Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Apple flashes a finger -- REPEAT

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 9, 2010
      Ok, you are right. OS does multi-tasking. Third
      party apps (Flash, Java) aren't allowed to.

      Does preemptive multitasking for certain things. Allows
      multiprocessing on multiple cores but the iPhone and iPad
      only have one core in the A4 processor.

      http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/02/meet-the-a4-the-ipads-brain.ars

      http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/18/inside_apples_ipad_multitasking.html

      "While there are certain benefits to being able to run multiple
      applications at once, there are also a series of reasons why Apple
      deliberately chose to use a security model in the iPhone OS that only
      allows one app to run at once."

      http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03/31/apples_iphone_4_0_to_support_multitasking_via_expose_like_interface.html

      "Today's iPhone 3.x firmware is a fully preemptive multitasking
      operating system, but it artificially restricts apps (other than
      specific ones bundled with the system by Apple) from running in the
      background."

      Still, what's the problem and why should we care?