RE: [PanoToolsNG] Lens cap for shaved 10.5mm lens

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      Seems a bit OCD.

      The plastic cap isn't going to scratch the lens. Mohs scale. And with the
      cap on, it's usually going to be stored away.

      If you add a stop lip, it's most likely just going to look worse.

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.seeit360.net

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        No, but overtime it will scratch the coating on the lens.

        Matt

        On 2 Apr 2010, at 18:52, Sacha Griffin wrote:

        > Seems a bit OCD.
        >
        > The plastic cap isn't going to scratch the lens. Mohs scale. And with the
        > cap on, it's usually going to be stored away.
        >
        > If you add a stop lip, it's most likely just going to look worse.
        >
        > Sacha Griffin
        >
        > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
        >
        > http://www.seeit360.net
        >
        > http://www.southern-digital.com
        >
        > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
        >
        > 404-551-4275

      • conan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          Yes, this lens gets used 'a lot' and is in and out of the bag/case. Quite often I need to replace it with a regular lens during the same shoot and when rushing that coating is going to get wasted in no time.

          Just thought someone may have come up with a simple yet ingenious solution that my lack of DIY skills wouldn't have come close to ;-)
        • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
            The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
            so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.

            Jakob
          • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              Sorry, I mean I glued them into the cap, of course.

              Jakob

              Jakob / Fotoverkstan skrev 2010-04-02 20:54:

              > The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
              > so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.
              >
              > Jakob

            • Uri Cogan
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                On 4/2/10 10:31 AM, conan wrote:

                > I've recently shaved the 10.5mm lens which to my amazement went really
                > well. I am however a little unclear as to how to adapt the original
                > lens cap so it doesn't push down too far and hit the glass?
                >
                > My obvious method would be to make a thin lip further down the lens
                > with strong tape going around so the lens cap can't go any further but
                > I know it's going to look like a 'Sunday afternoon' bodge job.
                >
                > Any ideas to make it more professional looking?

                I don't know about "professional looking" but there are several options:

                1. glue the piece that you shaved off the lens into the inner periphery
                of the original lens cap.
                2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                well but looks... who cares?

                --

                Uri Cogan
                http://www.uricogan.com

                * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

              • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  Hi Uri

                  We (I) want to see pictures!

                  2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                  > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                  > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                  > well but looks... who cares?

                  We (I) want to see pictures!

                  Best regards from the subtropical regions of México

                  --
                  L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                  felipe@...

                • conan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                    Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.

                    The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)

                    Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                    Andrew
                  • Uri Cogan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                      On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                      > We (I) want to see pictures!
                      >
                      > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <mailto:uri%40uricogan.com>>
                      >
                      > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                      > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                      > > well but looks... who cares?

                      Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg

                      It'll be there for a day or two only...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Cool cap!

                        2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                        > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez wrote:
                        >
                        > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                        > >
                        > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                        > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>
                        > >
                        > > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                        > > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                        > > > well but looks... who cares?
                        > >

                        > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                        >
                        > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                        >
                        > --
                        >
                        > Uri Cogan
                        > http://www.uricogan.com
                        >
                        > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                        L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
                        felipe@...
                        1998-5246
                        www.fpk.com.mx

                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                          .... "Better check your plumbing" ... does that include checking your camera
                          inventory if you have Nikons?

                          :)

                          Trausti

                          2010/4/2 L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...>

                          > Cool cap!
                          >
                          > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>
                          >

                          > > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                          > > >
                          > > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                          > > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>

                          > plumbing
                          > > >

                          > > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                          > >
                          > > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > >
                          > > Uri Cogan
                          > > http://www.uricogan.com
                          > >
                          > > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                          > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                          > felipe@...
                          > 1998-5246
                          > www.fpk.com.mx
                          > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
                          >
                          > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                          > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                        • Bjørn K Nilssen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                            On 2 Apr 2010 at 22:07, conan wrote:

                            > Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.
                            >
                            > The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)
                            >
                            > Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                            While you're waiting for the hardware stores to open again after Easter, check out this
                            one: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page413.htm