Gigapixel question

  • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
      Hi everyone!

      I'm planning to shoot my first Gigapixel panos. I'd appreciate if anyone
      could tell me what is the minimal equipment you use to obtain an image of a
      resolution worth of a gigapixel resolution.

      Thanks in advance.

      --
      L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
      felipe@...

    • Bernhard Vogl
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
        No one answered that, problably because there's no "cookbok" existing ;-)
        However, some rules of thumb are here:
        - A Camera with at least >10 mpix helps
        - A good choice for a lens is 200 - 300mm depending on the crop factor
        of your camera. Focal lengths below don't make much sense in terms of
        final resolution and above 300mm things are starting to become tricky to
        shoot.
        - Use sturdy equipment (of course) the usual tripod and 360-head may be
        too fragile to shoot without visible vibration.

        If you plan to capture specific scenes, you may calculate the FOV and
        the resulting resolution of a camera/lens combination before buying
        specific equipment, e.g. with this calulator:
        http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

        HTH
        Bernhard

        Am 31.03.2010 20:59, schrieb L.D.I. Felipe B. González:
        > Hi everyone!
        >
        > I'm planning to shoot my first Gigapixel panos. I'd appreciate if anyone
        > could tell me what is the minimal equipment you use to obtain an image of a
        > resolution worth of a gigapixel resolution.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
          Thanks a lot Bernhard!

          I'm upgrading my equipment and I want to shoot my first Gigapixel pano (I'm
          not sure if Gigapixel is the future of panorama photography, but it's worth
          trying).

          2010/4/3 Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...>

          > However, some rules of thumb are here:
          > - A Camera with at least >10 mpix helps
          > - A good choice for a lens is 200 - 300mm depending on the crop factor
          > of your camera. Focal lengths below don't make much sense in terms of
          > final resolution and above 300mm things are starting to become tricky to
          > shoot.
          > - Use sturdy equipment (of course) the usual tripod and 360-head may be
          > too fragile to shoot without visible vibration.

          Haven't made calculations yet, but I hope that a focal length of 200mm on a
          Canon 50D mounted on my NN3 will be enough to make a test.

          Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          felipe@...