Newbie to 5D MKII and Nikkor 10.5mm. Awful pictures.

  • conan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
      Hi,

      I seem to be missing an important step when using the nikkor 10.5mm lens on the Canon 5D MKII.

      It's attached using the Fotodiox Nikon F to Canon EOS Lens Mount Adapter (PRO) and I followed an online tutorial about putting a small piece of plastic in the lens to keep it set to approx F6 (that's a guess) which is what I use to use with the Nikon D80. Looking through the eyepiece the image looks nice and sharp.

      I can take 4 shots around no problem and stitch them together but the quality looks awful. Not the PTGui stitching quality but the actual image itself looks as though it was shot with a 2mp camera. Out of focus, noise, I was gutted. Looking straight up there is a dark patch so I could probably get rid of that by taking an additional shot 60 degrees up as I use to.

      Is there a specific camera setting I should be using for 360 degree shots. The exif data shows the lens as being 50mm.

      One good thing though….. who says you can't put a 5D MKII on an old Nodal Ninja 3. Just saved myself $500 :-)

      I look forward to any advice please,

      Thanks,

      Andrew
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
        First thing to check is focus with lifeview at max. magnification.

        Cheers
        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "conan" <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I seem to be missing an important step when using the nikkor 10.5mm lens on the Canon 5D MKII.
        >
        > It's attached using the Fotodiox Nikon F to Canon EOS Lens Mount Adapter (PRO) and I followed an online tutorial about putting a small piece of plastic in the lens to keep it set to approx F6 (that's a guess) which is what I use to use with the Nikon D80. Looking through the eyepiece the image looks nice and sharp.
        >
        > I can take 4 shots around no problem and stitch them together but the quality looks awful. Not the PTGui stitching quality but the actual image itself looks as though it was shot with a 2mp camera. Out of focus, noise, I was gutted. Looking straight up there is a dark patch so I could probably get rid of that by taking an additional shot 60 degrees up as I use to.
        >
        > Is there a specific camera setting I should be using for 360 degree shots. The exif data shows the lens as being 50mm.
        >
        > One good thing though….. who says you can't put a 5D MKII on an old Nodal Ninja 3. Just saved myself $500 :-)
        >
        > I look forward to any advice please,
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Andrew

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "conan" <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I seem to be missing an important step when using the nikkor 10.5mm lens on the Canon 5D MKII.
          >
          > It's attached using the Fotodiox Nikon F to Canon EOS Lens Mount Adapter (PRO) and I followed an online tutorial about putting a small piece of plastic in the lens to keep it set to approx F6 (that's a guess) which is what I use to use with the Nikon D80. Looking through the eyepiece the image looks nice and sharp.
          >
          > I can take 4 shots around no problem and stitch them together but the quality looks awful. Not the PTGui stitching quality but the actual image itself looks as though it was shot with a 2mp camera. Out of focus, noise, I was gutted. Looking straight up there is a dark patch so I could probably get rid of that by taking an additional shot 60 degrees up as I use to.
          >
          > Is there a specific camera setting I should be using for 360 degree shots. The exif data shows the lens as being 50mm.
          >
          > One good thing though….. who says you can't put a 5D MKII on an old Nodal Ninja 3. >Just saved myself $500 :-)

          That might be me. At least I told that to many.

          You should use the Life view to focus the image. Zoom in to maximum in the viewer and focus at a subject 1.6meters from lens. Tape it there with ducktape.

          That should give you focus from 0.75m to infinity even at full aperture 2.8.

          I asume that you have it shaved and if you set the cropcircle just inside the actual image circle you should have enough for the zenith even without tilting up at all.

          However do not expect the quality at the top and bottom to be super sharp.
          Remember that the focusplane is flat so the area close to your tripod is just 30 cm in focus distance even if it is 2 meters in real distance.

          Hans
        • conan
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
            Now we're talking! Thanks for the replies.

            I totally forgot about live view as I'm not use to using it. That certainly cleared up the focus issue and looks a great deal better.

            I tried your method Hans and it worked but as you said the top and bottom are not over sharp. Next I tried 4 shots around (down 10 degrees) and then 1 shot up (30 degrees)and got the sharpness I was after with still only 5 shots. Excellent :-)

            Have to spend some time working out what the NN3 settings are for the nikkor 10.5mm lens on the Canon 5D MKII. The control points distance is pretty wild in PTGui although it does appear to stitch well.

            Regarding my previous comment about using the 5D MKII on the older NN3, I don't see any problems for a regular weight fisheye lens but I wouldn't go sticking a large zoom lens on there in portrait mode ;-)

            Thanks again.

            Andrew
          • Isaac Garcia
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
              FWIW, I´ve been using the NN3 + 30D + grip (sometimes) + Peleng / Sigma
              18-200mm OS (even at 200mm) / Canon 16-35mm without a lot of problems and
              good results; and now I´m using the NN3 + 5Dmk2 + Peleng +16-35mm + 50mm 1.8
              also with good results.

              Sure, it´s not the sturdiest setup for the above equipment, but that´s
              pushing it to just about the limit anyway...

              Cheers.

              On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:46 AM, conan <conanthedestroya222@...>wrote:

              > Now we're talking! Thanks for the replies.
              >
              > I totally forgot about live view as I'm not use to using it. That certainly
              > cleared up the focus issue and looks a great deal better.
              >
              > I tried your method Hans and it worked but as you said the top and bottom
              > are not over sharp. Next I tried 4 shots around (down 10 degrees) and then 1
              > shot up (30 degrees)and got the sharpness I was after with still only 5
              > shots. Excellent :-)
              >
              > Have to spend some time working out what the NN3 settings are for the
              > nikkor 10.5mm lens on the Canon 5D MKII. The control points distance is
              > pretty wild in PTGui although it does appear to stitch well.
              >
              > Regarding my previous comment about using the 5D MKII on the older NN3, I
              > don't see any problems for a regular weight fisheye lens but I wouldn't go
              > sticking a large zoom lens on there in portrait mode ;-)
              >
              > Thanks again.
              >
              > Andrew

              Isaac García

              http://www.coletassoft.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
              http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
              http://twitter.com/coletassoft
              http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
              http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

              JFGI | RTFM

            • Wim Koornneef
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2010
                Hello Andrew,

                I read that you solved the focus issue, the images are now sharp again and
                you are ready to go :-)

                Just a small tip, when working in PTGui, when you have to set CP's manually
                don't put them to close to the circle crop, set them not closer then at
                approx. 175 degree, so at a little distance from the crop circle.

                The reason is this, the image mapping of the Nikon 10.5 is a little
                different from most other fisheye lenses and the image part very close to
                the crop circle is much more compressed, when you set CP's in this very
                compressed region then PTGui will calculate huge lens correction parameters
                and this can introduce errors at the seems.

                Success,
                Wim
              • Hans
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Andrew,
                  >
                  > I read that you solved the focus issue, the images are now sharp again and
                  > you are ready to go :-)
                  >
                  > Just a small tip, when working in PTGui, when you have to set CP's manually
                  > don't put them to close to the circle crop, set them not closer then at
                  > approx. 175 degree, so at a little distance from the crop circle.
                  >
                  > The reason is this, the image mapping of the Nikon 10.5 is a little
                  > different from most other fisheye lenses and the image part very close to
                  > the crop circle is much more compressed, when you set CP's in this very
                  > compressed region then PTGui will calculate huge lens correction parameters
                  > and this can introduce errors at the seems.

                  This depends on if you really want to use the last part and shoot only 3 images.
                  To get the Nikkor 10,5mm to stitch also at the zenith you need a high level of correction for the a correction and the best way to do it is to set a at -0.16 and just leave it there without optimizing it in PTGui.

                  Also make sure you do not optimize for c if you take 4 images or more.
                  It might give you a pincushion distortion at the centre.

                  Hans