Lens cap for shaved 10.5mm lens

  • conan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm not the brightest person when it comes to DIY things :-(

      I've recently shaved the 10.5mm lens which to my amazement went really well. I am however a little unclear as to how to adapt the original lens cap so it doesn't push down too far and hit the glass?

      My obvious method would be to make a thin lip further down the lens with strong tape going around so the lens cap can't go any further but I know it's going to look like a 'Sunday afternoon' bodge job.

      Any ideas to make it more professional looking?

      Thanks,

      Andrew
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        Seems a bit OCD.

        The plastic cap isn't going to scratch the lens. Mohs scale. And with the
        cap on, it's usually going to be stored away.

        If you add a stop lip, it's most likely just going to look worse.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.seeit360.net

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          No, but overtime it will scratch the coating on the lens.

          Matt

          On 2 Apr 2010, at 18:52, Sacha Griffin wrote:

          > Seems a bit OCD.
          >
          > The plastic cap isn't going to scratch the lens. Mohs scale. And with the
          > cap on, it's usually going to be stored away.
          >
          > If you add a stop lip, it's most likely just going to look worse.
          >
          > Sacha Griffin
          >
          > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
          >
          > http://www.seeit360.net
          >
          > http://www.southern-digital.com
          >
          > GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...
          >
          > 404-551-4275

        • conan
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
            Yes, this lens gets used 'a lot' and is in and out of the bag/case. Quite often I need to replace it with a regular lens during the same shoot and when rushing that coating is going to get wasted in no time.

            Just thought someone may have come up with a simple yet ingenious solution that my lack of DIY skills wouldn't have come close to ;-)
          • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
              so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.

              Jakob
            • Jakob / Fotoverkstan
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                Sorry, I mean I glued them into the cap, of course.

                Jakob

                Jakob / Fotoverkstan skrev 2010-04-02 20:54:

                > The pieces I cut of the lens hood I glued into the shade to make a stop
                > so that the shade isn't able to scratch the coating.
                >
                > Jakob

              • Uri Cogan
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  On 4/2/10 10:31 AM, conan wrote:

                  > I've recently shaved the 10.5mm lens which to my amazement went really
                  > well. I am however a little unclear as to how to adapt the original
                  > lens cap so it doesn't push down too far and hit the glass?
                  >
                  > My obvious method would be to make a thin lip further down the lens
                  > with strong tape going around so the lens cap can't go any further but
                  > I know it's going to look like a 'Sunday afternoon' bodge job.
                  >
                  > Any ideas to make it more professional looking?

                  I don't know about "professional looking" but there are several options:

                  1. glue the piece that you shaved off the lens into the inner periphery
                  of the original lens cap.
                  2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                  pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                  well but looks... who cares?

                  --

                  Uri Cogan
                  http://www.uricogan.com

                  * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                    Hi Uri

                    We (I) want to see pictures!

                    2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                    > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                    > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                    > well but looks... who cares?

                    We (I) want to see pictures!

                    Best regards from the subtropical regions of México

                    --
                    L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                    felipe@...

                  • conan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                      Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.

                      The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)

                      Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                      Andrew
                    • Uri Cogan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                        On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                        > We (I) want to see pictures!
                        >
                        > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <mailto:uri%40uricogan.com>>
                        >
                        > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                        > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                        > > well but looks... who cares?

                        Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg

                        It'll be there for a day or two only...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Cool cap!

                          2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>

                          > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez wrote:
                          >
                          > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                          > >
                          > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                          > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>
                          > >
                          > > > 2. go to your neighbourhood hardware store and get a 2" rubber plumbing
                          > > > pipe cap. Mine is made by Ferenco inc. model QC-102. Works perfectly
                          > > > well but looks... who cares?
                          > >

                          > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                          >
                          > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                          >
                          > --
                          >
                          > Uri Cogan
                          > http://www.uricogan.com
                          >
                          > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                          L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
                          felipe@...
                          1998-5246
                          www.fpk.com.mx

                        • Trausti Hraunfjord
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                            .... "Better check your plumbing" ... does that include checking your camera
                            inventory if you have Nikons?

                            :)

                            Trausti

                            2010/4/2 L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...>

                            > Cool cap!
                            >
                            > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@...>
                            >

                            > > On 4/2/10 12:55 PM, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > We (I) want to see pictures!
                            > > >
                            > > > 2010/4/2 Uri Cogan <uri@... <uri%40uricogan.com> <mailto:
                            > > uri%40uricogan.com <uri%2540uricogan.com>>>

                            > plumbing
                            > > >

                            > > Okay, go to http://www.uricogan.com/hood.jpg
                            > >
                            > > It'll be there for a day or two only...
                            > >
                            > > --
                            > >
                            > > Uri Cogan
                            > > http://www.uricogan.com
                            > >
                            > > * "There is no green on their planet, they killed their Mother" *

                            > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                            > felipe@...
                            > 1998-5246
                            > www.fpk.com.mx
                            > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
                            >
                            > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                            > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

                          • Bjørn K Nilssen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                              On 2 Apr 2010 at 22:07, conan wrote:

                              > Excellent idea. The rubber ring idea would probably be perfect for what I need. Thanks for that.
                              >
                              > The lens pieces I cut off are in pretty much unusable shapes and sizes but would have worked as well had I done it correctly ;-)
                              >
                              > Thanks for all the posts, I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow.

                              While you're waiting for the hardware stores to open again after Easter, check out this
                              one: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page413.htm