Re: Lens cap for shaved 10.5mm lens

  • conan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2 11:50 AM
      Yes, this lens gets used 'a lot' and is in and out of the bag/case. Quite often I need to replace it with a regular lens during the same shoot and when rushing that coating is going to get wasted in no time.

      Just thought someone may have come up with a simple yet ingenious solution that my lack of DIY skills wouldn't have come close to ;-)
    • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2 11:54 AM
        The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
        so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.

        Jakob
      • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 11:56 AM
          Sorry, I mean I glued them into the cap, of course.

          Jakob

          Jakob / Fotoverkstan skrev 2010-04-02 20:54:

          > The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
          > so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.
          >
          > Jakob

        • Uri Cogan
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 12:50 PM
            On 4/2/10 10:31 AM, conan wrote:

            > I've recently shaved the 10.5mm lens which to my amazement went really
            > well. I am however a little unclear as to how to adapt the original
            > lens cap so it doesn't push down too far and hit the glass?
            >
            > My obvious method would be to make a thin lip further down the lens
            > with strong tape going around so the lens cap can't go any further but
            > I know it's going to look like a 'Sunday afternoon' bodge job.
            >
            > Any ideas to make it more professional looking?

            I don't know about "professional looking" but there are several options:

            1. glue the piece that you shaved off the lens into the inner periphery
            of the original lens cap.
            2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
            pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
            well but looks... who cares?

            --

            Uri Cogan
            http://www.uricogan.com

            * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2 12:55 PM
              Hi Uri

              We (I) want to see pictures!

              2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

              > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
              > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
              > well but looks... who cares?

              We (I) want to see pictures!

              Best regards from the subtropical regions of México

              --
              L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
              felipe@...

            • conan
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2 3:07 PM
                Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.

                The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)

                Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                Andrew
              • Uri Cogan
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 5:19 PM
                  On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                  > We (I) want to see pictures!
                  >
                  > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <mailto:uri%40uricogan.com>>
                  >
                  > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                  > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                  > > well but looks... who cares?

                  Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg

                  It'll be there for a day or two only...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2 5:21 PM
                    Cool cap!

                    2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                    > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez wrote:
                    >
                    > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                    > >
                    > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                    > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>
                    > >
                    > > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                    > > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                    > > > well but looks... who cares?
                    > >

                    > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                    >
                    > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                    >
                    > --
                    >
                    > Uri Cogan
                    > http://www.uricogan.com
                    >
                    > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                    L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
                    felipe@...
                    1998-5246
                    www.fpk.com.mx

                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2 5:23 PM
                      .... "Better check your plumbing" ... does that include checking your camera
                      inventory if you have Nikons?

                      :)

                      Trausti

                      2010/4/2 L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...>

                      > Cool cap!
                      >
                      > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>
                      >

                      > > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                      > > >
                      > > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                      > > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>

                      > plumbing
                      > > >

                      > > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                      > >
                      > > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > >
                      > > Uri Cogan
                      > > http://www.uricogan.com
                      > >
                      > > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                      > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                      > felipe@...
                      > 1998-5246
                      > www.fpk.com.mx
                      > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
                      >
                      > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                      > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2 5:57 PM
                        On 2 Apr 2010 at 22:07, conan wrote:

                        > Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.
                        >
                        > The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)
                        >
                        > Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                        While you're waiting for the hardware stores to open again after Easter, check out this
                        one: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page413.htm