Rooftop pole pano in the dark (15 sec. exposure!)

  • erik_leeman
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi all,

      I'd like to show you a pano I didn't really believe I would be able to make: a hand held (8meter) pole panorama of a city at night!

      Here's a link (2.4MB):

      <http://tinyurl.com/BrugesRoofTopNight>

      It's the (very old) city of Bruges in Belgium as seen from above the rooftops.

      It was shot with a Canon EOS 5D + 15mm Sigma fisheye (f8.0 - 15 sec. exposure @ ISO 200). PTGui, Photoshop and Pano2VR did the rest.

      I hope you like the result as much as I do.

      Cheers!

      Erik Leeman

      (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
        Neat! I think it looks really great and has a nice unique atmosphere.

        How do you keep a pole steady for 15 seconds?

        Too bad there's no sound!

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.seeit360.net

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
          Thanks Sacha!

          The weather war quite bad, I had to wait for the wind to drop for each shot but of course ended up with a lot of blurred shots anyway. Luckily there were just enough sharp ones to stitch a 360x180. Minutes after I finished shooting it started to rain, and it didn't stop until the next day, so I had double luck : )

          Erik Leeman

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" wrote:

          > Neat! I think it looks really great and has a nice unique
          > atmosphere.
          >
          > How do you keep a pole steady for 15 seconds?
          >
          > Too bad there's no sound!
        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
            Wow Erik !
            15 sec !
            Chapeau - your capabilities do extend mine by lightyears !

            My pole with a similar combination blurs at ab 1/20s or even 1/40s
            sometimes.
            The camera swings - even with no wind- like a "sheep tail"
            So my night shots are mostly ISO 800 shots.

            Can you give some more information ?
            (Pole, camera mount, turning, release .)

            Ciao
            Mike

            The weather war quite bad, I had to wait for the wind to drop for each
            shot but of course ended up with a lot of blurred shots anyway. Luckily
            there were just enough sharp ones to stitch a 360x180. Minutes after I
            finished shooting it started to rain, and it didn't stop until the next day,
            so I had double luck : )

            Erik Leeman

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" wrote:

            > Neat! I think it looks really great and has a nice unique
            > atmosphere.
            >
            > How do you keep a pole steady for 15 seconds?
            >
            > Too bad there's no sound!

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2010
              Well done, Erik. Your patience was rewarded with a truly splendid panorama.

              I was surprised to see so few lighted windows. You must have taken the
              photos
              in the very small hours well before dawn.

              Roger W.

              On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 06:07:55 +0900, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks Sacha!
              >
              > The weather war quite bad, I had to wait for the wind to drop for each
              > shot but of course ended up with a lot of blurred shots anyway. Luckily
              > there were just enough sharp ones to stitch a 360x180. Minutes after I
              > finished shooting it started to rain, and it didn't stop until the next
              > day, so I had double luck : )
              >
              > Erik Leeman
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" wrote:
              >>
              >> Neat! I think it looks really great and has a nice unique
              >> atmosphere.
              >>
              >> How do you keep a pole steady for 15 seconds?
              >>
              >> Too bad there's no sound!

              Business: www.adex-japan.com
              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            • erik_leeman
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                Thanks for having a look guys!

                I shot this panorama a week ago on Saturday-evening between 21:00 and 21:30. I too was surprised to see so many dark windows.

                The pole I use is an old ex-military pneumatic telescoping mast made of aluminium. Contemporary ones can be found here:
                <www.clarkmasts.be/pages/QT.html>
                Mine weighs about 10 kg's, and originally was about 10meters high.
                It was used as an antenna mast mounted on a jeep or truck.

                I removed the thinnest sections because they were too wobbly, and because now I can simply insert my Manfrotto monopod into the innermost tube. Onto the monopod I attach a modified NodalNinja 5 panohead holding the camera.
                Because the pole is hand held I simply turn the entire contraption, there's no fancy rotator. Shutter release is by radio remote.
                To keep it upright I use two Manfrotto spirit levels, mounted on opposite sides of the mast.

                Cheers!

                Erik Leeman

                (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" wrote:
                > Well done, Erik. Your patience was rewarded with a truly splendid
                > panorama.
                > I was surprised to see so few lighted windows. You must have taken
                > the photos in the very small hours well before dawn.
                > Roger W.
              • erik_leeman
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                  Hi all,

                  Because of a Javascript malfunction I added my nighttime polepano to the 'instant fullscreen' testpage as an alternative because that page uses swfobject.js instead of Fiero's detectvr.js, but I found it has the same issue.

                  A few days ago I installed the latest *debug* versions of the Flash v10.0.45.2 plugins for IE and Firefox/Opera/Safari(Windows), and now I see that with Safari v4.0.4 the plugin is not recognized properly.

                  The page using swfobject.js can be found here:

                  <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-FullscreenPano>

                  I've already received one e-mail describing the same problem with IE8 on Vista 64, did anyone else notice a problem with the Flash plugin detection on my web pages? If so, I'd sure like to know!

                  Thanks in advance!

                  Erik Leeman

                  (<http://www.erikleeman.com>)
                • Wim Koornneef
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                    Hello Erik,

                    Well done, the pano looks great.
                    I guess it was quite an adventure, to get the pole inside the building,
                    sticking it out through the roofwindow, keeping it in position, looking if
                    the wind is gone for a short moment, shooting, rotating and all the time
                    hoping that the rain will stay a away until you are finished. The payoff of
                    all the stress and efforts is a very nice pano.

                    BTW, I viewed the direct Fullscreen stamped version of the pano and this
                    time the mouse never disappeared when the keyboard esc key was used after
                    scrolling or a click in the index window.
                    If you did not solved it then the latest Mac OSX 10.6.3 (Safari 4.05)
                    upgrade that I installed a few days ago did it.

                    Best,
                    Wim
                  • erik_leeman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                      Hi Wim,

                      Indeed I found a cure for the disappearing cursor : )

                      There's still a short but critical loading phase during which a press on the [Esc] key will break my preloader, but chances are slim someone will hit it at the exact 'bad' moment.

                      Cheers!

                      Erik Leeman

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef wrote:
                      > Hello Erik,
                      >
                      > Well done, the pano looks great.
                      > I guess it was quite an adventure, to get the pole inside the
                      > building, sticking it out through the roofwindow, keeping it in
                      > position, looking if the wind is gone for a short moment, shooting,
                      > rotating and all the time hoping that the rain will stay a away
                      > until you are finished. The payoff of all the stress and efforts is
                      > a very nice pano.
                      >
                      > BTW, I viewed the direct Fullscreen stamped version of the pano and
                      > this time the mouse never disappeared when the keyboard esc key was
                      > used after scrolling or a click in the index window.
                      > If you did not solved it then the latest Mac OSX 10.6.3 (Safari
                      > 4.05) upgrade that I installed a few days ago did it.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      > Wim
                    • A Kielcz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                        Eric,
                        Which lens are you using to do this wonderful panos?

                        A Kielcz

                        Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                          As I mentioned in my initial message:

                          "It was shot with a Canon EOS 5D + 15mm Sigma fisheye (f8.0 - 15 sec. exposure @ISO 200). PTGui, Photoshop and Pano2VR did the rest."

                          Regards,

                          Erik Leeman

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz wrote:

                          > Eric,
                          > Which lens are you using to do this wonderful panos?
                          >
                          > A Kielcz
                          >
                          > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
                        • ptgroup
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 3, 2010
                            Although I only have the 32 Bit versions, your site runs like charm with
                            FF/Safari/IE/

                            ciao
                            mike
                            ----------------------------
                            ----------------------------
                            360° VR Fotografie:
                            http://www.360de.de

                            NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
                            http://www.abstraktfoto.de
                            -----------------------------
                            Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
                            http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
                              Sadly, I have to say that now my Opera 10.5 (latest spiffy version) shows
                              blanks for all the thumbnails, while your webpage tells me to please
                              disable my Flash blocker. I have hunted for all the options and cannot
                              find where Flash has been blocked, and indeed it works fine on other
                              sites.

                              Roger W.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
                                Thanks for the error report Roger!

                                I have several versions of Opera on my 3 WinXP machines, and none of them have a problem with my 'instant fullscreen' page (or any other of my experimental pages). They are all untouched standard installations, no custom security settings of any kind.
                                I'm downloading the latest version of Opera right now to see what happens with that one.

                                Erik Leeman

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" wrote:

                                > Sadly, I have to say that now my Opera 10.5 (latest spiffy version)
                                > shows blanks for all the thumbnails, while your webpage tells me to
                                > please disable my Flash blocker. I have hunted for all the options
                                > and cannot find where Flash has been blocked, and indeed it works
                                > fine on other sites.
                                >
                                > Roger W.
                              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
                                  On 4 Apr 2010 at 10:12, erik_leeman wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the error report Roger!
                                  >
                                  > I have several versions of Opera on my 3 WinXP machines, and none of them have a problem with my 'instant fullscreen' page (or any other of my experimental pages). They are all untouched standard installations, no custom security settings of any kind.
                                  > I'm downloading the latest version of Opera right now to see what happens with that one.

                                  There are no problems here with Opera 10.51/XP32.

                                  > Erik Leeman
                                  >
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Sadly, I have to say that now my Opera 10.5 (latest spiffy version)
                                  > > shows blanks for all the thumbnails, while your webpage tells me to
                                  > > please disable my Flash blocker. I have hunted for all the options
                                  > > and cannot find where Flash has been blocked, and indeed it works
                                  > > fine on other sites.
                                  > >
                                  > > Roger W.

                                • erik_leeman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 4, 2010
                                    I've just installed Opera 10.51 on my old laptop (WinXP), and no problems with that page here either.
                                    On this laptop I have the normal (non-debugging) Flash plugin version 10.0.45.2

                                    Is there a way to find out what goes wrong with Roger's machine?

                                    Erik Leeman