                                On 29 Apr 2010 at 14:53, michael crane wrote:

                                > On Thu, April 29, 2010 1:39 pm, Ian Wood wrote:
                                > >

                                > > It sounds a bit long to me as well, I was just going by the published
                                > > date. From Mick's discussion with Martin it sounds like there is a longer
                                > > period for production than that.
                                >
                                > I wouldn't take September as correct, I only recall there was some time
                                > between registering an interest and the exhibition.

                                According to the docs the registering/application was 29.4.
                                The works should be submitted by 12.7 and the festival is between 13th and 18th
                                September.
                                That's 2 full months between 'ready' and 'go'?

                              • panometr
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                                  Hi,

                                  Just to get the idea of the type of the screen, please have a look to this video panorama:
                                  http://www.charles3d.info/360video/360screen/krakow

                                  You still have 23 minutes...

                                  Karol Kwiatek
                                  University of Plymouth
                                • Ian Wood
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 29, 2010
                                    On 29 Apr 2010, at 23:37, panometr wrote:

                                    > You still have 23 minutes...

                                    Mine went out 30 minutes ago. Too busy telling other people about
                                    it... ;-)

                                    Ian