PanoTools to stitch an HDR panorama

  • Isaac Gerg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      HiHi,
      I have a panorama, 4 photos, made up of .hdr files (i.e. Each photo is an
      HDR photo (.hdr format)). I would like to stitch these photos together.
      However, when I run HUGIN using the .hdr files, I get an error. I have
      heard that autopano-sift does not support .hdr files as input but the
      article I read it from was dated.

      Can anyone comment on how to complete this task? One option I thought of
      was to generated the control points using .jpgs of the .hdr files and then
      someone use those control points to merge the .hdr files as I believe nona
      will merge .hdr files. I plan to do the tonemapping using another tool.

      Thanks in advance,
      Isaac

    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
        PTGui Pro is the way to go.
        I recently did some stitches with *.hdr files.
        If you don't want to make an investment for a single file and let someone do it for you may contact me offlist.

        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Isaac Gerg <isaac.gerg@...> wrote:

        > HiHi,
        > I have a panorama, 4 photos, made up of .hdr files (i.e. Each photo is an
        > HDR photo (.hdr format)). I would like to stitch these photos together.
        > However, when I run HUGIN using the .hdr files, I get an error. I have
        > heard that autopano-sift does not support .hdr files as input but the
        > article I read it from was dated.
        >
        > Can anyone comment on how to complete this task? One option I thought of
        > was to generated the control points using .jpgs of the .hdr files and then
        > someone use those control points to merge the .hdr files as I believe nona
        > will merge .hdr files. I plan to do the tonemapping using another tool.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Isaac

      • isaacgerg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
          Thanks for the info. However, I have a lot of imagery to process and need to
          include the routines into some software I am building so I am looking for
          something that is free and open source.

          Thanks,
          Isaac
        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
            Well, in this case I suggest to contact the Hugin developers.
            Nice and helpful guys.

            Jürgen

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, isaacgerg <isaac.gerg@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. However, I have a lot of imagery to process and need to
            > include the routines into some software I am building so I am looking for
            > something that is free and open source.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Isaac

          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
              On Wed 31-Mar-2010 at 04:25 -0800, isaacgerg wrote:

              > I can do this in Hugin, but I do it using the command-line tools?

              See this page on the wiki:
              http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell

              > I have a panorama, 4 photos, made up of .hdr files (i.e. Each
              > photo is an HDR photo (.hdr format)). I would like to stitch
              > these photos together. However, when I run HUGIN using the .hdr
              > files, I get an error.

              Yes, currently none of the control point generators you can use in
              Hugin support HDR data. You have to either create temporary
              tonemapped versions or use one of the bracketed layers, then
              substitute filenames before stitching.

              You can also do the entire HDR merging thing in Hugin from the
              bracketed source photos.

              --
              Bruno