Re: [PanoToolsNG] Lens cap for shaved 10.5mm lens

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      No, but overtime it will scratch the coating on the lens.

      Matt

      On 2 Apr 2010, at 18:52, Sacha Griffin wrote:

      > Seems a bit OCD.
      >
      > The plastic cap isn't going to scratch the lens. Mohs scale. And with the
      > cap on, it's usually going to be stored away.
      >
      > If you add a stop lip, it's most likely just going to look worse.
      >
      > Sacha Griffin
      >
      > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
      >
      > http://www.seeit360.net
      >
      > http://www.southern-digital.com
      >
      > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
      >
      > 404-551-4275

    • conan
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        Yes, this lens gets used 'a lot' and is in and out of the bag/case. Quite often I need to replace it with a regular lens during the same shoot and when rushing that coating is going to get wasted in no time.

        Just thought someone may have come up with a simple yet ingenious solution that my lack of DIY skills wouldn't have come close to ;-)
      • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
          so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.

          Jakob
        • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
            Sorry, I mean I glued them into the cap, of course.

            Jakob

            Jakob / Fotoverkstan skrev 2010-04-02 20:54:

            > The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
            > so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.
            >
            > Jakob

          • Uri Cogan
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              On 4/2/10 10:31 AM, conan wrote:

              > I've recently shaved the 10.5mm lens which to my amazement went really
              > well. I am however a little unclear as to how to adapt the original
              > lens cap so it doesn't push down too far and hit the glass?
              >
              > My obvious method would be to make a thin lip further down the lens
              > with strong tape going around so the lens cap can't go any further but
              > I know it's going to look like a 'Sunday afternoon' bodge job.
              >
              > Any ideas to make it more professional looking?

              I don't know about "professional looking" but there are several options:

              1. glue the piece that you shaved off the lens into the inner periphery
              of the original lens cap.
              2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
              pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
              well but looks... who cares?

              --

              Uri Cogan
              http://www.uricogan.com

              * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

            • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                Hi Uri

                We (I) want to see pictures!

                2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                > well but looks... who cares?

                We (I) want to see pictures!

                Best regards from the subtropical regions of México

                --
                L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                felipe@...

              • conan
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.

                  The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)

                  Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                  Andrew
                • Uri Cogan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                    On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                    > We (I) want to see pictures!
                    >
                    > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <mailto:uri%40uricogan.com>>
                    >
                    > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                    > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                    > > well but looks... who cares?

                    Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg

                    It'll be there for a day or two only...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                      Cool cap!

                      2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                      > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez wrote:
                      >
                      > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                      > >
                      > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                      > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>
                      > >
                      > > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                      > > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                      > > > well but looks... who cares?
                      > >

                      > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                      >
                      > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                      >
                      > --
                      >
                      > Uri Cogan
                      > http://www.uricogan.com
                      >
                      > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                      L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
                      felipe@...
                      1998-5246
                      www.fpk.com.mx

                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                        .... "Better check your plumbing" ... does that include checking your camera
                        inventory if you have Nikons?

                        :)

                        Trausti

                        2010/4/2 L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...>

                        > Cool cap!
                        >
                        > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>
                        >

                        > > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                        > > >
                        > > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                        > > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>

                        > plumbing
                        > > >

                        > > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                        > >
                        > > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > >
                        > > Uri Cogan
                        > > http://www.uricogan.com
                        > >
                        > > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                        > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                        > felipe@...
                        > 1998-5246
                        > www.fpk.com.mx
                        > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
                        >
                        > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                        > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                      • Bjørn K Nilssen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                          On 2 Apr 2010 at 22:07, conan wrote:

                          > Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.
                          >
                          > The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)
                          >
                          > Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                          While you're waiting for the hardware stores to open again after Easter, check out this
                          one: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page413.htm