Re: Gigapan Epic first look / Merlin package

  • rami_kolor
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 31, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I take the opportunity of this thread to let you know that Kolor is currently on the final stage of creating a "Merlin package" that includes anything you need to use this head for gigapixel photography. We announced this package in the Merlin - Papywizard forum a few days ago (http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8466-wow-more-than-150-merliners).

      We think that the combination of the Merlin head and Papywizard is currently the best solution, not only in terms of robustness, but also versatility and price.

      Hundreds of photographers are closely following this project and it is now time to propose an affordable, quality solution to all. So we worked on this project over the last few months to gather all necessary equipment.

      The package will include:
      - The Merlin head (really!)
      - A tripod
      - A double-battery adapter
      - 2 batteries
      - A charger + a car adapter
      - A standard bracket
      - An L bracket
      - A trigger cable to be chosen depending on your DSLR camera (all main Canon, Nikon and Panasonic DSLR are supported, + other DSLRs)

      You will also have the choice between:
      - A Bluetooth interface (driven by Papywizard ; computer or compatible smartphone needed)
      - A German-made touch control panel (no other hardware needed on the field)

      The advantages of this package are numerous:
      - Everything you need is included in the package
      - The Merlin head was first created for astronomy, it is super robust
      - Ability to prepare shooting templates with Papywizard software on your computer
      - This is a versatile, open-source project
      - The double-battery that we chose can operate up to 11 hours
      - The log file is compatible with Autopano Pro and Autopano Giga software
      - We are preparing a detailed manual, video tutorials and support resources
      - The Merlin community is already huge and members can share their experiences in the forum

      We will be able to ship worldwide.

      Stay tuned!
      Bonjour des Alpes françaises,

      Rami
      Kolor team

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Brian Richards <brianlrichards@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Bernhard. Can anyone on this list recommend a Merlin/papywizard supplier in the USA or a turnkey supplier anywhere?
      >

      > Thanks
      >

      > Brian
      >

      > Re: Gigapan Epic first look
      > Posted by: "Bernhard Vogl" bvogl@... bernharv2000
      > Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm (PDT)
      >

      > Hello Brian,
      >
      > In Europe, a good source is http://www.teleskop-austria.at They have
      > also specialized on selling the head for photographers:
      > http://www.teleskop-austria.at/prod.php?lng=de&tid=8#foto-mottri-nn
      >
      > - Merlin multi-function photo head with dual axis motor drives 159,-
      > - Merlin - Bluetooth interface for Ursa Minor (also works with
      > Papywizard) 99,-
      > - L-Adapter with Camera Mount 49,-
      > Subtotal for the head: 307,- EUR
      >
      > - Papywizard: 0,- EUR
      >
      > - A device to control the head - in my case i decided to use a
      > full-equipped netbook from Samsung: 350,- EUR
      >
      > Even with a new netbook, the setup is still less expensive than the
      > Gigapan ;-)
      >
      > You can:
      > - create and use pre-defined standard panoramas
      > - create (gigapixel-) panoramas defined on the fly
      > - define XML control files to "program" the head for whatever movement
      > you wish (e.g. timelapse)
      >
      > Best regards
      > Bernhard

    • Vincèn
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 31, 2010
        2010/3/31 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

        > Great!
        > Then I would hope that you will also make available a package without the
        > tripod
        > included? I already have 3 tripods, and definitely don't need yet another
        > one ;)

        Probably and also other tripods more robust than original one furnished with
        Merlin head ;) in your case you already have 3 tripods, so you definitively
        need to continue your collection lol :D

        Vincèn