Tucson Wildflowers (Was: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Tucson 2010 - do it now!)

  • Andrew Crawford
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
      Don Bain wrote:
      > It has been a wet winter in the Sonoran Desert, and there is a good
      > chance for extensive displays of wildflowers in the Tucson area when we
      > are there. There is still snow on the mountains, but the temperatures
      > are rising day by day, and it should be just about perfect by the time
      > we are there.

      There are currently some nice wildflower displays not too far from
      Tucson. The are very localized and, as always, fragile.

      I was out near Surprise (a little North and West of Tucson) about a week
      ago and, there were a lot of wildflowers, including Mexican gold
      poppies, desert lupine and, the ever-present brittlebush.

      I was in Tucson about a week before that. Tucson has had a bit less
      rain than some of the areas a little to the North. So, you might have
      to drive a bit out of Tucson to get to a good display.

      I'm not sure how long the current flowers will hold out. It has been
      windy the last few days and, stuff is drying out quite a bit. There was
      a small brush fire a few days ago between Surprise and Phoenix.

      A friend of mine was up in the Superstitions (West of Phoenix, about 1.5
      hours North of Tucson) last weekend and, reported seeing a lot of
      budding brittlebush. That and, some of the stuff closer to Tucson is
      likely to be good in a couple weeks, if we get a little more rain. So,
      keep your fingers crossed.

      This site tends to have a few, erratic, anecdotal reports of the current
      status:

      http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/az.html

      Just to bring this back more on-topic: the first two panoramas on this
      (ancient, awful) page are from the nice 2001 wildflower display (back in
      the days when the Nikon CP 990 ruled the panoramic roost, so be gentle):

      http://www.evermore.com/qtvr/

      The Golden Dutchman (5th down) shows what you can expect from poppies
      and brittlebush, if the buds in the Superstitions bloom well.

      --
      Andrew Crawford
    • Don Bain
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
        Andrew,

        Thanks for the update!

        I was in Phoenix a month ago and it was green and lush, never seen it like that before.

        When I was in Tucson two weeks ago the poppies were blooming along the gravel sides of the highway, where they get extra water. Looked like a great bloom was getting ready, especially out towards Gila Bend. But, as you say, these things are hard to predict and don't last long.

        I took a pano at Lost Dutchman in 2000 with my first digital Olympus, probably not too far from your shot:
        http://virtualguidebooks.com/Arizona/CentralArizona/ApacheTrail/ApacheTrail.php

        No flowers at all that year.

        Don

        On Apr 2, 2010, at 11:36 AM, Andrew Crawford wrote:

        > Don Bain wrote:
        > > It has been a wet winter in the Sonoran Desert, and there is a good
        > > chance for extensive displays of wildflowers in the Tucson area when we
        > > are there. There is still snow on the mountains, but the temperatures
        > > are rising day by day, and it should be just about perfect by the time
        > > we are there.
        >
        > There are currently some nice wildflower displays not too far from
        > Tucson. The are very localized and, as always, fragile.
        >
        > I was out near Surprise (a little North and West of Tucson) about a week
        > ago and, there were a lot of wildflowers, including Mexican gold
        > poppies, desert lupine and, the ever-present brittlebush.
        >
        > I was in Tucson about a week before that. Tucson has had a bit less
        > rain than some of the areas a little to the North. So, you might have
        > to drive a bit out of Tucson to get to a good display.
        >
        > I'm not sure how long the current flowers will hold out. It has been
        > windy the last few days and, stuff is drying out quite a bit. There was
        > a small brush fire a few days ago between Surprise and Phoenix.
        >
        > A friend of mine was up in the Superstitions (West of Phoenix, about 1.5
        > hours North of Tucson) last weekend and, reported seeing a lot of
        > budding brittlebush. That and, some of the stuff closer to Tucson is
        > likely to be good in a couple weeks, if we get a little more rain. So,
        > keep your fingers crossed.
        >
        > This site tends to have a few, erratic, anecdotal reports of the current
        > status:
        >
        > http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/az.html
        >
        > Just to bring this back more on-topic: the first two panoramas on this
        > (ancient, awful) page are from the nice 2001 wildflower display (back in
        > the days when the Nikon CP 990 ruled the panoramic roost, so be gentle):
        >
        > http://www.evermore.com/qtvr/
        >
        > The Golden Dutchman (5th down) shows what you can expect from poppies
        > and brittlebush, if the buds in the Superstitions bloom well.
        >
        > --
        > Andrew Crawford

      • Andrew Crawford
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2010
          Don Bain wrote:
          > Andrew,
          >
          > Thanks for the update!
          >
          > I was in Phoenix a month ago and it was green and lush, never seen it
          > like that before.

          It really has been amazingly green this year. I've lived here for a
          long time and, it may be the greenest I've seen it. The timing on the
          rains has to be just right for a really good wildflower display, though.
          Still, there is a lot of potential.

          I just heard a little bit ago that the brittlebush and some of the cacti
          are blooming in one of the Phoenix mountain preserve parks (Dreamy Draw
          area). So, that's a good sign.

          If it weren't for the wind the last few days, I would be out checking
          more actively for the current conditions. It has just been flat out too
          windy to shoot flower macros and panoramas (due to the movement between
          shots).

          > When I was in Tucson two weeks ago the poppies were blooming along the
          > gravel sides of the highway, where they get extra water. Looked like a
          > great bloom was getting ready, especially out towards Gila Bend. But, as
          > you say, these things are hard to predict and don't last long.
          >
          > I took a pano at Lost Dutchman in 2000 with my first digital Olympus,
          > probably not too far from your shot:

          > No flowers at all that year.
          >
          > Don

          That looks familiar. I shot mine from the Lost Dutchman State Park. I
          have some friends who live about half a mile South of where I took that
          pano. So, that's approximately the view from their back patio.

          --
          Andrew Crawford
        • Andrew Crawford
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2010
            Just a quick update: I have reliable news that the desert South of
            Tucson was in full bloom as of this past weekend. There are also some
            poppies opening in the mountain preserve areas of Phoenix, now. So, it
            is looking good for next week.

            Best,

            --
            Andrew Crawford