The effect of zooming in stereo panoramas.

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      I have solved, to my own satisfaction at any rate, the way zooming
      works in stereo panoramas.

      Apparently, zooming in reduces the angle of view and therefore
      multiplies the effective lens separation by the same amount, so
      that when you zoom in upon distant objects, the stereo separation
      between them is enhanced, and you get (as I have written elsewhere)
      the impression that you are actually moving closer to the objects
      in view rather than just enlarging a picture of them. For me, this
      is a significant enhancement of the "reality" part of Virtual
      Reality.

      The only problem is that as you pan past objects much closer at
      hand, the parallax between them is exaggerated to more than the
      eyes can accommodate, and produces a rather uncomfortable
      effect.

      I suspect this may encourage people to restrict the ability to
      zoom in, so that viewers are protected from this discomfort.
      Personally I would prefer to be able to zoom in to more distant
      objects and blink when nearer objects pan past. <grin>

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger